Is the Destroyer the weakest ship in the game?

Started by Qwerty Quazo, August 31, 2016, 04:39:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Qwerty Quazo

The destroyer seems weak to me as the cruiser had (sort of) the same weapons twice, and joven has a variety of them (still more) and is the fastest. I tried to fix the weakness I believe destroyer has by overhauling the role of the ship.

What I did is simply added A TON more lasers to change the ship's position in battle, the one closest to particles. This is the ship we didn't see in the game and would be cool to see in action. Imagine it just rushing into particles but still remain intact.

To conclude, in my opinion destroyer is the weakest ship and I changed to an interesting one that can charge into particles without the fear of being destroyed in a blink.

What do you think? Did I made the destroyer the type of ship that is new to the game? Or did I completely broke it?

Ps: This ship maybe is meant to be the "cheap" one, if you understand what I mean.
The brain is complicated. Use it or lose it.

J

For a front-line ship I'd rather have just a huge armored hull with some lasers. No need to have cannons on a ship for that :P
Anyways, the ship editor should allow you to test this new frontline destroyer. The current weak destroyer might also serve well as defense turret in places where only a few particles arrive. That would be a waste if it had so many lasers.

Btw, I'm pretty sure that I can design a ship that is far weaker than a destroyer ;)

knucracker

Every ship has one final weapon that it can only use once.  It doesn't destroy particles, but it can still be very useful....

Karsten75

Quote from: virgilw on August 31, 2016, 05:53:07 PM
Every ship has one final weapon that it can only use once.  It doesn't destroy particles, but it can still be very useful....

...  that, again? :D

knucracker

SMF Database Error: Message follows:

---
Private message to: Karsten75
{Message encrypted using code2}

Hey K75... I was going to mention to the people on the public forums about the corbomite device on every ship... but thought that would best be left as a surprise.  So lets just keep that between us.

Virgil
---

The_Mell

First thought:
Cheap ship that can run into a bunch of particles without being damaged? Sounds overpowered and boring - not interesting.

Second thought:
This ship should be cheap but has a lot of 'expensive' lasers? Wonder how many % its price will raise with these upgrades...

Third thought:
Ship editor and custom fleets for missions - go ahead, do it yourself, then come back and tell us how it worked out.
"Fairies Wear Boots" - Black Sabbath

ShadeOfRed

So the Destroyer...is the weakest ship probably.  But that doesn't mean it isn't useful as a tool in your box.

I've found it to be good to move up and maybe sacrifice in order to get an emitter destroyed.

Early part of a mission and an enemy ship has moved in and is kicking you butt?  Destroyer to draw fire and maybe charge into the ship to knock some of it's guns offline to buy some time?  Perfect.

Need to get a beachhead on some land to get some omni's put down?  Destroyers cannons are ideal for hammering a coastline so you can make a beach landing.  It's great.

Since they are all robot controlled ships I don't feel bad for letting them blow up.  :)

Cavemaniac

Quote from: ShadeOfRed on September 12, 2016, 04:36:29 PM

So the Destroyer...is the weakest ship probably. 

Since they are all robot controlled ships I don't feel bad for letting them blow up.  :)

I found the Joven significantly more likely to blow up unexpectedly!

It's fast and cheap, but doesn't last.

Be yourself. Everyone else is already taken.

planetfall

The joven has 3 weak spots where the bridge can easily be hit: left, right, and back. The destroyer is only weak in the back.
Though they have similar costs, the guns and engines on the joven are further from the bridge than they are on the destroyer. This means the destroyer becomes useful much faster than the joven.
The joven's long range guns are located further forward than they are on the destroyer, meaning they are more easily lost in a collision.
Sometimes you'll just need a bit of firepower to hang back and help some omnis clear a patch of mire, which requires cannons. Using any other ship with cannons takes some other weapon off the front lines as well (be it the marauder's missiles and particle beam or the HQ's lathe).

Of course the joven has other things to recommend it, but it's not a direct upgrade from the destroyer.
Pretty sure I'm supposed to be banned, someone might want to get on that.

Quote from: GoodMorning on December 01, 2016, 05:58:30 PM"Build a ladder to the moon" is simple as a sentence, but actually doing it is not.

ShadeOfRed

Quote from: planetfall on September 12, 2016, 07:52:37 PM
The joven has 3 weak spots where the bridge can easily be hit: left, right, and back. The destroyer is only weak in the back.
Though they have similar costs, the guns and engines on the joven are further from the bridge than they are on the destroyer. This means the destroyer becomes useful much faster than the joven.
The joven's long range guns are located further forward than they are on the destroyer, meaning they are more easily lost in a collision.
Sometimes you'll just need a bit of firepower to hang back and help some omnis clear a patch of mire, which requires cannons. Using any other ship with cannons takes some other weapon off the front lines as well (be it the marauder's missiles and particle beam or the HQ's lathe).

Of course the joven has other things to recommend it, but it's not a direct upgrade from the destroyer.

Joven is super fast, making it good when you need to get in and get out, say to draw a bunch of particles into a piece of land you have already mired.

It has that particle laser that slows down particles.  That is worth the price by itself.  It can hold back a huge group of particles (at least for a time) that the Destroyer can't.

But, anyway, for damage output, destroyer is the weakest.  Besides the Lathe.  But again, I haven't found any ship to be useless, unless I have a grabber and no blue particles or a discharger and no stun spores.  Of course they still make great ramming ships in a pinch.

knucracker

Yeah, any left over discharger ships after I have taken out stunner spawners... I often re-purpose into less than honorable behavior.

ShadeOfRed

Quote from: virgilw on September 14, 2016, 07:40:42 PM
Yeah, any left over discharger ships after I have taken out stunner spawners... I often re-purpose into less than honorable behavior.

I like the way you phrased that sir.

GoodMorning

There is honour in sacrifice... or so we are told.

Alternatively, some say "BOOM AHAHAHA!".

Only one group tends to be quoted, for some reason...
A narrative is a lightly-marked path to another reality.

Sorrontis

I've yet to lose a destroyer. They're pretty useful
"If you want others to be happy, practice compassion. If you want to be happy, practice compassion."

SuperTerminator

The hammer I've found to have the most utility when assaulting clusters of particles or terminating dopples when my antidopple power is low. He's my most honorable soldier. There is much glory in an honorable death in combat! I have sent many a hammer to valhalla already :P
I tried making CW3 custom maps once upon a time. I kinda failed. My maps were too large/stupidly long/stupidly easy. I think I only ever made one really good map, and its not for people who hate spores. I mean it'd be good shock therapy xD