General Questions

Started by D0m0nik, September 15, 2016, 01:57:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Karsten75

Quote from: GoodMorning on September 17, 2016, 02:15:31 AM
Do amp gems accelerate build rate when mounted into incomplete ships? If they can be used for a global upgrade, can we concentrate the effect into a single ship? Not necessarily for the "rebuild", but for the bridge (especially of a Titan) to build twice as fast, an amp gem might be a worthy cost.

No, they do not accelerate ship building on a per-ship basis.

GoodMorning

Now, the important question: Could they? (It could likely be PRPLed, but it seems more straightforward to implement directly. Not that it's important, and it's a balancing decision anyway, but the question might as well be asked...)
A narrative is a lightly-marked path to another reality.

Karsten75

Quote from: GoodMorning on September 17, 2016, 03:39:37 AM
Now, the important question: Could they? (It could likely be PRPLed, but it seems more straightforward to implement directly. Not that it's important, and it's a balancing decision anyway, but the question might as well be asked...)

Well, of course anything ins possible, it's merely a small matter of programming. There are incongruities in the process that makes it an awkward mechanism, though.

GoodMorning

What separates it from a conditional in the supply decision, or the reduction of a timer interval? I don't propose that the bridge be beult for a lower cost, only at a higher rate.

While trying it just to see, though, I noticed that the orange amp-bridge overlays the progress bar.

May I suggest (again, as a post-release feature) that ship tiles show the state of their ship?
Design
Current colouring for unbuilt, with colour (particle blue? white?) moving across as a progress bar while the bridge builds. Once complete, this will be the background of the tile. The ship plan then begins to change colour based what is constructed. This allows us to see at a glance the construction state, and what may have been damaged. It would also let us see (without panning to the other side of the map) whether damage is minor or critical. Energy state could still be shown as now, possibly with a dedicated part of the tile or by the current colouring system, applied to the tile background.
[close]
A narrative is a lightly-marked path to another reality.

chwooly

Just a quick thought before my 2nd cuppa. When unmounting a gem there is a count down. Is there any way to stop that count down? Also is there any way to hot key ship builds, since we are limited to a set number of ships due to the build menu might it be easier to program the hot keys to the block that the ship is in?  Or automate so that when you lose a ship it is automatically rebuilt. maybe this can be toggled off and on? Maybe even have it auto fly to a check point?

Another issue is not being able to zoom when I have a ship selected. Sometimes I will zoom in to pick a particular ship and then want to zoom out again using the mouse wheel but can't maybe when a ship is selected you could zoom out by holding down space, control, alt, or some other key?

Oh and when first starting a map if you place the HQ in the wrong spot you only have 2 options, 1 is destroy it so it jumps back into rift space and then you have to wait 20 secs or so, or abort and restart.

Also is there some way to have prioritize your HQ build? In maps where the mine is very close to resource packs HQ and lathes will either pick the pack or jump between the source and the pack unless you are very precise in placement?

Cheers
I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do."
― Robert A. Heinlein

mzimmer74

One general question that I haven't been able to figure out is how to stop a build.  Let's say I start building 3 ships and realize I don't have the energy to build them quickly.  In CW3 I could simply select two of them and deactivate them.  So far, the only option I see in PF is to destroy a ship.  However, I might not want to do that since I've already invested a little bit of energy into them.  Am I missing something obvious?
Omnipotence doesn't mean the ability to do what is logically impossible. It's possible, therefore, for God to create beings with the kind of free will that can choose between good and evil, but he can't also force those creatures to choose good. If he forced their choice, it wouldn't be free.

Karsten75

Quote from: mzimmer74 on September 17, 2016, 11:08:39 AM
One general question that I haven't been able to figure out is how to stop a build.  Let's say I start building 3 ships and realize I don't have the energy to build them quickly.  In CW3 I could simply select two of them and deactivate them.  So far, the only option I see in PF is to destroy a ship.  However, I might not want to do that since I've already invested a little bit of energy into them.  Am I missing something obvious?

Yep. Can't right now. Probably should go on some wish-list somewhere. Don't hold your breath pre-release. Since it's bugs and story missions only and features after. :)

mzimmer74

Quote from: Karsten75 on September 17, 2016, 11:31:16 AM
Quote from: mzimmer74 on September 17, 2016, 11:08:39 AM

Yep. Can't right now. Probably should go on some wish-list somewhere. Don't hold your breath pre-release. Since it's bugs and story missions only and features after. :)

No worries.  Not a critical thing obviously.  I'm just glad I wasn't being completely oblivious to something obvious! :)
Omnipotence doesn't mean the ability to do what is logically impossible. It's possible, therefore, for God to create beings with the kind of free will that can choose between good and evil, but he can't also force those creatures to choose good. If he forced their choice, it wouldn't be free.

knucracker

I have that real close to working already.  If the command module is finished, you can click on the "Build Hull" button in the ship's control panel and that will stop the ship hull from building.  I'll see if I can maybe make that apply to the command module as well, so it works during that part of the ship building process.

mzimmer74

Another non-critical thing that would be nice.  When I play a map in the exchange and beat it the only option to finish is to exit mission.  However, when I do that it takes me back to the exchange.  The only problem is that if I want to rate the map I have to click on it again. 

I'm guessing this is already on the to-do list, but if not I'd like to request an intermediate window.  When I beat the level and click on exit, have it take me directly to a rating window and then back to the exchange after I've rated the map (or clicked exit).  Basically, it'd be nice to have it work like CW3.

D0m0nik

I agree with three of the above points, I would love to be able to zoom with the wheel whilst a unit is selected. Not being able to pause building is a problem for energy management if you are very much in the CW mindset and the menu point by Mzimmer is, as mentioned, a minor one but still a bit annoying. Does not distract form the game though.

knucracker

You can go into the controls tab of the settings and change the mouse wheel to only zoom.  If you do that, then you'll have to use other ways of rotating the ship (keys, or click drag). Might reset on you if you go back into the controls settings (bug that should be fixed next build, fingers crossed).

And ship building will be something you can suspend in the next build as well.

Sorrontis

In the map editor, is there a way to resize the map without making a new one? Definitely not a pressing matter.
"If you want others to be happy, practice compassion. If you want to be happy, practice compassion."

gakm4

When making a map will it be possible to force people to use the predesignated fleet instead of a custom one?

For the high scores is it possible to have custom and stock fleets to have a filter to see how you rank with people using the stock fleet instead of against people building the perfect custom fleet for a mission?

Will it be possible to hide completed maps in the exchange?

planetfall

Quote from: gakm4 on September 17, 2016, 05:59:36 PM
When making a map will it be possible to force people to use the predesignated fleet instead of a custom one?

Yes, via PRPL, though that's a nasty trick that would likely get you lots of negative votes. Actually this gives me an idea... A custom map generator that uses the player-selected fleet as the seed, assuming the RNG works the same way as it did in CW3... hmm...
Pretty sure I'm supposed to be banned, someone might want to get on that.

Quote from: GoodMorning on December 01, 2016, 05:58:30 PM"Build a ladder to the moon" is simple as a sentence, but actually doing it is not.