Custom Map #2062: Queen takeover [Queen / LPAC]. By: svartmes

Started by AutoPost, July 26, 2021, 06:41:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

AutoPost

This topic is for discussion of map #2062: Queen takeover [Queen / LPAC]

Author: svartmes
Size: 320x100

CS Z

Fun map.  Rift lab can be taken out in 8 minutes and the entire map can be done in about 17 minutes if you:

Spoiler
Take out the shield at the emitter closest to the rift lab that's still being built right at the very beginning.  Give the emitter a boost or two to wipe out access to those 3 Redon nodes to start starving the shields.  Boost the Dark Tower and wipe out its nullifier and nearby microrift when you've got some eggs.  Once the Dark Tower has been upgraded sufficiently to block access to the Factory and the shields are down, use a number of eggs to wipe out the rift lab.  Total time for that is about 8 minutes.  After that, the rest of the map will be starved for energy, so just boost emitters and secure various spots (e.g. flip and AC breeder) as you see fit.
[close]

svartmes

Glad you all liked it :)

@CS Z
Hey thanks for the concept! Yeah I'm aware there's some speed strats (the unbuilt shield is intentional) that make for an easy win but honestly I'm fine with most exploits people can come up with, whichever way you want to play it is up to you. I guess maybe it could be solved with placing some energy packets around eliminating the need for the rift lab.
One thing I had thought of was to make it so you could only place your weapons near creeper and not the units, forcing you to begin from the free emitter and work your way from there, but as I'm a novice I didn't wanna mess with your scripts too much.

I had some trouble getting the win condition to trigger at first as I don't fully understand the rpl and vector coordinates involved (and i guess ERNs count as player units) but I managed to atleast get it working in the end. It seems overly complicated just to check for remaining units though. Maybe it's easier to check for creeper coverage?

CS Z

Quote from: svartmes on July 26, 2021, 11:27:54 AM
Glad you all liked it :)

@CS Z
One thing I had thought of was to make it so you could only place your weapons near creeper and not the units, forcing you to begin from the free emitter and work your way from there, but as I'm a novice I didn't wanna mess with your scripts too much.

I had some trouble getting the win condition to trigger at first as I don't fully understand the rpl and vector coordinates involved (and i guess ERNs count as player units) but I managed to atleast get it working in the end. It seems overly complicated just to check for remaining units though. Maybe it's easier to check for creeper coverage?

There's been some recent work on the units by @numberguy that fix various bugs in the units and also do some of what you suggested (basically if a unit is nullified, you can't drop an egg).  You might want to check those out.

Yeah, ERNs count as friendly units.  In the original map, I allowed for a few units to be left on the map + the ERNs that way the win registered once it was "close enough."  And then you get the satisfaction of watching a few more units blow up at the very end.  Creeper coverage is certainly another option.  Various cursor maps use creeper coverage to determine cursor power.

Niflthaena

I had a lot of fun with this. The unbuilt enemies, the places where shields aren't quite placed right, the poorly defended airstrip, the patches of breeder that are just vulnerable enough to hold quickly... it makes for an enemy with no major weaknesses, but enough minor ones to apply death by a thousand cuts. No one strategy makes it trivial, but I was able to get sub-20 times with three different sets of strategies, which says good things about giving meaningful choice to the player.

Please make more. You've got a good eye for map design.

numberguy

Ye I was gonna say a couple things but seems someone already mentioned it.

My v1.1 has the workaround script for : Rocks being unselectable after placing and if you place them not near an enemy they will do a few attempts before removing themselves and giving you back the rock ( incase of certain misplace circumstances ), also has the egg and rock being unplaceable near nullified enemies that way you absolutely have to spread yourself from the emitter and or any creep that you own.
You can fiddle the range of the egg and rock for this circumstance of spreading too far too easily.
Counting the units on the map condition didn't work for me so I also kept the defeating the rift lab as my winning condition, yes there are ways to win by these conditions but I didn't fool with it either. :)

goodluck

Lentil

This was enjoyable. I like the fact that placed eggs and rocks had to be within range of creeper to go off. I had a good time laying a string of eggs and when placing the last one next to creep, watching them chain react.  Oh how pissed off I would be if the creeper AI could do this to me when playing non-pac maps.

Please make more. Looking forward to what else you come up with.  Just don't hit us with 20 Berthas and Thors.  :-)

westyx

I really enjoyed that once a unit was dead it wasn't rebuilt, which gave a sense of progress at all times.