A few ideas about a "multiplayer" mode

Started by pawel345, September 06, 2013, 02:45:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pawel345

My idea is basically that while an in game multiplayer will not happen, it is possible to make a sort of chess like multiplayer where one plays as the humans and the other player is creeper. First the players would need to decide on a terrain for the map they will play. Then the creeper player would add some creeper structures, but he will be limited by some sort of currency (decided beforehand not programmed, the idea bases on both players playing fair). The amount of creeper points can be raised by for example adding an ore deposit to the map and so on. The creeper player can also limit some of the human player techs however that cost a lot. Then he sends the map to the human player who can play it for 5 min. He saves and send the map back to the creeper player who can modify the map, add some emitters and so on, with some additional rules like an emitter can only be placed on already existing creeper. The creeper player can also earn more points to use for like 0.01 point per creeper covered square(collector like fashion) and points for structures destroyed(a CPRL core to monitor and count them). And after that the human player gets another 5 mins of the game. Failing in sending the save on time would count as forfeit.

What do you guys think?

thepenguin

We have become the creeper...

Kingo

BGMFH

Id prefer something like the old Tetris MP mode.

Every time you kill X amount of creeper, spawns X amount on the other players copy of the same map.

Taking out an emitter etc makes the other side spawn a big chunk of creeper.

Should see-saw interestingly.

JF-T

Some really cool ideas. would like to see them all if possible with atleast jsut crpl.

I honestly think that (I've said this before, bu i tihkn it'd be pretty cool) you could have up to 3 player co-op, with the ability to have 3 different command nodes at once.
It would work a bit like 3-player cw1, each command node would be unable to connect to any other player's command node, as such networks would not share connections (possibly having guppies as an exception?).
Each player's networks would be specifically color-coded or have some kind of distinction between eachother's (Probly not possible, i dunno but have differently colored units, red, blue and green or something). Collection fields would be colored differently to differentiate (or jsut the connection paths would be say... yellow or pink instead of white).
There wouldn't be any capacity to damage another palyer's units.
Depends on how versatile CRPL REALLY is, we'll not know for absolute sure until the community can get their hands on the game.

But i think the above post could be thinking about a sort of siamese creeper world (like a game of siamese chess, killing a piece gives it to his buddy, but there's 4 people). But i like the tetris/siamese chess idea. I'd even help with that.

Had to contribute to the post with my own idea. Couldnt resist any longer.
Can't do ANY MapMod stuff due to losing my copy of CW1/2. Also known as Commander-Strife, IIIStrife, and StormyFacade.

CW2 Custom Maps

Neko187

Quote from: JF-T on September 09, 2013, 01:30:21 AM
(like a game of siamese chess, killing a piece gives it to his buddy, but there's 4 people).
I've played with up to 10 before. [two on outside pass in, next outermost pass out and to the center, center passes out... BEHOLD THE GLORY OF 40 PAWNS!!!]
It's pretty crazy.
Also, there are multi-way sets available :)
They get a bit confusing though at the corners...
Everything is too long a list to work with.
No one knows everything about anything.
No one knows something about everything.
Everyone knows something about something.
Anyone could be the world's foremost expert on something.
Anyone who thinks that just because they didn't already know a thing, it must not be true or important, is an idiot.
-OSC

pawel345

The thing is that a real time network connection between two players probably will not happen, I was thinking what sort of multiplayer could be introduced without any additional features in the game.

Martoon

Quote from: BGMFH on September 08, 2013, 11:21:16 PM

Every time you kill X amount of creeper, spawns X amount on the other players copy of the same map.

I like this idea.  And there are a lot of interesting potential variations.

Can CRPL send and receive messages to and from an external process?  If so, it actually wouldn't be too difficult to make a network client for something like this (since you wouldn't be attempting to keep actual game states in sync; just sending data back and forth that would affect the state separately on each machine).  It wouldn't be cheat-proof by any means, but for games between trusted friends, it could be fun.

Kingo

Well, if networking was introduced into the game, then it could possibly allow for the constantly-suggested idea, "Dual player on the network/dual players on a map).
Combining networking and CPRL... I think that would be the only way to improve CPRL more then it is now...

JF-T

Though I do think Pawel's idea is pretty great. Sadly though I wouldn't really ever go for it. I like the idea of a player behind the Creeper's controls, but I also don't really like it.
Just a personal opinion, i shall leave now ;D
Can't do ANY MapMod stuff due to losing my copy of CW1/2. Also known as Commander-Strife, IIIStrife, and StormyFacade.

CW2 Custom Maps

mrsnipey

Co-op would be awesome.
Then the levels could be harder to make up for the extra player(s).
My brother and I were talking about it the other day totally independently of this thread.
Come on Big-V.
CW3.1 - Multi-player Patch of awesomeness.

inspiratieloos

Co-op would be harder, not easier.

As a single player you can just pause to oversee your situation and give orders on different fronts. In co-op you would always lose efficiency due to having to work together, if everyone has their own network you'll be in each other's way and if on the same network you will get conflicting orders.

On the other hand yelling at your friends when they screw up/save the day is it's own kind of fun.

The Creep Destroyer

Quote from: BGMFH on September 08, 2013, 11:21:16 PM

Something along these lines seems like an interesting mode.

Basicly have multiplayer be like a Touhou Versus Game.

Player A can pick a Creeper World Character, like [OPS] From CW 1, and gets a special upgrade. (10% Cheaper buildings due to OPS logistics skills)
Player B can pick a Creeper World Character, like [LOKI] From CW 1/2, and gets a special upgrade. (10% More Creeper sent to the enemy)

They each get the same map, and more emtters spawn in this emitter zone, each time stronger than before. If they kill an emitter it is sent over to the other guys spawning zone. Killed Airunits and Creeper will also respawn in the emitters zone.

It continues until one of them loses their command center.
Starcraft 2... where the creeper dies to nukes.
I use lightmage to record my scores.