Day 17: Trickery

Started by Grauniad, May 18, 2011, 09:59:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ebon Heart

Whatever they are, they just act as an intimidation factor... Like the hyper dots further down the level. Just ignore them and destroy them at the source with launchers, while some makers hold them down.
When the going gets tough, the tough get going. The smart left a long time ago.
Check out the amazing A Tragedy Forgotten CW2 map series!

Fisherck

Quote from: Kithros on May 18, 2011, 10:44:53 AM
When I've done it I always start by putting reactors everywhere I can (other than places that will get hit of course), and then i get 3 creeper makers (on 4x production, you'll want to get the ore rigs and the  remnants pretty quickly), once they get into position (1 creeper maker for every 2 tentacles) they almost completely stop the tentacles from moving forward, and then I make launchers with whatever energy I have left after that. After 3 or 4 launchers I tend to get a few blasters to get rid of the tentacles a bit faster so I can build more reactors. The key thing about makers here is that they use no energy, and early on there is very little space to build reactors to support mass blasters. With the technytes I pick building cost and reactor efficiency, and I don't pick up the holocube until all the creeper makers are up.

That is pretty much perfect. And by perfect, I mean how I do it. ;) But the makers do not deplete to much of the ore. I stopped mine with about a thousand in reserve when the chamber was taken over.
My CW2 Maps
My CW1 Maps
Quote from: Sqaz on August 28, 2011, 02:49:35 PM
The comments are here to comment, dare to use them.

Katra

I just built reactors in every safe space (except the spots I needed to put a couple beacons) built a couple blasters to keep packet lanes open, and drained the pool with launchers. (I had to do some cleanup of tentacles with the blasters.)
Power. Power! I must have more POWER!

Destroyer333

I need some help on day 17. I've spent more than 45 minutes on the level, only to lose the capsule

Fisherck

This belongs in CW2 Gameplay Discussion.

But this thread has a video on how to beat day 17
http://knucklecracker.com/forums/index.php?topic=6923.0

And here is thread discussing Day 17 too.
http://knucklecracker.com/forums/index.php?topic=6937.0
My CW2 Maps
My CW1 Maps
Quote from: Sqaz on August 28, 2011, 02:49:35 PM
The comments are here to comment, dare to use them.

TonyP2000

I took my damn time with this one. I was really short on energy and took too long to build any defenses. I sealed off the left most tentacle/tree with a repulser, but by the time I built a blaster the other tentacles were already out. I simply built reactors where ever I could and chipped away the the tentacles with a couple of blasters. I would then fill up the holes with a constant steam of anti-creeper and move on to the next tentacle. It was only a matter of time before I had a couple of launchers out and had all of the creeper pushed back into that hole.   
Vote Tony!

Kithros

The main thing that you need to notice about the tentacles, is that they really never do *ANYTHING* other than block packets once they get extremely high (idling for 5+ minutes). There's really no need to use blasters to cut down the tentacles - makers are nice because they use no energy so they can reduce the time spent significantly (and the friendly creeper is nice for the drones in the chamber below anyway), but you don't really need to devote any resources to the tentacles - just go straight to launchers to start killing the pool below pretty much.

Kithros

Remember to save before opening the last chamber - but beyond that you basically want to have just *lots* of upgraded launchers, and dig to the capsule before clearing out all the creeper (as soon as you have an opening), and don't worry about moving in at all.