Weekly 5-map tournament - Obscure Metal Bands - Closing 2012-02-19

Started by Lord_Farin, February 13, 2012, 12:28:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lord_Farin

Another one of the weekly map tournaments. I intend to post the final results as early as local time permits me; have fun!

A few useful links:
All Tournaments
Code Map Scoreboard
Tournament Score Tool

Theme:
Obscure Metal Bands

Map Name:Size:Complexity:
InsomniumMediumHigh
DomineSmallMedium
ObscuraLargeMedium
ArtilleryLargeHigh
Agent SteelMediumMedium

Tournament Results

RankPlayerTotal Score
1.zaphod56843
2.TheSmileyCoder56729
3.DethbyIT56577
4.Durban56184
5.Katra55687
6.ctuna53864
7.Schmane53795
8.inept_celt48152
9.dt4240378*
10.obvious_cheater20954*
11.Lord_Farin11682*
12.Gu25010140*
13.GuNote10140*

* Did not finish all maps.
Behold, Nexus! Looketh skywards, for thy obliteration thence nighs, my foul enemy!

gu250

Lord_Farin

Behold, Nexus! Looketh skywards, for thy obliteration thence nighs, my foul enemy!

deety42

Sheesh, as I look at my times compared to everyone else's, it becomes obvious that I am a brute force kind of person.  Grrr....how do you folks do these so fast?

Kithros

For most code maps (ones with a huge abundance of build space and no experimental weapons, and assuming it's on high complexity - lower complexity maps have very weak emitters which you can't really use a general rule for), you pretty much want to dig down as fast as you can while building reactors as fast as you can and not attacking the creeper - then when you're able to reach all the creeper chambers and have sufficient energy start attacking all of them at once.

There are some cases where you'll want/need to attack creeper before that happens, but usually you want to prioritize energy production at the beginning, and then multi-task all the chambers. Remember to pause *a lot* and position your weapons properly, as well as using the right kinds of weapons - all of the weapons have their uses, and most people do not use repulsors nearly as often as they should.

deety42

Thanks, Kithros!  I would never have tried that approach, but I'll give it a shot. 

DethbyIT

@Kithros -
What is your guideline/method/advice for building Tech Domes?
If there is already of discussion of that somewhere, just give me a link and I'll go read it.
Thanks,
dbit

Kithros

Quote from: DethbyIT on February 19, 2012, 01:26:58 PM
@Kithros -
What is your guideline/method/advice for building Tech Domes?
If there is already of discussion of that somewhere, just give me a link and I'll go read it.
Thanks,
dbit

Typically on maps without real difficulty (again, excessive build space, no titan emitters etc.) I only start building tech domes once I produce too much energy to build only reactors (ie. not digging fast enough to spend all my energy on reactors). There is also some room for error here in how many microrifts you end up building, since you will want some of them to dig faster on the bigger maps. I can't claim this is the best way to do it necessarily, and it will certainly depend on the map a lot, but it usually works pretty well for the huge maps.

In all honesty, I don't actually have a specific way of deciding when I build tech domes, I pretty much just do whatever I feel like doing at the time.

Lord_Farin

DethbyIT

Quote from: Lord_Farin on February 20, 2012, 02:02:27 AM
The results are up. Congratulations to zaphod.
Interesting that he can't win any game - but one - and yet dominates that one game so thoroughly that he wins the whole tournament.

ctuna

QuoteInteresting that he can't win any game - but one - and yet dominates that one game so thoroughly that he wins the whole tournament.

"...can't..."? Maybe he doesn't need to win all of them. There's an old saying, "Never show 'em all your marbles".

DethbyIT

ctuna - that is absolutely one possibility.
That "Artillery" game flat kicked my tookus - never could figure out a good starting couple of minutes.

ctuna

After your last post, I thought to try something kinda off the wall (for me), so I looked at grabbing the green gem above the decayable terrain to start with. I managed to grab it quickly using a shield above it and starting the gem capture just as the field surged away from it. I then moved the LS to the top of the terrain and dug/built to the right side. The large number of phantoms required several starts to time/place coils properly. I then was able to dig to the red chip on the right and the tech chip in the center, and build enough launchers and blasters to beat back the first emitter.

You may have done the same or something similar, but since I didn't think of it until late, I thought to mention it. Sometimes the things that other do instinctively, I don't see as easily. Still a rookie, I guess.

DethbyIT

Heh!
We're all rookies compared to someone else around here.
I made that same Green Gem grab, but stuck around to take out that Emitter next to it - then started building Reactors and digging down through the middle - branching off tunnels for more Reactor space.

I can usually figure out my mistake, but that one pure flummoxed me.
dbit

ctuna

Just out of curiosity, dbit, how did you take out the emitter so quickly?

Never mind, I figured it out. A concept I had missed all along.