Mission: Which is the 'best' country?

Started by Cavemaniac, December 01, 2011, 04:41:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Katra

Iran conquered after an epic battle. Strong left gravity, right build. It's a fun map
Spoiler
for certain definitions of fun. The beginning was a royal pain in the tail. Fast 7 hp drones below 1 layer of decaying terrain (which opens up 4 spaces wide) and phantoms.

Took several restarts before I managed to find the combination of shields and blasters that kept the pack of drones from doing me in. (And using 1 maker to keep the creeper from rising too much.) Once I managed a stable defense it got pretty easy; just build up plenty of power and march down through the open chamber; then taking out the other chambers in sequence. (engaging one while mopping up the previous where possible.)
[close]
Power. Power! I must have more POWER!

Cavemaniac

Updated.

Nearly there with the list guys, feel free to suggest alternate names for countries to spice things up.

Anyone know the native spelling for Poland?

I'd love to give them a fighting chance - the English spelling wasn't much of a challenge!
Be yourself. Everyone else is already taken.

Lord_Farin

Behold, Nexus! Looketh skywards, for thy obliteration thence nighs, my foul enemy!

xoft

Quote from: Cavemaniac on January 04, 2012, 02:08:25 PM
Anyone know the native spelling for Poland?

Polska.

I'm afraid I can't provide the full name, which would be something like "republic of poland", You'd need a native speaker for that ;)

EDIT: Asked my sister-in-law, her boyfriend is Polish, he said "Rzeczpospolita Polska" is the official name.

EDIT 2: I'm nominating "Polska" for the fun list - it has a surface emitter, 10 phantoms, soon in the beginning drones break out to the surface from two gateways, one set strong, the other set super-fast. Within a few moments 6 emitters join in a single cavern that spews creeper to the surface using a field. Still I managed to beat it, barely ;)

xoft

Kuwait done. The start was pretty tricky with all the drones swarming out, but as soon as you manage to grab the white gem, things get under control rather quickly.

Nauru done. Top left gravity and upside down build, both a surface emitter and a surface gateway, 2 phantoms every 45 seconds. A tad more difficult than average, but not too much.

Katra

Italy - up left gravity, upside down build but nothing special.

Ireland - average map.

Indonesia - one for the fun list. Surface emitter; later another chamber breaks through into the surface pool and adds 14 hp drones.
Power. Power! I must have more POWER!

DethbyIT

Here's an 'other' challenge for anyone:
"29 Second Ave"

I can get a hold started but after about 10 minutes or so, I get overwhelmed.
If anyone can figure it out, please post a screen shot - it's driving me nuts (a very short drive).
dbit

Loren Pechtel

Quote from: DethbyIT on January 04, 2012, 09:12:31 PM
Here's an 'other' challenge for anyone:
"29 Second Ave"

I can get a hold started but after about 10 minutes or so, I get overwhelmed.
If anyone can figure it out, please post a screen shot - it's driving me nuts (a very short drive).
dbit

Yup--nasty.  You don't get much space and as the ground wears away more and more stuff will be giving you trouble.

Loren Pechtel

DethbyIT

Gabon - monster Titan that will take some work to get.
Worth playing.

Cavemaniac

Gambia - so easy it's boring.

Might provide some fun for a speed challenge or practice with experimentals in a safe environment.

Cavemaniac

All updated.

I'm glad that we found a worthwhile Poland map.

'29 Second Ave' had better prove to be possible - I wasted a lot of time trying to find the 'trick'!

Nice work guys.

Keep at it!

xoft

'29 Second Ave' is tough indeed. I think I have a toehold, but any advance will be slow from here. I seem to be able to hold this position as long as needed, but there's no space to build anymore. Luckily I could at least build 2 tech domes, so after a very long while I should be able to upgrade and then perhaps push further.

xoft

Cavemaniac, you might want to consider putting an English name next to all those native-spelled countries, just as a reference.

Kithros

Finally got around to looking at some of the maps - 29 Second Ave is a fun map - it should be possible to turtle it out in the corner, but I prefer the more aggressive approach:

I opened the chamber a bit early to let my launcher do damage to the creeper, then when the fields turned right I shielded off the emitter and nullified it. I also built some blasters to deal with the drones (make sure to keep them out of the drone path when the drones initially break through, since they will be in a bigger group)

Spoiler
[close]

From there I expand further down, and I built 2 repulsors, 2 launchers and 5 blasters to defend from the emitter below me - initially you should have both of the launchers firing into the repulsor beam to keep the creeper from overflowing. Once you can afford it, get another launcher to start hitting the high density creeper in the chamber, and once the densities die down a bit you can deactivate one of the launchers firing into the repulsor beam.

I attacked the annoying gateway + emitter to the left of me before it became a nuisance with the terrain decaying through, after killing that off it becomes pretty straightforward to build up and slog through the creeper+drones.

Spoiler
[close]

The main thing to this is that repulsors + launchers firing into the repulsors are *VERY* effective at defending choke points, even from high densities (I think initially it was about 1.5M density creeper in there or so being held off by 2 repulsors 2 launchers).

EDIT: Posted a score.