Custom Map #1717: Boundless Knowledge. By: Gotha

Started by AutoPost, June 22, 2021, 09:08:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AutoPost

This topic is for discussion of map #1717: Boundless Knowledge

Author: Gotha
Size: 281x273

Desc:
With the jester of a pirate beaten our hero uncovers the Drone Processing Plant, a massive factory that holds the secrets of the universe and knowledge of who he is, to what ends will he hunt for this truth? - Story driven, Previous level "Enter: Oilbeard" First level "Lost at Sea" -

Gotha

Time for more lovely dev insight, This level was a nightmare to make, I hope i made the lag overall bareable? its hard for me to judge due to my monitor size constantly screwing with game preformance (turns out 1300x700 isn't the norm, who knew)

All and all this level sets up the main point of the story and the next step in our heros quest, the interesting thing for me to decide on is if i want to follow his perspective a bit longer or one of the other factions? it'll be a choice for sure

Now to spoiler some other notes
Spoiler
So varro is supposed to be a foil to ticon in this story, both endlessly will pursue their goals, but that'll be more clear later on hopefully, writing character interactions is still VERY much my weakness though i am rather proud of this one and most of what the construct talks about

If you wonder why you can't build within the sphere simple, theres 4 GIANT PRPL cores with no scripts attached, 3 70x70 and one 35x35 one, it doesn't block AI ships from firing but prevents players from entering

On that note, given its meant to be a full sphere the fact you can see space under it is a bit dumb, it took about 20 minutes but i got the exact size that i could place a PRPL as a single tile that doesn't overlap or anything but each core by hand needs me to set the image and size on the map.. so like, no? thats insane work and i'd only put that effort in for a final level, assuming the core amount doesn't tank the game in the process
[close]

Ultimately i am happy with this level and i think its the best i can do for the idea i wanted, maybe others will dislike the lag? i found it playable and not much of an issue due to being beatable in 7 minutes (and i don't even go all that fast!) next few levels will not feature giant fleet battles like the sphere and thus frame rates should be fine up until the finale, where to save the frame rate most of it will be split into different levels (Yes, the ending is infact already planned, with more than one ending ;))

piggood

Nice map series!, can't wait for the next map.  :)