Mission: Which is the 'best' country?

Started by Cavemaniac, December 01, 2011, 04:41:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DethbyIT

Quote from: weekendgamer on December 11, 2011, 07:35:46 AM
The Philippines is kinda fun. Upside-down gravity and moderate strength drones.

I'll give that one a try - but please note the list of actual "United Nations" names in the link given previously: "Philippines" - not "The Philippines"

DethbyIT

"Armenia" - definitely worth playing.
"The former Yugoslav Republic of Macedonia" - play it!

Kithros

Since nobody seems to be getting anywhere on Saudi Arabia I finished it - I started by building 3 shields and flying over to the gems:

Spoiler
[close]

Then I of course picked up the gems + technytes, and started working on a conversion bomb (be sure to get -20% building cost with the technytes) and finished up the wall. I built some more shields, and flew my LS back and forth over the shields - I actually made a big mistake at this point and accidentally hit ctrl+c instead of ctrl+v when my LS went past the shields once, which resulted in my LS taking a lot more damage than it needed to because I couldn't get the LS back on it's ideal path, which almost forced me to start over but I still got it to work.

Spoiler
[close]

I sent the conversion bomb in and shielded off the emitter and picked up the white gem. I dug through some of the terrain to make the anti-creeper flow to the surface faster to save my LS and work on some more conversion bombs.

Spoiler
[close]

After nullifying the emitter, build more shields as necessary and send in the 2 conversion bombs, 1 to the shielded in creeper and 1 to the other emitter, hit them both and nullify the other emitter. You easily have more than enough time to do whatever you want at this point - it's quite possible you'll even have more anti-creeper on the surface than there is creeper. The phantoms can be completely ignored because they're only 50000 intensity phantoms, when you have huge amounts of anti-creeper everywhere.

Spoiler
[close]

I put a score up on this map also, I didn't play through it meticulously at all after that point, I pretty much just sent conversion bombs everywhere.

xoft

"Czech Republic", when spelled in English, is a pretty boring standard map. On the other hand, the native title "česká republika" actually poses a challenge - gems hidden in hard terrain and a surface emitter and a gateway. Definitely fun to play.

Cavemaniac

Quote from: DethbyIT on December 11, 2011, 07:58:21 AM
Quote from: weekendgamer on December 11, 2011, 07:35:46 AM
The Philippines is kinda fun. Upside-down gravity and moderate strength drones.
but please note the list of actual "United Nations" names in the link given previously: "Philippines" - not "The Philippines"
Quote from: xoft on December 11, 2011, 01:35:00 PM
"Czech Republic", when spelled in English, is a pretty boring standard map. On the other hand, the native title "česká republika" actually poses a challenge

Don't sweat it guys, as per the mission brief, I'm happy to record them any way - the list is there to provide inspiration, it's not a definitive list.

I'm happy to have two Philippines, two Czech Republics and two Netherlands - OK, one Netherlands and one Holland (as per list)...

We're just looking for good codes here. USA wasn't much of a challenge, but we may find that another variation gives good results. Has anyone tried "The Democratic Republic of the United States of America"?!

I think I've updated everything (took half an hour!) - sing out if I've missed anything or got it wrong.

Keep at it guys - we're still looking for a map that Kithros can't beat!

Well done on Saudi Arabia!
Be yourself. Everyone else is already taken.

lich98

United Kingdom under large, high looks moderatly interesting, didn't beat it on that I beat it on small, low that was a true walk in the park.
I love Mickey Mouse more than any woman I've ever known.
-Walt Disney
This is like deja vu all over again.
-Yogi Berra

DethbyIT

"Timor Leste" - worth playing. Lots of weird field movement. Fun start.

EDIT:
"Azerbaijan" - done. An OK game.

Katra

Finally managed to conquer Madagascar.  ;D

Upside down gravity and build, emitter and gateway open to surface and practically on surface (plus another large chamber that will send creeper to surface after some terrain erodes) and limited build space before you take out the surface emitter. And then you have a 69M titan down below.

