Game not saving progress

Started by DaveThe6th, October 05, 2019, 06:28:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DaveThe6th

I have played through most of Arc Eternal but every time I close the game it reverts me back to Frykt and so I then have to play through all the levels again to unlock them. I'm on windows 10 and have had this problem since December 2018 (only got round to looking at it now). Rest of the game works fine and no other games seem to have this problem.

GoodMorning

There are a few questions to ask - did it ever work, what changed when it stopped, what OS are you on.
It might help to look at the game log (after you'd played a mission, so the game has tried to modify the files).

However, this seems like another bit of software interfering, possibly a backup utility or antivirus; or it could be a folder-permissions thing.

I'm sure someone with more knowledge will be along soon enough, but it will definitely be easier to help you with the log-file.

(The Windows path for the Steam version is: C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Creeper World 3\CW3_Data\output_log.txt ; other versions and OSs will have equivalent paths.)

I hope this helps.
A narrative is a lightly-marked path to another reality.

DaveThe6th

It never saved the progress past that point,  and do you want the log file?

Builder17

Quote from: DaveThe6th on October 06, 2019, 03:07:41 PM
It never saved the progress past that point,  and do you want the log file?

Yes please, find log file and attach it to your post. (from Attachments and other options)

GoodMorning

Quote from: DaveThe6th on October 06, 2019, 03:07:41 PM
It never saved the progress past that point [...]

The fact that it saved your progress until that point may be important - which was the point, no pun intended, that I was trying to make.
(Is that considered a pun?)
A narrative is a lightly-marked path to another reality.

DaveThe6th

It still remembers up to the Frykt system and here is the log file

Builder17

Do you have Steam with Creeper World 3 installed on any other computer?

Karsten75

For a quick test, please try and follow the instructions in this thread:

https://knucklecracker.com/forums/index.php?topic=30283.0

I'm suspecting that you perhaps have a 3rd party anti-virus product that blocks writing to the progress file, or that you have for one reason or another lost authorization to write to the file or the location of the file.

Your log file looks substantially different than mine, but I can't explain the reasons why, except that you have a different GPU than mine - and that should not make that much difference.

I'll alert Knuckle Cracker  to the existence of this thread, and perhaps he has different insight.  But for now, please try the steps as outlined in the topic I linked you to.

DaveThe6th

Yes, I have Kaspersky total security anti-virus running and can get in the way of things so I will check its logs to see if it will tell me if it blocked anything. I tried the fix but it only sort of worked and I have attached pictures of what it did.

Karsten75

Try and white-list the game and it's files with Kaspersky (not sure how to do it, you may have to contact their tech support)