Ship vs Omni Controls

Started by Relli, September 25, 2016, 04:14:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Relli

There are one or two things that a ship will do that an Omni will not, and vice versa. To name a few:
You can cue up movements for Omnis to follow one by one, but cannot for ships.
While picking a location to build an Omni, no Lathe or Cannon range is shown. This has caused a few problems when trying to keep my Omni out of range of harmful things but in range to lathe the intended target. It usually results in many attempts to place an omni, miss the range, delete it, and try again.
Which brings me to a point related to both ships and omnis. If you delete a unit yourself, the notifications tab will read it as the unit being destroyed, same as anything else. While this might be considered nitpicking, it does bother me rather a lot. The notifications might ignore self-destroyed units, or perhaps have a tag that specifically states that it was deleted, either works well.
And though this is not related to the rest, I'd like to note that Omnis with their own reactors can still drain significant power from energy mines when first built, even at 100% efficiency. This can at times waste energy that is far more needed elsewhere, and partly (though not entirely) negates the point of using an amp gem on Omni Reactors in the first place.
That's about the culmination of my thoughts thus far. Thanks for taking the time to read, and for making this awesome game in the first place  :)

Kharnellius

Yep, have all the same gripes.  I will 2nd this.

Ovalcircle

The energy mines giving power to the Omnis with the Omni reactor upgrade bothers me.
[REDACTED]

"If you are good at something, never do it."

Karsten75

Quote from: Relli on September 25, 2016, 04:14:54 PM
... I'd like to note that Omnis with their own reactors can still drain significant power from energy mines when first built, even at 100% efficiency. This can at times waste energy that is far more needed elsewhere, and partly (though not entirely) negates the point of using an amp gem on Omni Reactors in the first place.

I think you miss the point of the upgrade.  Building things takes energy - the reactors in the Omni has to be constructed before it can provide energy. :)  The big advantage of the upgrade is that it allow a unit with a lather and that can mire terrain to operate outside the rtance of en energy source.  That's a pretty big deal IMHO. 15 fully-equipped Omnis with their own power makes a formidable force.

Relli

Not quite what I was getting at. I didn't mean that Omnis should be able to construct themselves. But when built in range of an energy mine or Port (which is always), it then charges all the way to completely full energy off of the mine's (or port's) energy, instead of allowing it to charge on its own merits. I've seen 100% efficiency omnis keep themselves fully charged at all times, so presumably they have enough to handle things themselves. That's all I'm saying.

jaworeq

EDIT:Damn, I'm so slow. It's already fixed according to change log ;)

Agreed Relli.
@Karsten: building 15 omnis will usually drain all the energy from energy pockets, it doesn't account whether you have Omni reactor active/not active, 0/100%.

Darkmega

oh cool, so mass omni+reactors won't eat all your energy now? cause those suckers really seem to love draining your power if you build them all at once (considering the big bold green lines I see go to them)

GoodMorning

Specifically, "Omni Reactors" gives energy over time, and more then the Omni needs. Thus the upgrade negates the need for an energy mine to charge the internal storage when building completes. Therefore, when a just-built Omni drains 30eps for a short time (to charge), this power is wasted, as the Omni could generate it independently.
A narrative is a lightly-marked path to another reality.

Darkmega

Yes, that much I know. so with a change that jawo just said was in the changelog, does that mean with reactors the mines will supply other things first before trying to summon reactorified omnis?

edit: *checked changelog* oh, yep, ok, right smack bang on the top. :O

Relli

I am almost indescribably pleased with how fast my suggested changes made it onto the beta log. Thank you so much Virgil!

Now then, to properly explain what this change means:
When Omni Reactors is at 100% efficiency (not 1%, not 99%, all the way at 100%) it will no longer ask for energy at any point, even right after being built. It will instead charge on its own using the reactor.

knucracker

Yep.... been too busy to really respond, but I have read over most messages.  Anything that makes good sense and is easy to pick off, I have tried to do.

Kharnellius

Your response time is awesome.  I  noticed your beta log indicating "Don't create a game event when an omni is destroyed by the player."

This actually happens for all units.  So perhaps... "Don't create a game event when an omni or ship is destroyed/cancelled by the player."

Kharnellius

Just an FYI the game no longer says "omni destroyed" when you delete one, but it still does when you delete a ship.  I tested for all the ships.

4xC

Quote from: Kharnellius on September 28, 2016, 12:06:08 AM
Just an FYI the game no longer says "omni destroyed" when you delete one, but it still does when you delete a ship.  I tested for all the ships.

Same thing when you destroy a ship that is past construction stage and to make matters worse, its DEATH sound plays too. Never had that in CW3 and it would make a great polish bug after release if we didn't have it then.

Also, I support the notion that Omnis not only should not absorb so much mine energy when they have their own reactors, especially at 100% Amp gem efficiency, but I'd like to see some "Stop resupply buttons and digital readouts for energy units per consumer. This may not sound relevant since there are no packets in this game, but when energy is starved, you see lines of energy becomming dotted lines, so I sense there is still a numeric quantity for everything that uses energy.

And how about some stop resupply for PRPL-exclusives like those story turrets?

And what is the difference between Dop_ships and Dopples? They're 2 separate targets for MK7's for instance, but I never saw the difference.

I also notice that I can't seem to cancel whenever I select an omni and don't select a spot for it to move or land at.
C,C,C,C

GoodMorning

Dop-ships seems to be targeting both ships and Doppels.

Energy is still packetwise, merely over an invisible network, and in green pulseoid packets which sometimes have overlapping graphics if there are enough.

Some turrets are core elements, others are not. Custom Core selection and tightly integrated UI would be nice, but take time. Maybe post-release we will get a selection or menu API. In the meanwhilst, we can MIT try, in much the same way as we did with CRPL.

There is an option to specify a detailed Omni flight path, with it moving straight at the cursor. This can be triggered accidentally and can be hard to release, though.

The destruction tags and sounds are only recently coming out of bugginess. I'm sure it will be fixed soon.
A narrative is a lightly-marked path to another reality.