Benefits of the 64 bits version?

Started by bgzzz, October 04, 2013, 02:54:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bgzzz

Hello,

Glad to see the release of the waited game :)

I bought just the game, downloading the 64 bits version, but I'm wondering what is the benefit of the X64 bits version...

Can you enlighten me?

thx

Grauniad

The 64-bit version is approximately 5% faster than the 32 bit version, but then, the 64-bit version can only run on 64-bit Windows, whereas the 32-bit version can run on both 64- and 32- bit operating systems.

Additionally, there is a slight change that you may have an error running the 64-bit version due to some weird pre-requisites.

Right now the Mac 64-bit version is not even available due to some issues.
A goodnight to all and to all a good night - Goodnight Moon

bgzzz

Quote from: Grauniad on October 04, 2013, 03:48:13 PM
The 64-bit version is approximately 5% faster than the 32 bit version, but then, the 64-bit version can only run on 64-bit Windows, whereas the 32-bit version can run on both 64- and 32- bit operating systems.

Additionally, there is a slight change that you may have an error running the 64-bit version due to some weird pre-requisites.

Right now the Mac 64-bit version is not even available due to some issues.

thx :)

I was wondering if the game would require more than 2 gb of ram to run ;)

Grauniad

Quote from: bgzzz on October 04, 2013, 03:53:27 PM
I was wondering if the game would require more than 2 gb of ram to run ;)

Nope. The only thing is that the 64-bit version does garbage collection less freuently since it can use more storage and hence the slight performance increase.

miquelfire

Watch, some custom map will come out that does so much, you need a few GBs to play it, to the point that you need the 64-bit version to play. I seen custom maps on CW2 peg multiple cores to max usage.

Grauniad

Quote from: miquelfire on October 04, 2013, 05:10:33 PM
Watch, some custom map will come out that does so much, you need a few GBs to play it, to the point that you need the 64-bit version to play. I seen custom maps on CW2 peg multiple cores to max usage.

Not possible.