Mission: Which is the 'best' country?

Started by Cavemaniac, December 01, 2011, 04:41:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Katra

India

Upside down build, up left gravity.

Hungary

All directions build in a non experimental map.

Both average maps.
Power. Power! I must have more POWER!

DethbyIT

"Barbados" - done. No fun.
"Burundi" - done by someone else.
"Cambodia" - worth playing.
"Chile" -  done by Katra
"Comoros" - done by Katra and Kithros
"Cyprus" - done by a cave man

I'll check more after "Big Bang Theory" is over.

Cavemaniac

Quote from: DethbyIT on December 22, 2011, 08:02:57 PM
"Barbados" - done. No fun.
"Burundi" - done by someone else.
"Cambodia" - worth playing.
"Chile" -  done by Katra
"Comoros" - done by Katra and Kithros
"Cyprus" - done by a cave man

I'll check more after "Big Bang Theory" is over.

All updated - added Cambodia to the 'fun' list (this was what you meant?).

Wouldn't have picked DBIT as a Big Bang Theory watcher...

That show gives me more howling fits of laughter than any other show I've ever seen - the flashback to when Sheldon and Leonard first meet and Sheldon suggests sorting out the TV schedule around 'Firefly', because "it's going to run for years" just about crippled me, I laughed so hard... I can't believe I just bought the box set of Firefly from Amazon for a tenner...
Be yourself. Everyone else is already taken.

Loren Pechtel

Swaziland.  A bit limited on build space at first, otherwise zzzzzz.

Loren Pechtel

Suriname.  It looks scary due to a lack of terrain (just below the surface and open to it is a emitter and gateway that extends just about across the entire map) but it wasn't all that hard.

Katra

Libya may be impossible. Looks good at first (A bit short on build space but lots of accessible crystals. Gateway and emitter open to the surface - with 2 widely separated entrances - but only 4 HP drones and the creeper won't overflow for a while.

Then at about 1 minute a 57M titan breaks through into that open to surface chamber; along with 9HP drones; and if you survive to about 2 minutes a bunch of 16 HP drones will join the party.  ::)  Even if one were to hold on I'm not sure there is enough build space available to power an attack on a titan emitter.

DethbyIT

Quote from: Cavemaniac on December 22, 2011, 08:28:15 PM
Wouldn't have picked DBIT as a Big Bang Theory watcher...

That show gives me more howling fits of laughter than any other show I've ever seen - the flashback to when Sheldon and Leonard first meet and Sheldon suggests sorting out the TV schedule around 'Firefly', because "it's going to run for years" just about crippled me, I laughed so hard... I can't believe I just bought the box set of Firefly from Amazon for a tenner...

I found that show by accident and have been watching all of the re-runs. After many (too many) years in the Infantry, I switched to the IT side and have worked with every one of those geek characters (and dated a couple of Penny's here and there).
:)

Kithros

Quote from: Katra on December 23, 2011, 12:09:11 AM
Libya may be impossible. Looks good at first (A bit short on build space but lots of accessible crystals. Gateway and emitter open to the surface - with 2 widely separated entrances - but only 4 HP drones and the creeper won't overflow for a while.

Then at about 1 minute a 57M titan breaks through into that open to surface chamber; along with 9HP drones; and if you survive to about 2 minutes a bunch of 16 HP drones will join the party.  ::)  Even if one were to hold on I'm not sure there is enough build space available to power an attack on a titan emitter.

Reminds me of 'some go once' - but this one is quite a bit easier. I didn't use any real tricks, just manage your energy well and  be sure to use repulsors. I'm not sure what you mean by a shortage of build space, because if you kill off the bottom emitter (completely unconnected to the titan), then you can easily get to 60+ energy per second - I think even without that there would be enough build space, but it would be a lot slower.

Katra

Liberia completed. Something of a slog with a 78M titan.

Kyrgyzstan

Surface emitter and drones. Another for the fun list.

Malaysia - average map.

Maldives

Upside down build, up left gravity. Nothing special here.

Loren Pechtel

Sudan is down.  A bit limited build area at first, no challenge otherwise.

DethbyIT

Quote from: Katra on December 23, 2011, 12:49:09 PM

Katra,
How do you get close enough on those 'Titans' to finish them off w/o Experimentals?
Every time I try to work one of those (with undimished 220 energy) the Nullifiers always blow up. I've tried Blasters, Launchers, and Repulsors (and various combinations) but nothing seems to work.

Thanks,
dbit

Loren Pechtel

Quote from: DethbyIT on December 23, 2011, 06:40:26 PM

Katra,
How do you get close enough on those 'Titans' to finish them off w/o Experimentals?
Every time I try to work one of those (with undimished 220 energy) the Nullifiers always blow up. I've tried Blasters, Launchers, and Repulsors (and various combinations) but nothing seems to work.

Thanks,
dbit

Two more things I've found that can help:

1)  Makers.  Dump a bunch of anti-creeper when you're trying to nullify them.

2)  Shields.  The build a lot faster than a nullifier, sometimes you can get them up (make sure you have a nearby rift for maximum build speed) in positions to shield the square where you build the nullifier.

Kithros

Quote from: DethbyIT on December 23, 2011, 06:40:26 PM

Katra,

Thanks,
dbit

You typically want a wall of repulsors around the emitter (sometimes 2 layers of repulsors), 3-4 blasters (more if they aren't fully upgraded), and a whole lot of launchers.

Shielding off titans usually won't work out - if you can manage to build a shield next to the emitter (the key thing here being that the shield needs to be built a space closer than a nullifer has to), then chances are you would be able to nullify it anyway (that said, this strategy works very well on normal emitters if there are fields pushing it in the other direction temporarily).

Anti-creeper certainly helps, especially on maps with shortages of build space, but for the most part repulsors+launchers are the key when dealing with high densities of creeper in general - with the exception of when fields are involved , never waste your energy using repulsors in the opposite or same direction as a field (from a 90 degree angle is okay in some instances), and use more blasters to compensate for the absence of repulsors.

Katra

I normally use 2 layers of repulsors on 1 side of the emitter (At least 3 wide; sometimes 5) and a loaded maker or more if I have ore. (Liberia had very little ore) Where possible I have the makers fully loaded and time out 10% bursts to last as long as it takes to nullify the emitter. I'll generally start with from 4-6 blasters plus as many launchers as I can get in range (or have power for.) If I'm still not managing to stick the nullifier I'll add more repulsors and/or drop blasters right alongside the emitter. 

Having crystal energy left so you can use over 60 energy helps, but is not essential. I killed all my crystal energy on Liberia.

Shields are more useful for emitters in fields. Or when using conversion bombs on the creeper around emitters.

Loren Pechtel