Feedback

Started by 4xC, September 22, 2016, 07:07:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

4xC

To start, I must say that when I first got my key, I didn't rush into the campaign like I thought I would, I rushed into the ship editor; I've always wanted to design custom war-waging space vessels. I already have a bunch of ideas for the editor that may or may not be worth your time, Virgil.

Ship Editor

1. I think there should be an option that allows the modules to be listed in order of size.
2. I would also like a hull brush size.
3. I would like to zoom in and out to see for myself the ranges of the weapons.
4. It would be nice to have a little blurb about each module.
5. Maybe it should only be possible to use this feature upon reaching it in campaign to maintain the element of surprise.
6. How about an estimated construction time. The ship I attached below took WAY longer than I thought it would to make it.
7. it would also be nice to have a confirm box before removing all modules takes effect.

Apart from these things, I am head over heels hooked to the game already.
C,C,C,C

GoodMorning

There is an estimated construction time in the editor already. Four and a half minutes, plus change, is the time on that screenshot. This assumes that I haven't made some horrible error in interpreting 275s for as line as I have used the editor.

Bear in mind also, that the editor estimates based on assumed power reserves, and that the bridge builds first, impacted by the intended size of the ship, then the hull and modules build.
A narrative is a lightly-marked path to another reality.

Ebon Heart

Can you see the estimated construction time of ships in game? I could not find a way.
When the going gets tough, the tough get going. The smart left a long time ago.
Check out the amazing A Tragedy Forgotten CW2 map series!

Qwerty Quazo

The construction time is for the command module only.

Also, your ship has no symmetry... MY EYES HURT A LOT!
The brain is complicated. Use it or lose it.

4xC

A. No symmetry? Where? Only thing I see asymmetric are the port and Guppy.
B. I see the seconds count now. 275 seconds, 4 minutes and 35 seconds. Thanks for pointing it out.

Anyway, additional feedback:

UI

1. I'd like for the ship inventory to show where mounted amp gems are so I don't have to check for orange bridges all the time.
2. Would it be possible to show the deficit of energy starvation? All I see is 0 for a while until late-game when I have won a lot of skirmishes and saturated a lot of land and mine presence.
3. Countdown timer somewhere for Stunner attacks. Just like Spore/phantom clocks. You get the picture.

Ships

1. What does the "Waypoint" button do?
2. Could it be possible to make ships rotate to an assigned position BEFORE they reach their destination?
3. I'd like to be able to see individual energy amounts when I select a ship so I don't get as easily blindsided when a bridge goes black.
4. What are the "defense" and "other" options for select weapons?

Apart from all that, I'm impressed with how far Virgil has gone with the effort of making it as user-friendly as possible and still requiring a little bit of forethought. I'm also satisfied with the target priority settings for lathes and case-sensitive weapons.
C,C,C,C

Qwerty Quazo

Quote from: 4xC on September 22, 2016, 09:17:55 AM

That's more than enough.

Qwerty Quazo

I have you have time, create a map with an enemy energy mine and park your hq close. The mine starts firing with a cannon while your hq counters it. Cool, huh?

4xC

Quote from: Qwerty Quazo on September 22, 2016, 09:24:07 AM

I have you have time, create a map with an enemy energy mine and park your hq close. The mine starts firing with a cannon while your hq counters it. Cool, huh?

So "defense" makes cannons and such hit projectiles from enemy cannon shots?

Also UI: I'd like to see dotted lines for weapons with ranges that overlap each other, not just some misshapen oval alone. Helps to see which modules will not hit all the same areas.
C,C,C,C

GoodMorning

I'd argue that ranges for each weapon will be confusing. An orientation arrow for blocky ships would be nice.

Also, a minor point: menu buttons are largely square, and look like CW3 buttons. However, many of the in-game buttons have rounded corners. Biggest culprit is the 'return to main menu' button from the Exchange. This feels inconsistent, and looks like an easy way to add a large amount of apparent polish with minimal effort, changing round corners to square.
A narrative is a lightly-marked path to another reality.

kwinse

Quote from: Qwerty Quazo on September 22, 2016, 09:19:17 AM

That's more than enough.

The Microtank and Tanker designs are asymmetric in a similar fashion.

Qwerty Quazo

Quote from: kwinse on September 22, 2016, 01:02:49 PM
Quote from: Qwerty Quazo on September 22, 2016, 09:19:17 AM

That's more than enough.

The Microtank and Tanker designs are asymmetric in a similar fashion.

Yeah, but there isn't much I can do about it. I made my own which also have reactors. I think you can see them in the last video I posted.

Kharnellius

UI
2. Would it be possible to show the deficit of energy starvation? All I see is 0 for a while until late-game when I have won a lot of skirmishes and saturated a lot of land and mine presence.
This!  I was wondering why that was missing in the videos.