Achievements for Creeper World 3

Started by Grayzzur, November 14, 2013, 11:35:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Grayzzur

Hey, if the game gets green-lit, what would a steam game be without achievements? Let's come up with some suggestions for Virgil.

It's not easy being green - completed a storyline mission with 95% soylent coverage.
Air Superiority - completed a storyline mission with at least 40 Strafers and Bombers in the air.
Technical Superiority - completed a storyline mission with all upgrades maxed (unlimited upgrades at 10+).
I've got the power! - completed a storyline mission with at least 30 reactors.
All the time in the world - take longer than 2 hours to complete any mission.
Out of time - complete any mission in less than 1 minute.
Spoiler
Split Personality - Complete the final mission with both endings
[close]
"Fate. It protects fools, little children, and ships named 'Enterprise.'" -William T. Riker

J

Why not add simpler achievements instead? Most of yours can be won just by waiting a bit longer before actually finishing a map.

Who made this game? - Beat credits mission
A time limit! - Beat Farbor
Story freak - Complete all story missions
Can stop ya - Win Arca before that thing is built
Alpha fan - Win 15 alpha sector missions
Alpha freak - Beat all alpha missions
Never ending fun - Win 500 missions
Prospector freak - Complete all propector maps
Tormented freak - Beat all tormented space missions
Inhibitor killer - Nullify 50 inhibitors
Emitter/runner/runner nest/spore tower/AET killer - Kill/nullify x ...

Grauniad

Quote from: Grayzzur on November 14, 2013, 11:35:36 AM

Spoiler
Split Personality - Complete the final mission with both endings
[close]

Spoiler
Technically, there are 3 endings.   

Note: It has been pointed out to me that, including failure, there are actually 4 possible endings on Arca. I did not count failure as one of the possible outcomes, but it is an outcome.
[close]
A goodnight to all and to all a good night - Goodnight Moon

Clean0nion

Pacifist - beat a hard Arc level without killing any creeper
Saboteur - beat Farbor before the ship launches
Author - submit a successful map to Colonial Space
Mass Production - submit 20 successful maps to Colonial Space
Hacker - submit a successful map to Colonial Space containing custom CRPL
Final Destinationer - convince Virgil to add a secret ending
Final Destination - complete the secret ending
Silent - complete a hard Arc level without using any Soylent
Antimaster - complete a hard Arc level without using Pulse Cannons, Mortars or Strafers
Pyrotechnic - complete a hard Arc level without using Pulse Cannons, Strafers or Snipers
Cats and Dogs - let it rain!

By hard arc level I mean anything above Egos

pawel345

Lord of Asgard -Use 50 Artifacts of Odin
D-Day - Beat Normandy in Space :P
BFG - Build and fire a PZ Bertha
Rush Assault - Destroy a spore tower before it builds
Unlimited Possibilities - Name a DMD map

Grayzzur

Quote from: J on November 14, 2013, 11:51:28 AM
Inhibitor killer - Nullify 50 inhibitors
Uninhibited - Nullify 100 inhibitors
Shield's Up! - Block a spore with a shield

Time for more suggestions, the greenlight is a go!
"Fate. It protects fools, little children, and ships named 'Enterprise.'" -William T. Riker

Grauniad

Completed tutorial missions
Unlocked Tormented Space
Unlocked Prospector Zone
Unlocked Colonial Space
Completed Arc Eternal

Unlocked x, y, z number of sectors in Tormented and Prospector respectively
played x, y, z missions in Alpha sector
Rated a map in Colonial Space
Played maps by x, y, z different authors in Colonial Space
Posted a map in DMD zone
Played a map by someone else in DMD
A goodnight to all and to all a good night - Goodnight Moon

teknotiss

speed monkey = complete 10 maps in less than 5 mins
speed daemon = complete 50 maps in less than 5 mins
the flash! = complete 100 maps in less than 5 mins (ea's achievement perhaps?)

combined arms master = use at least one of each weapon type (including thor? dunno perhaps not) in x maps

