Mission: Which is the 'best' country?

Started by Cavemaniac, December 01, 2011, 04:41:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

xoft

Quote from: Loren Pechtel on January 08, 2012, 03:30:03 PM
Niger, though, has me.  There's an early breakthrough of a zero-g emitter & tough drones from two gateways.  It's impossible to dig in.

You need to build a dark beam before the only opening to the surface decays. I've tried and it is possible. First build only as much as energy permits, until you get to the first crystal, then start the dark beam and as many reactors as possible. Don't build phantom coils until necessary, usually 0:25 before the phantoms will do. Switch off the coils as soon as they finish destroying phantoms, this'll save your energy.
The rest of the map is simple slogging; I'll post the score tomorrow when I finish it.

Niger is definitely worth playing if you need to brush up on fast start-up and rapid energy management. I found myself micro-stepping through much of the beginning.

SmileyCoder

Posted a score for niger. Fun map. I even managed to kill of the first emitter before discovering that the map had experimentals :P
Best of luck with your game,
TheSmileyCoder

TheSmileyCoders YouTube channel feat. tutorials on using Treeviews in Access
I might have promised fool proof, but I never promised user proof.

xoft

Niger finished and posted. I'd say this deserves nomination.

I noticed some of the countries I did were still unmarked in the main list:
Kuwait - challenging start with surface emitter and drones
Libya - fun to start, titan emitter breaks to the surface quite early

SmileyCoder

Croatia is deffinately not easy. Tried it a few times, but still no luck. I think it IS doable though.
TheSmileyCoder

Loren Pechtel

Quote from: xoft on January 08, 2012, 05:32:30 PM
Niger, though, has me.  There's an early breakthrough of a zero-g emitter & tough drones from two gateways.  It's impossible to dig in.

You need to build a dark beam before the only opening to the surface decays. I've tried and it is possible. First build only as much as energy permits, until you get to the first crystal, then start the dark beam and as many reactors as possible. Don't build phantom coils until necessary, usually 0:25 before the phantoms will do. Switch off the coils as soon as they finish destroying phantoms, this'll save your energy.
The rest of the map is simple slogging; I'll post the score tomorrow when I finish it.

Niger is definitely worth playing if you need to brush up on fast start-up and rapid energy management. I found myself micro-stepping through much of the beginning.

How????

I just tried that approach, I put it down quite early and it wasn't quite ready at the breakthrough and it wouldn't have mattered anyway--I only had an energy production of 5.

Nicaragua down, Zzzzz.

Cavemaniac

Quote from: Cavemaniac on January 06, 2012, 10:59:02 PM
Quote from: Loren Pechtel on January 06, 2012, 10:30:15 PM
The scammer country fell.  It took a while but nothing notable.

Umm...

Which country have you invaded?!

Nigeria!

Hur hur!

Would someone please send me $10,000 for legal fees so I can send you the $1.2M oil fortune that your great uncle left you in his will?
Be yourself. Everyone else is already taken.

Cavemaniac

Quote from: xoft on January 09, 2012, 03:15:56 AM

Sorry xoft.

All updated now.

xoft

Loren Pechtel,
You need to spend everything on reactors. At 2:00 I had energy production of ~10.7, several reactors building and just digged out the second batch of technites, so I could improve my reactor efficiency further. I've already got the dark beam running and since it was almost full of energy when the cave broke through, it can survive for some time on less than 12 energy. Just enough to finish the reactors needed.

Loren Pechtel

Quote from: Cavemaniac on January 09, 2012, 02:35:27 PM
Quote from: xoft on January 09, 2012, 03:15:56 AM

Sorry xoft.

All updated now.

I edited what I thought was the last post in the thread--oops.

Nicaragua down, Zzzzz.

Kithros

Worst case scenario if you don't have enough energy - there's actually an interesting tactic that can be used for those kinds of experimental maps, where you build 2 long columns of shields around the terrain that will decay through - then you can turn the dark beam on for short bursts to hold the creeper off instead of needing to have the dark beam constantly running, since the shields will keep the creeper inside of the dark beams path. If you need to you can turn the dark beam on for a somewhat longer time to destroy and replace all the shields.

Loren Pechtel

Quote from: xoft on January 09, 2012, 02:36:04 PM
Loren Pechtel,
You need to spend everything on reactors. At 2:00 I had energy production of ~10.7, several reactors building and just digged out the second batch of technites, so I could improve my reactor efficiency further. I've already got the dark beam running and since it was almost full of energy when the cave broke through, it can survive for some time on less than 12 energy. Just enough to finish the reactors needed.

I can't imagine how you are accomplishing that in 2 minutes!

xoft

Ghana and Gambia done. Neither was interesting.

Some may have noticed, for the others I'm giving a little trick: pressing the N key while the game is paused will step the game one frame. Using this, you can achieve a pretty tight timing that might be needed in some missions - as soon as you grab the crystal, or as soon as that terrain is digged... That's micro-stepping ;)

Loren Pechtel, what did you spend those technytes on? I spent my first batch on decreasing unit cost, this helped me reduce the build-time needed for the dark beam, as well as for all those reactors. The rest was used for packet speed and energy storage. The second batch was used to improve reactor efficiency and I don't remember what else.

EDIT: I tried re-playing the level, and I got to ~16 energy and running dark beam at 1:40 :)

Cavemaniac

Mexico - interesting looking map, but pretty standard play.

Updated...

SmileyCoder

Finally managed to beat Croatia. I would say its worthy of a nomination.

EDIT: Posted a score for Morocco. VERY boring.

EDIT: Panama, Interesting start, rest is a sluggish.
TheSmileyCoder

Cavemaniac

Updated.

We're nearly done with the list guys!

Are there any non English speakers participating?

If so, we could use some alternate country names/spellings to extend this challenge.

I've included Aotearoa which is the Maori name for New Zealand as inspiration.

Edit: Aotearoa done - no challenge...