Mission: Which is the 'best' country?

Started by Cavemaniac, December 01, 2011, 04:41:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

xoft

xoft

Mauritania done. Left gravity, right builddir, surface emitter, 10 phantoms; but still too easyto be much fun.

Loren Pechtel

Quote from: xoft on January 09, 2012, 04:43:57 PM
Ghana and Gambia done. Neither was interesting.

Some may have noticed, for the others I'm giving a little trick: pressing the N key while the game is paused will step the game one frame. Using this, you can achieve a pretty tight timing that might be needed in some missions - as soon as you grab the crystal, or as soon as that terrain is digged... That's micro-stepping ;)

Loren Pechtel, what did you spend those technytes on? I spent my first batch on decreasing unit cost, this helped me reduce the build-time needed for the dark beam, as well as for all those reactors. The rest was used for packet speed and energy storage. The second batch was used to improve reactor efficiency and I don't remember what else.

EDIT: I tried re-playing the level, and I got to ~16 energy and running dark beam at 1:40 :)

That N command let me get a lot farther than I did before but I still only had 9 at crunch time.  I'll try again.

Finally, although I still can't come close to your energy level.  I didn't even have 13 when I had to switch the dark beam on.

SmileyCoder

Here is a way to do the first emitter that doesn't even require use of experimentals.

Sorry about the sound quality. Forgot to turn of the microphone, and you can even hear my microwave going off from heating lunch at some point :P
Best of luck with your game,
TheSmileyCoder

TheSmileyCoders YouTube channel feat. tutorials on using Treeviews in Access
I might have promised fool proof, but I never promised user proof.

Katra

Myanmar liberated. No particular challenge.

Also Burma (the former name of the country.) Ten phantoms launching from practically on the surface, and one huge roughly boot shaped chamber to clear. (plus the phantom gateway and another with 2 emitters in a separate small chamber.) Not much of a challenge once you sit six phantom coils right on top of the launch gateway. (First time I've been able to do that without digging.)

Two of the gateways on this one are sitting directly on emitters.
Power. Power! I must have more POWER!

xoft

xoft

Romania done. Disappointingly easy - although it has a surface emitter and gateway, it is too easy - too many gems near the surface.

Loren Pechtel

Quote from: SmileyCoder on January 11, 2012, 06:19:31 AM
Here is a way to do the first emitter that doesn't even require use of experimentals.

Sorry about the sound quality. Forgot to turn of the microphone, and you can even hear my microwave going off from heating lunch at some point :P

I would have thought you would have run out of energy with that strategy.

Loren Pechtel

Monaco is done.  The rich can't put up much of a defense.

Montenegro, though, I'm stuck.  Just under the surface there is a chamber going virtually all the way across (and counting decaying terrain it goes all the way), many weak spots that will break through and tough drones besides.

Loren Pechtel

Micronesia (Federated States of) defeated.  A pain because again it has a huge chamber just under the surface but this one doesn't break out and you have a mountain you can tunnel into for some build space.

Cavemaniac

Updated.

Won't be long before we can start arguing about which is the best country in the world!
Be yourself. Everyone else is already taken.

Loren Pechtel

Mauritius is down.

As is Liechtenstein.

Everything left is too much for me.

Cavemaniac

Quote from: Loren Pechtel on January 12, 2012, 05:29:59 PM
Mauritius is down.

As is Liechtenstein.

Everything left is too much for me.

Updated.

Now have a crack at some of the 'fun' maps so you can nominate your favourite(s)!
Be yourself. Everyone else is already taken.

xoft

Netherlands and Palau done. Neither was any challenge, both were slogging missions.

Katra

Quote from: Loren Pechtel on January 11, 2012, 10:27:02 PM
Montenegro, though, I'm stuck.  Just under the surface there is a chamber going virtually all the way across (and counting decaying terrain it goes all the way), many weak spots that will break through and tough drones besides.

I too am forced to admit defeat. Once the second layer of  decaying terrain on the left erodes away the field there pushes creeper out and overwhelms me. Too strong to hold down with any number of repulsors I have power to build, and the drones take out shields...
Power. Power! I must have more POWER!