General Questions

Started by D0m0nik, September 15, 2016, 01:57:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GoodMorning

Do not forget that a new assault can be mounted later.
A narrative is a lightly-marked path to another reality.

chwooly

Is it just me or does it seem like the story line is for everyone/average players and the maps that have been made so far are for the Micheal Phelps of the Knuckle Cracker community?
I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do."
― Robert A. Heinlein

GoodMorning

It seems to me that the maps so far are made by people who have practiced, and that the new key recipients are still getting a sense of exactly how much strain a Lathe can take, and how best to support it. (Oh... I just reread the first page of this thread, and realised that those words could take another meaning. Still somewhat valid, though.)

knucracker

The story maps are definitely meant to go from beginner, to intermediate, to advanced intermediate.
The current exchange maps do require a jump in skill.  There aren't many, and they were made by very experienced players.  I don't expect all exchange maps to be like that, though.  And I expect some other maps to show up in inception that cover the spectrum of skill.

Story and Inception I can control, Exchange is up to everyone else.  But in the event there is no happy medium for a given player, I included a random map generator in both PF and CW3.  That was my thinking anyway.  It was actually a bit of overkill to have a random map generator and a map editor with online sharing (took a lot more work), but I wanted the spectrum to be covered for potential players.

PF also has one more way to accommodate players.  You can play with a sandbox fleet. A mission's energy constraints and enemies are still in place, but you could potentially make a mission easier (or harder) by using ships of your own design.

The final piece will all fall into place once I have custom ship sharing available (integrated in the game).  That way a person could pick and choose from other people's designs when playing a map and not even have to make their own.

chwooly

Quote from: virgilw on September 15, 2016, 08:26:08 PM
The story maps are definitely meant to go from beginner, to intermediate, to advanced intermediate.
The current exchange maps do require a jump in skill.  There aren't many, and they were made by very experienced players.  I don't expect all exchange maps to be like that, though.  And I expect some other maps to show up in inception that cover the spectrum of skill.

Story and Inception I can control, Exchange is up to everyone else.  But in the event there is no happy medium for a given player, I included a random map generator in both PF and CW3.  That was my thinking anyway.  It was actually a bit of overkill to have a random map generator and a map editor with online sharing (took a lot more work), but I wanted the spectrum to be covered for potential players.

PF also has one more way to accommodate players.  You can play with a sandbox fleet. A mission's energy constraints and enemies are still in place, but you could potentially make a mission easier (or harder) by using ships of your own design.

The final piece will all fall into place once I have custom ship sharing available (integrated in the game).  That way a person could pick and choose from other people's designs when playing a map and not even have to make their own.

I just finished a map with a sandbox fleet, Great idea, It does help when the skills are not there, However 1 note, When you are placing ships if you have deleted ships in the middle of the stack those stay empty.even when picking up tech on the map.

Cheers and thanks for another great game.
I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do."
― Robert A. Heinlein

Fireball14

Quote from: chwooly on September 15, 2016, 08:46:57 PM
I just finished a map with a sandbox fleet, Great idea, It does help when the skills are not there, However 1 note, When you are placing ships if you have deleted ships in the middle of the stack those stay empty.even when picking up tech on the map.

Cheers and thanks for another great game.
There is small check box on top of your ship list, that allows you to drug your ship icons around.

Ovalcircle

I was browsing the Exchange and I found that I can't click on a map creator's name to see all of the maps made by that person. Will this feature be in the final version?
[REDACTED]

"If you are good at something, never do it."

knucracker

Yeah, it should be a feature I think.
Were you in carousel or grid view mode?  (Top left next to the filters you can change the view mode).

So that I would have double the work, I decided to have two different views for the same data.  With all the extra time I have I thought that would be a good idea :)

Ovalcircle

Tried it in both views and it didn't work :(.  Also, when you click the details button for a map, you can rate it without downloading it or going into the actual map. I don't want some troll to go on a Rate 1 spree and discourage new map-makers. Otherwise, I'm having a fantastic time with the game and look forward to the official release.
[REDACTED]

"If you are good at something, never do it."

D0m0nik

I can't for the life of me work out how to use the AMP Gems. Can someone please give an idiot a guide? Thanks

Tjgalon

Quote from: D0m0nik on September 16, 2016, 04:25:41 AM
I can't for the life of me work out how to use the AMP Gems. Can someone please give an idiot a guide? Thanks
Can I ask what part of the amp gem confuses you? When you click a ship, there a button for placing the gem on the ship that gives it more range and fire power, there also a spoiler, if it what I think your issue is, and I hate to spoil for you.

GoodMorning

Two uses:
Tech: Button on lower-right of UI, similar to Forge.
Ship: Select, bottom of menu has "Mount Amp Gem" button.

I'm missing something as well, if there are more uses.

jaworeq

Also, you have to collect it with lathe...

GoodMorning

A question for someone (likely planetfall):
Where can I find PRPL docs?

Wiki -> PRPL is incomplete, Wiki -> PRPL ->Alphabetic command list refuses access (citing permissions), Wiki -> PRPL -> prpldocs doesn't compile (but some information is extractable).

Unlike CW3, I can't find a way to import the campaign or Exchange for extraction (possibly NYI).

Thanks.

D0m0nik

Completely missed the button at the bottom for mounting, thanks