Achievements for Creeper World 3

Started by Grayzzur, November 14, 2013, 11:35:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Clean0nion

Quote from: virgilw on February 23, 2014, 10:19:37 AM
Beyond that they also serve as a form of viral advertisement within the steam ecosystem.  Because the steam ecosystem is so incredibly large there are large friend networks.  Game publishers want the friends of players of their game to also buy the game.  Achievements are a way players advertise a game to their friends.  And it works both ways actually... this is obviously good for publishers but it can also be good for players looking for something to play.
So how about something that involves inviting friends to the game? Perhaps a new player has the ability to name a "referrer" and then the referrer gets the achievement?

Grayzzur

Quote from: virgilw on February 23, 2014, 10:19:37 AM
...and 3 endings to Arca (two paths and one way to lose).
4 endings to Arca then, with 3 paths to victory. That last ending could be one of the mystery type achievements... don't know what it is until you get it. :)

Speaking of Farbor... since the ship takes longer to build the more ore ships you can snipe, it's possible to drag that out a bit. If you do nothing the prism ship is built at 13:40. An achievement for holding off its construction until the 20 minute mark could be interesting. It's actually possible to get to a state where you can hold off it's construction indefinitely, but players that can do that can probably win at the 20 minute mark or better.
"Fate. It protects fools, little children, and ships named 'Enterprise.'" -William T. Riker

Grauniad

A goodnight to all and to all a good night - Goodnight Moon

thejoe66

I think that there should not be referral achievements since it's not something that involves the game getting a certain goal or something like that. I always feel that those kind of achievements are the worst and if you look at other community's for games you will see those kind of of achievements can inflict unhappy thoughts to start floating around there too.
"Humanity is probably the only animal capable of hating itself."-The end of Evangelion

Asbestos

Spoiler
It's not easy being green - completed a storyline mission with 95% soylent coverage.
Air Superiority - completed a storyline mission with at least 40 Strafers and Bombers in the air.
Technical Superiority - completed a storyline mission with all upgrades maxed (unlimited upgrades at 10+).
I've got the power! - completed a storyline mission with at least 30 reactors.
All the time in the world - take longer than 2 hours to complete any mission.
Out of time - complete any mission in less than 1 minute.
Split Personality - Complete the final mission with both endings
Who made this game? - Beat credits mission
A time limit! - Beat Farbor
Story freak - Complete all story missions
Can stop ya - Win Arca before that thing is built
Alpha fan - Win 15 alpha sector missions
Alpha freak - Beat all alpha missions
Never ending fun - Win 500 missions
Prospector freak - Complete all propector maps
Tormented freak - Beat all tormented space missions
Inhibitor killer - Nullify 50 inhibitors
Emitter/runner/runner nest/spore tower/AET killer - Kill/nullify x ...
Pacifist - beat a hard (Egos plus) Arc level without killing any creeper
Saboteur - beat Farbor before the ship launches
Author - submit a successful map to Colonial Space
Mass Production - submit 20 successful maps to Colonial Space
Hacker - submit a successful map to Colonial Space containing custom CRPL
Final Destinationer - convince Virgil to add a secret ending
Final Destination - complete the secret ending
Silent - complete a hard Arc level without using any collectors
Antimaster - complete a hard Arc level without using Pulse Cannons, Mortars or Strafers
Pyrotechnic - complete a hard Arc level without using Pulse Cannons, Strafers or Snipers
Cats and Dogs - let it rain! (use AC rain)
Lord of Asgard -Use 50 Artifacts of Odin
D-Day - Beat Normandy in Space
BFG - Build and fire a PZ Bertha
Rush Assault - Destroy a spore tower before it finishes building
Unlimited Possibilities - Name a DMD map
Uninhibited - Nullify 100 inhibitors
Shield's Up! - Block a spore with a shield
Graduate - Completed tutorial missions
tormented - Unlocked Tormented Space
Prospector - Unlocked Prospector Zone
Colonial - Unlocked Colonial Space
Arc Bester - Completed Arc Eternal
Unlocked x, y, z number of sectors in Tormented and Prospector respectively
played x, y, z missions in Alpha sector
Critic - Rated a map in Colonial Space
Played maps by x, y, z different authors in Colonial Space
Posted a map in DMD zone
Played a map by someone else in DMD
speed monkey = complete 10 maps in less than 5 mins
speed daemon = complete 50 maps in less than 5 mins
the flash! = complete 100 maps in less than 5 mins (ea's achievement perhaps?)
combined arms master = use at least one of each weapon type (including thor? dunno perhaps not) in x maps
(the following doesn't include the use of nullifiers)
close combat = use only blasters in x maps
mortar master = use only mortars in x maps
AC attacker = use only AC weapons in x maps
air supremacist = use only air units (not including thor) in x maps
sniper king = use only snipers in x maps
Now You're The Idiot - build and power a nullifier through a network covered in shields
Secrets - Find all hidden area's in the credits mission
Speedrun - Complete any Arc Eternal mission within 1:05
Color blind - Change the creeper colors
I know all units - Complete the #UnitSeries in Colonial Space (#11-#28)
The graphics guy - Complete two CS maps made by MadMag with custom graphics (#4, #40, #57, #64, #121, #123, #128, #174, #182, #198 or #209 (remove maps without custom graphics))
Micro-management - Complete any 20x20 CS map made by ThirdParty (#50, #88 or #173)
I can beat CRPL! - Complete any CS map made by Clean0nion with CRPL (#30, #60, #72 or #232)
Player-made - Complete a Pass the Map (doesn't matter which one)
Can't touch this - Complete a map without creeper damaging any unit
Discovering Anti-Creeper Rain (use AC rain)
[close]
    That's a lot of achievements!

