Mission: Which is the 'best' country?

Started by Cavemaniac, December 01, 2011, 04:41:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DethbyIT

"Trinidad and Tobago" - done. Quite routine.

DethbyIT

DethbyIT

"Guinea-Bissau" - both fun and challenging. Interesting starting few minutes.

Loren Pechtel

Tunisia is defeated.  I nominate this one.

Surface emitter, surface drones & some fast and tough ones that break through in not too long.  It's good despite the phantoms.

Tonga defeated.  You're energy-limited at first but otherwise there's nothing interesting.

Katra

Guinea completed.

Experimentals, but pretty ordinary. Plenty of time before anything reaches the surface.

edit
Central African Republic

Upside down gravity and build with a surface emitter; but little challenge.
Power. Power! I must have more POWER!

Cavemaniac

Wow guys!

You're on fire!

I've been a bit busy with that 'work' stuff lately so I've not been posting scores myself.

All updated.

Many thanks to everyone who spotted my *ahem* deliberate mistakes.
Be yourself. Everyone else is already taken.

Cavemaniac

Scotland.

Done.

Not hard, but...

Time consuming as it was difficult to get a straight run at it - upside down build and up left gravity with drones and a surface emitter (but easily dealt to...).

Loren Pechtel

DethbyIT

"Austria" - done...OK, but we have better.

Cavemaniac

Cavemaniac

Loren Pechtel

Quote from: Loren Pechtel on December 17, 2011, 06:49:39 PM
Ukraine is tough--supertitan and a surface emitter.  It's also got three crystals near the start that really taunted me, I can see no way to safely collect them.  (They're all next to terrain that's going to collapse and let in tough drones.)

I said it was tough, not impossible.  It's solved although it's not marked off.  I was just grousing about crystals that you can't safely take early on because they'll soon allow drones through.

Thailand--I see no viable approach at all.  It's an upside-down map in which over 50% of the space in the third row (the ground is almost totally flat) will be full of creeper within 20 seconds.  There are strength 13 drones behind one decayable medium block and half of that third that won't immediately flood with creeper is also decayable.  To dig in deep enough to avoid the creeper (gravity is going to bring it up, not down) requires removing 30 blocks, two of which are cost 10 blocks.  This merely gets away from the creeper, it provides no building space and no defense against the drones.

Katra

Uzbekistan completed. Definitely a fun map. Surface emitter (with a field that will make a decent volcano after a couple cycles) and drones. Then a huge chamber with a fairly long period field and a bunch more drones.
Power. Power! I must have more POWER!

lich98

Quote from: Loren Pechtel on December 20, 2011, 10:24:37 PM
Thailand--I see no viable approach at all.  It's an upside-down map in which over 50% of the space in the third row (the ground is almost totally flat) will be full of creeper within 20 seconds.  There are strength 13 drones behind one decayable medium block and half of that third that won't immediately flood with creeper is also decayable.  To dig in deep enough to avoid the creeper (gravity is going to bring it up, not down) requires removing 30 blocks, two of which are cost 10 blocks.  This merely gets away from the creeper, it provides no building space and no defense against the drones.

Kiroths can you try this map for us? thanks
I love Mickey Mouse more than any woman I've ever known.
-Walt Disney
This is like deja vu all over again.
-Yogi Berra

Kithros

Quote from: lich98 on December 21, 2011, 09:17:37 AM
Quote from: Loren Pechtel on December 20, 2011, 10:24:37 PM

Kiroths can you try this map for us? thanks

I'm not quite sure why you're saying you need to dig to avoid the creeper - if you were playing it safe and just didn't dig to the central chamber at all early on, the creeper will never be remotely threatening for an extreme amount of time since it will just puddle at the top of the map. For the easiest and probably most effective way to deal with the drones (it should be easily possible to fight them off too if you had to):

Spoiler
[close]

When going for time it would definitely be worth grabbing the white gem, but if you just want to beat the map it's not necessary.