Custom Map #626: Recover the Artifact. By: blainicus

Started by AutoPost, February 11, 2017, 04:08:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

AutoPost

This topic is for discussion of map #626: Recover the Artifact

Author: blainicus
Size: 300x150

Desc:
Over 1,000,000 stellar years ago, the Origin Tablet was lost in Redacted Space. With the particulate threat amassing, a recovery mission is launched. The fate of the galaxy rests in your hands.

blainicus

If you guys could give feedback on this I would appreciate it. Trying to figure out what I did well, and what I can do better.

stdout

It was a fantastic map and the ratings show that. I love maps that include flip emitters, as well as those that allow multiple attacks involving omnis. Moving down this tunnel with each flip emitter adding to your strength was excellent.

I'd love to see more from you!

blainicus

Quote from: stdout on February 11, 2017, 11:06:03 PM
It was a fantastic map and the ratings show that. I love maps that include flip emitters, as well as those that allow multiple attacks involving omnis. Moving down this tunnel with each flip emitter adding to your strength was excellent.

I'd love to see more from you!

Absolutely will make more! Thanks man!

IanD

Did it in the end. Start was far too difficult IMO, seeming to require a very precise sequence of actions in order to survive. After that it maintained a reasonable challenge to the end.

stdout

I found the start was extremely easy, actually.

Spoiler
Activate emitter control and point those 3 blue emitters into the cavern as an impenetrable wall of blue particles. You then have plenty of time to build up your fleet.
[close]

Dark Ambition

Quote from: stdout on February 12, 2017, 01:36:46 PM

Spoiler
Activate emitter control and point those 3 blue emitters into the cavern as an impenetrable wall of blue particles. You then have plenty of time to build up your fleet.
[close]

Yeah, that's what I did. Amp emitter control, point them at the particle funnel, that's like a ten to fifteen minute buffer right there.Probably not THAT long, but still.

Sorrontis

Alright, that was a fun map. 10/10 from me.

.... Now  the nit-picking.

• The lag must be crazy for most players. Although the sheer number of particles makes sense in the map, it must kill weaker systems
  • Available power balance = very good in my mind
  • Core Drill = Perfect for this map. All other ships.... not so much. When you have a large number of weak particles, MK7s aren't really worth it. It doesn't make the map harder, just slower. A series of cannons/missile frigates would have been nice.
  • Power sources in the path of 6k particles; sure for a few, but when your forward movement is stopped because the shielding blue particles can't protect your mines, it gets hard.
  • Omni balance; perfect! You gave us some omnis to do the job, but they can't win the map for us. Maybe spread out the omni pickups a bit so we can increase the numbers as we go.
  • Good balance on amp gems and flip emitters.
  • Stunner spawners without stunner defence = that'll hurt your rating. However, you don't over do it, so that's fine in my book. If you had staggered the stunner timers, I think it might have been better.
"If you want others to be happy, practice compassion. If you want to be happy, practice compassion."

blainicus

Quote from: Sorrontis on February 12, 2017, 03:59:07 PM

• The lag must be crazy for most players. Although the sheer number of particles makes sense in the map, it must kill weaker systems
  • Core Drill = Perfect for this map. All other ships.... not so much. When you have a large number of weak particles, MK7s aren't really worth it. It doesn't make the map harder, just slower. A series of cannons/missile frigates would have been nice.
  • Power sources in the path of 6k particles; sure for a few, but when your forward movement is stopped because the shielding blue particles can't protect your mines, it gets hard.
  • Omni balance; perfect! You gave us some omnis to do the job, but they can't win the map for us. Maybe spread out the omni pickups a bit so we can increase the numbers as we go.
  • Stunner spawners without stunner defence = that'll hurt your rating. However, you don't over do it, so that's fine in my book. If you had staggered the stunner timers, I think it might have been better.

Thank you man! That was really helpful! This was just the kind of stuff I'm looking for.

On my next map, I intend to use hard particles to reduce lag. I noticed that also.

I only have like 30 hours put into particle fleet including map making, so my understanding of gun balance is not great, thanks for the advice about that.

In regards to the omnis, my goal was to prevent omni rushing, so I moved all of them to midgame, but yea I could have had a few in cavern 1.

In regards to 7, the idea behind that was to make mine dischargers a strategic decision before you get to the one discharger ship. Basically I was aiming to diversify the tech approaches. You're definitely right, I should stagger the timers, maybe use one instead of two with that fleet setup.

Sorrontis

Quote from: blainicus on February 12, 2017, 04:24:08 PM
Spoiler
Quote from: Sorrontis on February 12, 2017, 03:59:07 PM

Thank you man! That was really helpful! This was just the kind of stuff I'm looking for.

On my next map, I intend to use hard particles to reduce lag. I noticed that also.

I only have like 30 hours put into particle fleet including map making, so my understanding of gun balance is not great, thanks for the advice about that.

In regards to the omnis, my goal was to prevent omni rushing, so I moved all of them to midgame, but yea I could have had a few in cavern 1.

In regards to 7, the idea behind that was to make mine dischargers a strategic decision before you get to the one discharger ship. Basically I was aiming to diversify the tech approaches. You're definitely right, I should stagger the timers, maybe use one instead of two with that fleet setup.
[close]

I really should have said this. It's a great first map for a first timer. Congrats!
And of course, if you need more hints and.or questions answered, ask any of the Map Makers ! (that includes me)
"If you want others to be happy, practice compassion. If you want to be happy, practice compassion."

Dark Ambition

QuoteIt's a great first map for a first timer. Congrats!

So true. This map was great, made even more impressive for me by the fact that it's your first! I remember when I finally ended up taking the first cavern, I got that "Hell yeah, score 1 for me, 0 for particulate!" feeling that I rarely get from many of the maps on here.

If your making more maps, I cant wait to see em :D

blainicus

Thank you guys :) It was my second one, made within the space of a week, the other is "Vesuvius". Learned a bit from that one.

IanD

Quote from: stdout on February 12, 2017, 01:36:46 PM

Spoiler
Well, pointing the emitters to the right was a no-brainer. That gave me some time, though not a lot. What took me several tries was working out how and when to juggle the active upgrades, exactly where to send the very short-lived 2 omnis, how to get those omnis built, which ships to make first, where to send those ships. All that against 4 stunner blobs which couldn't be defended against at first (and if they hit one of those big lathes it's close to meaning a restart due to the time taken to recharge their batteries).
[close]

GoodMorning

Odd - I must have done something strange. The start seemed straightforward to me.

I dropped the HQ in and took the lower starting mine, began construction there, grabbed the other mines, and then set the standard lathes to destroying the closest enemy mine every time it built. While this wasn't effective indefinitely, by the time it failed I had a Core Drill in the second chamber (I was lucky, out of all of them, they took one hit during the entire map). That and the two Omnis took most of the map, with the other Core drills assisting later. I think I upgraded build/move and power.

A very nice map, and the large lathe approach is one I like. A second engine might be useful, though. The lesser lathes were rather less useful.

All in all, a matter of energy range for the largest ships was my time limiter. Although it might have been more effective to gather the Core Drill pickups and then charge the Progenitor with them. Then again, I'm not a speed player, what do I know?

I hope to see more from you, you have come a long way since Vesuvius.
A narrative is a lightly-marked path to another reality.