Custom Map #1715: Enter: Oilbeard. By: Gotha

Started by AutoPost, June 20, 2021, 07:30:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AutoPost

This topic is for discussion of map #1715: Enter: Oilbeard

Author: Gotha
Size: 270x265

Desc:
Showing off his skills, Our hero, Now named Ticon sets out for the drone processing plant, Only to face a new foe, a truly feared pirate.. or something like that - Story Driven, Starting Mission "Lost At Sea" Previous level "Warm Welcome" -

Gotha

Wooboy, This one took much longer to get out, about 60% of the dev time on it was fine tuning the smallest of enemy placements, such as if the struc generators dropped energy fields or not (They do so right and middle attack paths have the supply ranges needed) and what enemies to place around (The MK7 infront of the ship was to make the left and middle paths harder as going down the throat of the enemy proved far too easy and would generally be everyones first idea)

Gonna spoiler the rest of this dev insight for those who care
Spoiler
Other difficult to choose parts of the level were exact enemy attack waves and how often, In total you fight about four tappers and two roadkills (or 5/1, i forget exactly, but i'll assume its 4/2) that attack your fleet, however you can easily take the first shipyard before it goes online with omni use, thusly you only really fight two tappers/roadkills in the level and even then the extra tappers/roadkill take a long while to start building, you generally should have the hunter by then

Beyond that, writing oilbeard was simply a treat to write, so many friends pitched in ideas for what brand of nonsense he brings to the table, a good pal stefan sent me a site of logical fallacies and that gave me most of my ideas, hope the character is well loved, as he will most surely appear again down the road, either as an enemy again, friend or play as him, depends on what i find the most fun to play when the time comes

Next level will also be a bigger scaled one then back to more roughly the size of warm welcome and thus should be much faster to get out
[close]

Hope you guys enjoy this, the high ratings on the first two levels so far really brings me a ton of joy and drives me to make more and more levels and ideas, its nice after years and years of wanting to but never quite making creeper world storylines for one reason or another

Oh yeah also units has descptions now, i got a few ship slots to fill out (the pirates lack most heavy class ships, F) then i think i'll upload them and maintain a page on the factions of this story and what they do, as their prime goals have either been outright said or implied so far, i think the mercs is the one most hidden so far but like, they'er mercs its not that hard to guess that they do stuff for money

Jimragnark

hi gotha

i know that the knucklecracker games are not soo known but it still have a fanbase on it.
BUT ANYWAYS
that map was good and a balanced difficulty and the ship desings are creative and somehow it got my attention on it,and the dialogue is kinda decent
i liked it and im giving 10 rate.
i can't wait to see a titan ship

goodluck
signed
Jimragnark.

Gotha

Quote from: Jimragnark on June 21, 2021, 04:35:08 PM
hi gotha

i know that the knucklecracker games are not soo known but it still have a fanbase on it.
BUT ANYWAYS
that map was good and a balanced difficulty and the ship desings are creative and somehow it got my attention on it,and the dialogue is kinda decent
i liked it and im giving 10 rate.
i can't wait to see a titan ship

goodluck
signed
Jimragnark.

Thanks alot!  ;D

I am not a writer by any means so yeah, dialouge being 'kinda decent' is the most i can hope for lol, its the part of the writing process that gets me the most (I consider myself a good writer for plots, but actually getting that across through dialouge is where my weakness sinks in, i think years of roleplaying on other sites kinda enforced that, usually people just madlibs their way through scenes)

For the gameplay, this is the part i always focus on the *most* as i honestly expect most folks to skip over the story and want to play the game part of the game, in which case i want to offer something that is challenging in a fair way, no insta fuck yous or nothing and more just enemies taking up proper forts and defenses while you have to consider what ship is the best, as each faction class has pros and cons, The pirates are quick to build, Mercs are insanely effective but costly, The drones tend to be your muscle due to their large scale units

I do always fear a level will be too challenging, i get the advantage of learning the best opening plays (or atleast good ones) and knowing what'll come later on in the levels ontop of the fact i've been playing particle fleet for years and try my best to be good at it

The titan ships are planned, they don't get that big though mostly to save my poor poor framerate, if the map can't run decently well on times 2 speed then i scale it down so it feels more playable, i think thats why the old decagon maps tended to get rated down alot dispite being fantasic levels

Best wishs, Signed, Gotha