Clean0nion

Crimson King

I have a problem with any achievement that requires a player to beat a map in a very short time frame. Not everybody can or is willing to try to beat a map in less than 1 minute. If such an achievement were added, you would see at least one map made where any player could easily beat it in under 1 minute.

The achievements should be obtainable by (almost) anybody who plays or you only encourage people to use hacks to get the "unobtainable" achievements.

Grayzzur

Quote from: Crimson King on February 23, 2014, 07:14:34 PM
I have a problem with any achievement that requires a player to beat a map in a very short time frame. Not everybody can or is willing to try to beat a map in less than 1 minute. If such an achievement were added, you would see at least one map made where any player could easily beat it in under 1 minute.

The achievements should be obtainable by (almost) anybody who plays or you only encourage people to use hacks to get the "unobtainable" achievements.
Not every achievement needs to be "easy" to the entire community. Obtainable yes, but not easy. There are a lot of games out there with difficulty levels and achievements that can only be obtained on the "hard" levels -- I can't get some of those. XCOM has an achievement for winning an Ironman game on Classic difficulty. A friend of my has about 90 failed attempts at that, and I'm not even up for an Ironman shot at easier difficulty levels. Creeper World doesn't have a difficulty level setting, and time is the primary means of achieving a better score on a map -- so yes, there should be some time related achievements for this game. Some of them should be fairly easy, and some of them should be challenging.

That said, there are already some maps in Colonial Space where you only have to build a nullifier to win. It is possible to drop a command node and build 2 collectors and a nullifer and discharge the nullifer in under a minute. I'll concede that it may provide a catalyst for a bunch of cruddy 1-minute maps to be posted to colonial space, and the game as a whole -- with that consideration -- may be better served with a 2 or 3 minute achievement instead, or none at all along this line.

Of course, that's all my personal opinion, as the quote above is your opinion. In the end, I'm sure Virgil will consider many things in deciding what should or should not be an achievement.

I hope some of them are difficult to achieve.
"Fate. It protects fools, little children, and ships named 'Enterprise.'" -William T. Riker

thejoe66

Of course there has to be achievements that are hard i mean not many people fell like they completed an achievement if there was no challenge but the achievements should be things people can work towards not go on YouTube for some tutorial on how to get it
"Humanity is probably the only animal capable of hating itself."-The end of Evangelion

Crimson King

Grayzzur, I wholly agree that achievements don't need to be "easy" to get and that some should be (or will be) difficult to get depending on the player's skills.

We just don't need or want a bunch of ridiculous achievements that encourage cheap maps or players to hack the achievements.

Clean0nion

Having said that, limiting access to Colonial Space Submission will block a good deal of bad maps submitted. To my understanding, the players must have completed Abitus:Starsync in order to post a map. In my opinion that is far too low - the player doesn't even know what some/most of the units are. Instead, I think the barrier should be raised to either "Is Andere:Farbor completed?" or "Are Apex:Meso, Cliff:Krig and Frykt:Vapen completed?"

Relli

Quote from: Crimson King on February 23, 2014, 11:52:23 PM
Grayzzur, I wholly agree that achievements don't need to be "easy" to get and that some should be (or will be) difficult to get depending on the player's skills.

We just don't need or want a bunch of ridiculous achievements that encourage cheap maps or players to hack the achievements.
We should definitely avoid achievements involving Colonial Space either mostly or entirely. Even something like "clear 10 Colonial Space maps" might encourage people to make effortless maps just to get it faster. And things like "Complete CS mission #52" (I've no idea what 52 is, ftr) could annoy people who don't much care for that particular map. I think there are plenty possibilities for achievements that don't involve Colonial Space, so it shouldn't be too big a loss to sidestep it.
Though it goes without saying that the final decision belongs to Virgil.

stewbasic

Quote from: Relli on February 24, 2014, 01:53:07 PM
We should definitely avoid achievements involving Colonial Space either mostly or entirely.
+1. Even ignoring the potential for spammy CS uploads, an achievement designed for a generic map might be nonsensical for a nonstandard CS map (eg "Win without any unit taking damage" should be restricted to standard maps). Something like "Complete 1 CS map" could be OK to encourage people to try it out (it shouldn't be hard to find at least one easy map in CS).

Grayzzur

Along that line, if you want to encourage people to at least peek at Colonial Space, but not encourage creation of cruddy maps to get the achievement... make it an achievement to Download one Colonial Space map.