(the following doesn't include the use of nullifiers)
close combat = use only blasters in x maps

mortar master = use only mortars in x maps

AC attacker = use only AC weapons in x maps

air supremacist = use only air units (not including thor) in x maps

sniper king = use only snipers in x maps

hmm more ideas later i think  :)
"Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent.... Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent.... Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil?.... Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God?" --- Epicurus

Clean0nion

Quote from: asmussen on February 20, 2014, 01:03:16 AM
If you add any steam achievements, I nominate "I dropped a line of shields with a nullifier at the end!" to be the name of one of them. :)
Now You're The Idiot - build and power a nullifier through a network covered in shields

J

Secrets - Find all hidden area's in the credits mission
Speedrun - Complete any Arc Eternal mission within 1:05
Color blind - Change creeper colors
I know all units - Complete the #UnitSeries in Colonial Space (#11-#28)
The graphics guy - Complete two CS maps made by MadMag with custom graphics (#4, #40, #57, #64, #121, #123, #128, #174, #182, #198 or #209 (remove maps without custom graphics))
Micro-management - Complete any 20x20 CS map made by ThirdParty (#50, #88 or #173)
I can beat CRPL! - Complete any CS map made by Clean0nion with CRPL (#30, #60, #72 or #232)

Grayzzur

Quote from: J on February 20, 2014, 02:12:13 PM
I can beat CRPL! - Complete any CS map made by Clean0nion with CRPL (#30, #60, #72 or #232)
That one should be called "I beat Domorthea and all I got was this lousy achievement." :)

Clean0nion

Quote from: Grayzzur on February 20, 2014, 06:43:55 PM
Quote from: J on February 20, 2014, 02:12:13 PM
That one should be called "I beat Domorthea and all I got was this lousy achievement." :)
YES. YES PLEASE. VIRGIL, THIS, PLEASE.

Asbestos

Player-made - Complete a Pass the Map (doesn't matter which one)
Can't touch this - Complete a map without creeper damaging any unit

thejoe66

I just want to say let's not do colonial space achievments that involve posting missions that could lead to a ton a spam maps from people that are just hunting achievements
"Humanity is probably the only animal capable of hating itself."-The end of Evangelion

knucracker

I need to strike a balance between the number of achievements, the 'difficulty' of achievements, the time it takes to create the achievements, etc.  As with all things in a game it is a balancing act.  Achievements serve several purposes on steam.  They of course enhance the game play by giving people goals, by giving players something to compete with each other over, etc. 

Beyond that they also serve as a form of viral advertisement within the steam ecosystem.  Because the steam ecosystem is so incredibly large there are large friend networks.  Game publishers want the friends of players of their game to also buy the game.  Achievements are a way players advertise a game to their friends.  And it works both ways actually... this is obviously good for publishers but it can also be good for players looking for something to play.

So, that said I will need some obvious and easy achievements.  I think that handing out an achievement for the completion of each story mission is a good start on this.  There would be 23 of those.  Next, there are 3 endings to Farbor (two ways to win and one way to lose) and 3 endings to Arca (two paths and one way to lose).  So there are a few more achievements there.  And it makes sense to throw in a few achievement for prospector, tormented, and alpha sectors. 

Beyond this base of achievements things get more interesting.  There should be achievements based on some things that happen in a single mission.  Say that you complete a mission totally clean (no damage, no loss), you destroy more than 10 emitters, you lose more than 50 units, things like that.  Things that happen within a single mission and require no memory of any previous play... there should be 10+ of these achievements I think.

Lastly, there should be some achievements that accrue over time.  These require stats across missions. 100 Mission Victories, 1000 Mission Victories, 5000 runners killed, etc.

So as you think about achievements think roughly within this framework; things that happen within a mission and things that require knowledge across missions.  For things that require knowledge across missions think carefully about what information might be required.  If it is too difficult to calculate, store, ore determine... that's an achievement I will likely not do.

Last note... if I come up with enough non mission-completion achievements I may not create an achievement for each story mission completion.  Instead I might cherry pick a few along the way, or make one for each star system.