Initial position is pretty easy to attain due to strong up gravity, but limited energy makes any offensive really tough.  Was finally able (after several restarts) to nullify the surface gateway emitter by careful use of repulsors, shields, and blasters. Then start really building infrastructure and killing the big chamber that reached surface. Followed by the (large and complex) chamber with the titan and  a separate small chamber.

BTW the proper strategy makes this possibly the easiest 69M titan in a non experimental map. Even so ended up with a 46 minute game time.  ;) Definite addition to the fun list.

edit:
Lesotho

Aaverage map with lots of phantoms.
Power. Power! I must have more POWER!

weekendgamer

You know the official name is Republika ng Pilipinas, not just "Philippines". I used The Philippines because it was more fun.
Sorry for the late replies.

DethbyIT

Challenge match: "Bosnia and Herzegovina on Large/High".
There is an Emitter set at 104 million near the bottom left that I just cannot neutralize.

Colin

Quote from: DethbyIT on December 12, 2011, 02:03:55 PM
There is an Emitter set at 104 million near the bottom left that I just cannot neutralize.

If there are any crystals on the map, save
them so you can have more than 60+
energy, then dig out the entrance into the
emitter as a "maze" and put shields in the
"maze". Then blast it with launchers and
it helps to save all the AC in the map for
the final nullify too. If you can't do it I'll
have a crack at it later today. Good luck!  ;)

The most important thing about dealing with
100M+ intensity emitters is having a ton of
energy. Kithros can tell you about how to do
it with less, but I like to have tons of energy.  ;)

EDIT:

Just looked at it, odd, there is two titan
emitters!
To fight back the Creeper all you need is. . . What? Energy.
My maps CW1 are located here try out my MIS series.

Kithros

Quote from: Colin on December 12, 2011, 02:36:14 PM
Quote from: DethbyIT on December 12, 2011, 02:03:55 PM

If there are any crystals on the map, save
them so you can have more than 60+
energy, then dig out the entrance into the
emitter as a "maze" and put shields in the
"maze". Then blast it with launchers and
it helps to save all the AC in the map for
the final nullify too. If you can't do it I'll
have a crack at it later today. Good luck!  ;)

The most important thing about dealing with
100M+ intensity emitters is having a ton of
energy. Kithros can tell you about how to do
it with less, but I like to have tons of energy.  ;)

EDIT:

Just looked at it, odd, there is two titan
emitters!

Well, of course it can be done with less energy - but you still should be getting as much energy as you can when dealing with titan emitters regardless of what is the bare minimum - the main key to using energy efficiently is using as little energy as possible using blasters/repulsors (be that by using shields or just balancing them appropriately) and as many launchers as possible. If you use too many blasters any titan will seem impossible. Saving ore for the nullify is also helpful.

I had over 100 energy production by the end of this map, which is plenty to deal with a 100M intensity emitter - I recommend killing off the lower intensity titan first before heading for the 100M emitter, so you can take all the build space at the bottom of the map - it should be possible enough killing the 100M emitter first though.

Cavemaniac

Quote from: DethbyIT on December 11, 2011, 07:39:21 PM
"Timor Leste" - worth playing. Lots of weird field movement. Fun start.

EDIT:
"Azerbaijan" - done. An OK game.

Updated

Quote from: Katra on December 11, 2011, 09:59:39 PM
Finally managed to conquer Madagascar.  ;D Definite addition to the fun list.

edit:
Lesotho

Aaverage map with lots of phantoms.

Updated

Cavemaniac

Quote from: weekendgamer on December 12, 2011, 08:14:36 AM
You know the official name is Republika ng Pilipinas, not just "Philippines". I used The Philippines because it was more fun.

Excellent - that's what I'm looking for.

The UN list is far from comprehensive - for example, it does not list England, Scotland, Wales or Northern Ireland (OK, that last one probably goes on the 'disputed list) as countries in their own right, rather it lumps them in together as United Kingdom. Which is right from a UN/administrative point of view, but isn't what we were looking for with regard to finding cool codes!

Cavemaniac