Artifact question

Started by Kingo, May 10, 2013, 06:48:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ronini

To throw in another option: They have never come into contact with creeper, by virtue of being sent to uninhabited worlds by the civilization who constructed them. Or rather worlds that had been overrun by creeper a long time before, so that all creeper has dissolved already. (All worlds in CW1 were like this) The constructing civilization(-s) sent them into space, because they knew they wouldn't be able to save themselves, but did everything to maybe save others. Definitely smells of Platius.

Kingo

Maybe it is sort of like nanotech upgrades in CW1?

theogeer

Unrelated, but this thread made me think of it:

Since an emitter is translocating creeper from a seemingly inexhaustible source in another universe, some brilliant scientist should get on making a way to force an emitter to reverse itself to take a conversion bomb back to the source of said creeper. Just imagine the creeper density on the other side! You could send a conversion bomb through and all of a sudden the emitter becomes an anti-creeper emitter for god-knows how long.

Side note: speaking of anti-creeper emitters, where does the anti-creeper come from? Did someone find a universe with dense anti-creeper the way the Loki pipe it in from their creeper-dense universe?

Michionlion

Quote from: theogeer on May 13, 2013, 01:08:44 AM

Since an emitter is translocating creeper from a seemingly inexhaustible source in another universe, some brilliant scientist should get on making a way to force an emitter to reverse itself to take a conversion bomb back to the source of said creeper. Just imagine the creeper density on the other side! You could send a conversion bomb through and all of a sudden the emitter becomes an anti-creeper emitter for god-knows how long.

Side note: speaking of anti-creeper emitters, where does the anti-creeper come from? Did someone find a universe with dense anti-creeper the way the Loki pipe it in from their creeper-dense universe?

It is engineered from ore, so that is not true... other than that, there isn't a whole lot of information regarding it's origins.
"Remember kids, the only difference between science and messing around is writing it down."
                                                                                                                         - Adam Savage

My website
My CW1, and CW2 maps!

Grauniad

Emitters emitting AC is a direct result of the action you describe above. :)
A goodnight to all and to all a good night - Goodnight Moon

theogeer

Quote from: Grauniad on May 13, 2013, 10:20:58 AM

Emitters emitting AC is a direct result of the action you describe above. :)

Bonus points for me. :D

If that's the case, then either each emitter is tied to some sort of infinite creeper-supply that is segmented from the creeper supplies of other emitters, or eventually the anti-creeper emitter would start spitting out regular creeper again after some period of time. Since I've never observed that I'll assume we're dealing with the first scenario.

The creeper on the other side must exist in an isolated pocket and be near-infinite density. This is interesting, because it means the technology that creates the emitter is agnostic to what is coming through it. The density creates massive pressure so when the emitter flickers open for a moment a huge amount of creeper/anti-creeper comes through, but the emitter itself doesn't actually know anything about what is coming through. It only knows how to create a rift for a brief instant of time and based upon its power level how frequently it can open such rift, and how much matter can be pushed through it before it collapses.

Has anyone talked about/considered the implications of adding matter/energy to our universe? Over millions or billiions of years it seems like the matter/energy transference would have some sort of destabilization effect upon our universe. I suppose if a balancing amount of dark matter came through the rift with the creeper that would maintain some essential balance, but I wonder would the nature of that dark matter would be, and might it come back to bite us on the ass later?

Kingo

Have you heard of "the Big crunch" scenario?
It is a hypothesis where the universe is expanding and increasing its gravity, thus it will reach a point where the universe will crush together.
Maybe dark matter prevents that from happening in the creeper universe...

billybob

Quote from: Kingo on May 14, 2013, 12:28:19 AM
Have you heard of "the Big crunch" scenario?
It is a hypothesis where the universe is expanding and increasing its gravity, thus it will reach a point where the universe will crush together.
Maybe dark matter prevents that from happening in the creeper universe...

As the universe expands gravity is weaker because there is more space between objects. I think. If the universe is expanding at a slower and slower rate then yes it will eventually collapse and we will get he big bang all over again.
Dating is one thing. Being loved is another. Problem is, you can never be sure if you're loved.

Unless it's your Mom...

Anyone wish CW was real?