Mission: Which is the 'best' country?

Started by Cavemaniac, December 01, 2011, 04:41:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kithros

Ok, I put a score up on Bhutan - I even missed a crystal, but I don't really care too much about my scores for experimental maps because they're too tedious to play for time.

Cavemaniac

Quote from: Kithros on December 13, 2011, 07:25:17 PM
Ok, I put a score up on Bhutan - I even missed a crystal, but I don't really care too much about my scores for experimental maps because they're too tedious to play for time.

Try to sound a little enthusiastic about it!

Updated - and I added it to the 'fun' list 'cos it's challenging. Let me know if this is wrong.
Be yourself. Everyone else is already taken.

xoft

Bulgaria: plain level, nothing special about it
Burkina Faso: Looked interesting in the preview, but proved rather boring. Left gravity, large caverns, lots of goodies, zero fun

Loren Pechtel

Since Israel was mentioned earlier I decided to try the other side.

Gaza has a supertitan at the bottom but is otherwise no big deal.

Palestine, however--I'm not real good at this yet but it certainly seems impossible.

Kithros

Palestine has a trick to the start that will make it much much easier to deal with:

Spoiler
[close]

That makes it pretty easy to nullify one of the emitters, and gives you plenty of build space. From there there are quite a few ways to go about the map - the way I personally went with:

Spoiler
[close]

From there I clean up the right side, then I can start building up underground with no shortage of space whatsoever. Pretty straightforward map from there - there's a titan, but there will be plenty of room to get enough energy to take it out, especially since there are all build directions.

Spoiler
[close]

EDIT: Put up a score for it.

DethbyIT

@Kithros -
Excellent!
My approach was similar, but I kept losing just before taking out that first Emitter.
Thanks,
dbit

Cavemaniac

All updated.

Also Turkey - nothing to report.

I'm struggling with England - sideways gravity, nowhere to build, lots of fast and high strength drones, loads of emitters just below the surface, decaying terrain...

In short, the perfect map!

I've gained a toehold on a couple of occasions, but have only yet managed to cap one emitter!

The one saving grave of this map might be the strong gravity.

Kithros

Quote from: Cavemaniac on December 15, 2011, 02:23:37 PM

All updated.

Also Turkey - nothing to report.

I'm struggling with England - sideways gravity, nowhere to build, lots of fast and high strength drones, loads of emitters just below the surface, decaying terrain...

In short, the perfect map!

I've gained a toehold on a couple of occasions, but have only yet managed to cap one emitter!

The one saving grave of this map might be the strong gravity.

I think you're probably being too hesitant to attack - if you move really quickly you can nullify the left emitter easily and dig underground for plenty of build space before the right emitter connects to that chamber.

EDIT: For instance, this is where I am 1 minute into the map:
Spoiler
[close]

Cavemaniac

Quote from: Kithros on December 15, 2011, 02:52:54 PM
I think you're probably being too hesitant to attack - if you move really quickly you can nullify the left emitter easily and dig underground for plenty of build space before the right emitter connects to that chamber.

EDIT: For instance, this is where I am 1 minute into the map:
Spoiler
[close]

Yup - you nailed it.

I take out the emitter quickly, but I've so far failed to take advantage of my early victory and get under ground.

Will keep plugging!

xoft

Kithros, how do you take care of those drones? You always seem to have lots of them around your LS at the starting screenshot and suddenly they're gone in the second screenshot. Especially in the Palestine screenshots...

Kithros

Quote from: xoft on December 15, 2011, 04:57:09 PM
Kithros, how do you take care of those drones? You always seem to have lots of them around your LS at the starting screenshot and suddenly they're gone in the second screenshot. Especially in the Palestine screenshots...

Well, 1 shield can kill off 4 drones, and the LS can survive being hit by 3 (normal health) drones as long as there's at least a small amount of time to regenerate, which means 7 of those drones are essentially already dead, and my blasters finished building to kill the other drones. If necessary I could build more shields, but I always take advantage of the health on my LS when dealing with early drones (unless I anticipate needing to move through the creeper with the LS at some point of course), since it won't really help me later on.

EDIT: The LS can actually survive 4 drone hits also, but in that particular case only 3 drones crashed into it, just so nobody gets confused.

Cavemaniac

Quote from: Kithros on December 15, 2011, 05:01:40 PM

I always take advantage of the health on my LS when dealing with early drones (unless I anticipate needing to move through the creeper with the LS at some point of course), since it won't really help me later on.

EDIT: The LS can actually survive 4 drone hits also, but in that particular case only 3 drones crashed into it, just so nobody gets confused.

Heh heh!

Just before I read this I tried letting a drone hit the LS on the England map - one drone, one hit, loud bang, LS go bye-bye!

Note to self - don't try it with 17HP drones!

On a related but way off note - can anyone please tell me - or point me to a thread that explains how to insert pictures into these posts?

Kithros

Quote from: Cavemaniac on December 15, 2011, 05:20:55 PM

On a related but way off note - can anyone please tell me - or point me to a thread that explains how to insert pictures into these posts?

You can either use an attachment (under additional options in the bottom-left corner), or you can upload it to some other site (I use http://imgur.com/), and then link the image using the insert image button (be sure to link directly to the image, not to the page that shows the image, ie. where it says direct link)

Cavemaniac

Quote from: Kithros on December 15, 2011, 05:30:30 PM
You can either use an attachment (under additional options in the bottom-left corner), or you can upload it to some other site (I use http://imgur.com/), and then link the image using the insert image button (be sure to link directly to the image, not to the page that shows the image, ie. where it says direct link)

Sweet - thanks for that. It's been bugging me...

Loren Pechtel