Game Mechanics Quiz 1 - How much do you really know?

Started by UpperKEES, October 18, 2010, 11:08:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

UpperKEES

Quote from: Siccles on October 21, 2010, 10:54:51 AM
5.16 energy/sec

Incorrect.

PS: very nice to see you back here at the forums! :)
My CW1 maps: downloads - overview
My CW2 maps: downloads - overview

SPIFFEN

I have no idea at all , so i just gonna guess for 32,3 =P
PLZ THINK ABOUT WHAT YOU CALL YOUR TOPIC ! It will make the search work better =)
My maps : http://knucklecracker.com/creeperworld/viewmaps.php?author=SPIFFEN
How to make links

UpperKEES

Sqaz

Thanks a lot  ;D

Quote from: UpperKEES on October 18, 2010, 11:08:02 PM
During exactly 1 minute of gameplay the following things happen:
A. 1 blaster is capping an emitter with 1.2 intensity and 0.5 second interval
B. 1 blaster is capping an emitter with 1.5 intensity and 0.4 second interval
C. 3 SAMs intercept 5 incoming spores of 1.8 intensity
D. 1 blaster intercepts 2 incoming spores of 1.8 intensity
E. 1 blaster fires continuously from a tiny island surrounded by a very deep pool of creeper
F. 1 mortar fires continuously into another deep pool of creeper
G. 2 drones recharge completely

All weapons used for events A to G are different weapons and don't interfere with each other in any way. They won't starve and no upgrades have been applied. What is the minimum amount of energy you need to generate per second to finish this minute with exactly the same amount of energy in store as you started? The answer has to be exactly correct (one decimal).

A: Blasters use 1/5 energy per shot, and the emitter can be capped so: (1/0.5)/5= 0.4 energy/second
B: Same so: (1/0.4)/5= 0.5 energy/second
C: 4 energy needed per spore so in total 20 energy needed= 20/60 = 0.33... energy/second
D: The two spores can be one-shotted so (2/5)/60 = 0.0066... energy/second.
E: a blaster shoots once every 7 frames so will shoot 36(frame rate of CW)*60/7 times in total 308.57 so it'll shoot 308 times using 308/5=61.6/60=1.0266... energy/second
F: Mortars shoot (according to you in another post) once every 103 frames that's 36*60/103=20.97 times so only 20 times using 3.4 energy per shot so that's about 20*3.4=68/60=1.133... energy second
G: One drone is 24 energy so 48energy/60 is 0.8... energy/second

Answer: Combined that is 4.2 energy needed

UpperKEES

Quote from: Sqaz on October 21, 2010, 12:01:49 PM

Correct! :) One point for you.

My way of calculating (which comes to the same thing):

A. The emitter emits 120 times, making the blaster fire 120 times, using 24 packets.
B. The emitter emits 150 times, making the blaster fire 150 times, using 30 packets
C. The SAMs fire 5 times, using 20 packets.
D. The blaster fires 2 times, using 0.4 packets.
E. The blaster fires 308 times, using 61.6 packets.
F. The mortar fires 20 times, using 68 packets.
G. The two drones use 48 packets to recharge.

Total: 24 + 30 + 20 + 0.4 + 61.6 + 68 + 48 = 252 ammo packets

252 energy / 60 seconds = 4.2 energy per second

I will post the next question next week, because I also want to play the tournament (and win it ;)).

mthw2vc

Quote from: UpperKEES on October 21, 2010, 12:05:30 PM
Quote from: Sqaz on October 21, 2010, 12:01:49 PM

Correct! :) One point for you.

My way of calculating (which comes to the same thing):

A. The emitter emits 120 times, making the blaster fire 120 times, using 24 packets.
B. The emitter emits 150 times, making the blaster fire 150 times, using 30 packets
C. The SAMs fire 5 times, using 20 packets.
D. The blaster fires 2 times, using 0.4 packets.
E. The blaster fires 308 times, using 61.6 packets.
F. The mortar fires 20 times, using 68 packets.
G. The two drones use 48 packets to recharge.

Total: 24 + 30 + 20 + 0.4 + 61.6 + 68 + 48 = 252 ammo packets

252 energy / 60 seconds = 4.2 energy per second

I will post the next question next week, because I also want to play the tournament (and win it ;)).
*BUZZER*

Incorrect. Here's a little secret (Which I was going to reveal when I got done testing it properly): The energy ticker doesn't advance at the same rate as the seconds ticker. It actually advances closer to every 0.8 seconds. (Building a collector with no upgrades is a good example of this. We can all agree it uses 1 depletion, but it only takes 8 seconds to build.) In the End, it should only require ~3.5 collection, which you would both know if you actually built a test map for this.

