Custom Map #7676: Regallion's ABSORBER. By: yum234

Started by AutoPost, August 24, 2019, 01:43:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Riskbreaker

I found the step by step explanation fairly easy to understand...

EEderle

Yes - thanks for the explanation !

And Yum : your maps are GREAT although I am still struggling with a few

marvinitfox

Not your best map.

No, not the start. That is VERY good, although inappropriate to include a nonstandard tricksy start when also introducing a new feature.

But... The new absorbent walls?
They work as specified, no bugs that I could see.
But.... so what?
Definitely this map did not actually gain anything from having the new unit.

Riskbreaker

Quote from: marvinitfox on August 24, 2019, 04:31:55 PM
Not your best map.

No, not the start. That is VERY good, although inappropriate to include a nonstandard tricksy start when also introducing a new feature.

But... The new absorbent walls?
They work as specified, no bugs that I could see.
But.... so what?
Definitely this map did not actually gain anything from having the new unit.

the point is to show/test how they work...not to elaborate some intrincate use of a feature that was just recently created.

chwooly

Quote from: Schizo on August 24, 2019, 08:13:27 AM
I don't know why there is so much hate for this map.  I beat it first try without much difficulty.  Just because you don't like it, doesn't mean you have to be rude to Yum.  His/Her first language is NOT English.  So, the instructions may not have been clear to everyone.  Instead of just giving the map a 1 out of 10, how about you ask others for advice.  I could have given you advice on how to play the map.  I think what I am trying to say is that some of you really should calm down.  Yum has made a TON of maps for everyone in at least 3 Knucklecracker games.  And all for FREE.  Show some appreciation, not hate.

Lets start this by agreeing that Yum is 1 of the best map makers here in KC. And that no-one wants him to stop making maps, hurt his feelings or in any other way make him feel unappreciated.

That being said;

I really don't think people are trying to be rude, They are frustrated because the start is neither logical or intuitive, It isn't even a "damn I am stupid for not thinking about that" moment. In order for creeper to cross the void we have been taught by PAC maps that we need digi to get across and by CSM maps that there are levels that creeper can't overcome. Unfortunately as I am very well aware, This media doesn't lend it self very well to showing emotion. So when someone is frustrated and writes, it often comes across as hateful, disrespectful or just plain mean. Then Yum responds and since English is not his native language and due to the limitations of the media, he comes across as condescending.  Not a good mix.

About the map in general,
I have raised and lowered that pool more than 8 times, am at 30mins in game time and have restarted at least 5 times and have had no success in getting 1 fe to flip for me. So even with the hint help the start is not fun for me. 
Spoiler
Once I figured out that I need to leave the wall up by the crystal the game was started in  less then 5 mins.
[close]
I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do."
― Robert A. Heinlein

yum-forum

Now available video of this game  from DarkRubberNeck:  :D

1560 maps in CW2, CW3 and PFE till now
last

Johnny Haywire

Wow, controversial map eh?

Actually, to Chwooly's point about PAC maps... there are times when you have to use the force arrow thing in a PAC map to get the creeper > 500 or whatever limit, and it spills over. I've noticed that before, and I don't know why that varies from map to map but to me, terping was kinda an obvious solution but only because it was the only thing to do.

But while I like difficult starts that make you think, I think this particular required strategy is a bit of "insider information" - i.e., only people who've played a lot of these maps would likely know how to do this. As for the walls, I kinda agree with Riskbreaker on that. I didn't find them to be useful nor hurtful.

Perhaps my favorite part of these maps is the upgrade feature. I usually max that out first before expanding, which makes things less stressful.

All in all, I really liked this map. Keep up the great work, and feel free to experiment with whatever ya like, Yum! Good lu!  ;D ;D
You disagree with this sentence, don't you?

yum-forum

last

Hurk

I enjoy almost all your maps Yum, but this one, no. i do not like maps that require spill mechanics. they are extremely un-intuitive, and completely in-obvious. I never assume that the way to play was to break the rules of normal play. spill is a failure mechanic... IE you have not done enough to counter enemy or havent progressed fast enough, etc. so seeing it as the main mechanic to start a game is completely counter to anything i would think of.

yum-forum

last