UpperKEES

Quote from: mthw2vc on October 21, 2010, 04:08:41 PM
Incorrect. Here's a little secret (Which I was going to reveal when I got done testing it properly): The energy ticker doesn't advance at the same rate as the seconds ticker. It actually advances closer to every 0.8 seconds. (Building a collector with no upgrades is a good example of this. We can all agree it uses 1 depletion, but it only takes 8 seconds to build.) In the End, it should only require ~3.4 collection, which you would both know if you actually built a test map for this.

I did build a testmap, several actually. This is how I determined the amount of frames it takes for a blaster to fire. ;) What I did: I filled 4 storage units so I had 100 energy. Then I disconnected OC from the network by flying it, so it was only connected to the 4 storage units, a relay and a blaster. Then I timed how long it would take for the blaster to empty 100 units of energy without landing OC (which would generate energy). Of course I used CW seconds instead of my own stopwatch. I let the blaster fire at a ridge with creeper flowing down from it (ensuring me there would be creeper to fire at every frame). The data was always consistent. :)

mthw2vc

That isn't what I meant and I don't doubt your data for blaster and mortar firing rates. However, if you built a test map to confirm your numbers for this question, you would realize that you end up with a lot of extra energy at 4.2 collection. 3.5 collection is sufficient.

UpperKEES

I'm not sure what you exactly mean. The depletion display only shows a rounded number (with increments of 0.5) and is averaged over a full second, see here, so this is not something you want to be looking at for exact numbers. It could however very well be that I misunderstand you, so please elaborate, because I find this very interesting and I'm convinced you know a lot about it.

UpperKEES

After our interesting discussion in chat I have done some testing and I found that 10 reactors deliver roughly 2020 energy per 10 minutes, while you would expect this to be 1800, as each reactor is supposed to generate 0.3 energy per second. Please note that it's hard to get exact data, as I explained in my previous post. This is why I tested over a rather long period of time by flying OC over 10 reactors, 120 storage units and a bunch of relays.

Clearly the energy collection numbers are not per second as you already indicated, but per 1800/2020 = 0.89 seconds. This equals about 32/36 seconds, which could be an indication it has something to do with the frame rate. The maximum number of 32 packets dispersed by Odin City could also be related, as you suggested. Virgil, please feel free to help us out here!

Now, to come back to the original question: does this affect the answer? No.

Quote from: mthw2vc on October 21, 2010, 04:08:41 PM
The energy ticker doesn't advance at the same rate as the seconds ticker. It actually advances closer to every 0.8 seconds.

The weapons use altogether 4.2 energy per second. There is only one way to make sure you don't lose energy: collect 4.2 energy per second. You are right about the fact that the collection display (or ticker as you call it) will probably display less when you are collecting exactly 4.2 energy per second (it will probably say 4.2 * 0.89 = 3.7). I didn't ask however what the display would read or how much energy you would need per 0.89 seconds. I asked how much energy you would need to generate per second and this remains 4.2, so the point still goes to Sqaz. Nevertheless this is very useful information. Thanks for bringing it to our attention! :)

Quote from: UpperKEES on October 21, 2010, 04:59:46 PM
Building a collector with no upgrades is a good example of this. We can all agree it uses 1 depletion, but it only takes 8 seconds to build.

When looking at this, don't forget that the build packet request rate also matters here. Who says a collector requests exactly one package per second? It is very likely that a similar factor (like 0.89) is used here. Probably all gauges/displays/tickers are measured per 0.89 seconds, so maybe this affects gameplay less than we think. I'm glad CW2 will use 30 frames per second, so we won't be dealing with these kind of issues! ;)

knucracker

Indeed... you figured out the sub-rhythm that CW1 uses.... namely 32.  Some things (like what you found) are set on a 32 frame cycle.  Note that nothing is ever really based on seconds.  That's just a shorthand used when talking about things.  Everything in the game is based on frame counts.

UpperKEES

You've got to love that number! ;) I know I do....

Well, assuming everything dances to the same rhythm it doesn't change anything. It only means that when we like to express amounts of energy collected or depleted per second, we should multiply the display values by 36/32 = 1.125.

Thanks again! :)

Blaze

>:( I DUN KNUW!!!

lol jk But really, I have no clue.

UpperKEES

Quote from: Blaze on October 22, 2010, 01:15:34 AM
>:( I DUN KNUW!!!

lol jk But really, I have no clue.

Please don't post when you have no clue. The answer has been given anyway....