CW3 map ideas

Started by MizInIA, April 09, 2013, 01:05:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MizInIA

Quote from: 4xC on April 11, 2013, 05:38:40 PM
When multiple guppies are supplying packets at the same time, they distribut them simultaneously. Thus, there would be network down time. To see that, watch the Aether clip on the blog early on when there are 2 guppies supplying packets at the same time.

Whether it was because there were too many units taking energy or too few guppies supplying it does not seem to matter. And they resupply packets from CN's faster than they give them to units, so CN's would be in short supply if there were more guppies.

P.S. Has anyone besides me noticed that the CN does not start with a full amount of energy like Odin City and the Liberation Ship? I saw it when I was watching The Bulk on the blog.

I did rewatch the video. they were supplying packets to what ever was closer. it just happens that at the Forge they were being consumed from both guppies at nearly the same rate. if you watch the 3 ether generators that are connected by relays and powered by a guppy on each end. At 12:01 only the Guppy on the right is supplying packets.  Soon the Left Guppy will land and begin supplying packets to the left 2 Ether generators and the Mortar. The right Guppy will only supply to the right Ether generator.
Where I first noticed the closest supply was in this video sorry I couldn't find it on the blog. At 10:50 the north west outpost has 2 Guppies and only the closest one is supplying packets until it leaves and accidentally disconnects the second. The first returns at 11:55 and starts supplying the network while the second Guppy sits with a partial tank until the first takes off again(12:37).

4xC

Maybe so, but most of the time, the 2 guppies supplying the 3 left Aether-creating totems were there at the same time and they were giving packets away simultaneously. They did supply the closest things in any case, but they did it at the same time, so therein lies the potential for a dormant long-distance network, even if the guppies come back later. That matter is partially solved by the fact that guppies can be sent to their landing destinations at different times.
C,C,C,C

theogeer

I think it would be a really useful mechanic for the guppy if it had an upgrade that cost 5% less than building the original guppy. The upgrade would create a second guppy on the same line that would swap places when 2 criteria are met. 1) The guppy has emptied itself of packets and 2) the paired guppy has filled up on packets.

This is a very realistic system that doesn't change the gameplay (still essentially need to build 2 guppies) but does make the mechanics of managing your network easier.

Cavemaniac

Quote from: theogeer on April 13, 2013, 09:54:59 AM
I think it would be a really useful mechanic for the guppy if it had an upgrade that cost 5% less than building the original guppy. The upgrade would create a second guppy on the same line that would swap places when 2 criteria are met. 1) The guppy has emptied itself of packets and 2) the paired guppy has filled up on packets.

This is a very realistic system that doesn't change the gameplay (still essentially need to build 2 guppies) but does make the mechanics of managing your network easier.

I quite like that idea - obviously you can't have two guppies on the pad at the same time, but how cool would it be to have the empty one circling the pad waiting for it's turn, or the full one orbiting the landing zone waiting for the first guppy to finish unloading!

It'll never happen though - just build a second Guppy...
Be yourself. Everyone else is already taken.

Cavemaniac

The user maps are gonna be awesome.

CW3 has so many more ways of playing than either of it's forerunners so map makers will push the limits, think outside of the box and create maps that force us to play within certain parameters - using tactics and units that we ordinarily wouldn't choose.

The Guppy is a powerful unit and it's usefulness is only just becoming apparent.

It can supply isolated weapons with ammo, build remote structures, help out a beleaguered base and act as a forward base 'supply truck', dramatically shortening supply lines and speeding up builds and ammo resupply.

Again, I see the custom maps as a place to really experiment with the possibilities.
Be yourself. Everyone else is already taken.

4xC

Quote from: Cavemaniac on April 13, 2013, 03:41:00 PM
I quite like that idea - obviously you can't have two guppies on the pad at the same time, but how cool would it be to have the empty one circling the pad waiting for it's turn, or the full one orbiting the landing zone waiting for the first guppy to finish unloading!

It'll never happen though - just build a second Guppy...

Besdes, one of the oldest features about CW3 that ough to easily compensate for this is the map's large size compared to what we had to work with before. There is almost too much room for spare weapons, flight pads, reactors, berthas, etc. So while it is a good meringue to top the lemon pie, it is too sweet.  ;D
C,C,C,C

theogeer

I wasn't thinking of it so much as to replace having a second place for the second guppy. I was thinking of the mechanic of having to time your guppy runs manually to ensure constant supply. If the guppies are on the same schedule and they both feed packets at the same time to the same units (as suggested by the prior posts on this thread) then they will both run out at the same time and both need to come back at the same time, leaving a shortfall in their wake.

With a two-guppie, one-track system you don't have to worry about this, and it is similar to how a person would design a supply system in the real world. Truck comes in and fills up from warehouse then drives to destination. The warehouse isn't tied to just one truck. There is still an advantage for multiple warehouses as truck count increases because you will need to be able to fill multiple trucks simultaneously.

But I agree, not really vital to gameplay. I just think it's a cool mechanic that reduces friction.

4xC

Quote from: theogeer on April 14, 2013, 03:49:14 AM
I wasn't thinking of it so much as to replace having a second place for the second guppy. I was thinking of the mechanic of having to time your guppy runs manually to ensure constant supply. If the guppies are on the same schedule and they both feed packets at the same time to the same units (as suggested by the prior posts on this thread) then they will both run out at the same time and both need to come back at the same time, leaving a shortfall in their wake.

With a two-guppie, one-track system you don't have to worry about this, and it is similar to how a person would design a supply system in the real world. Truck comes in and fills up from warehouse then drives to destination. The warehouse isn't tied to just one truck. There is still an advantage for multiple warehouses as truck count increases because you will need to be able to fill multiple trucks simultaneously.

But I agree, not really vital to gameplay. I just think it's a cool mechanic that reduces friction.

When you put it that way, you make a pretty interesting, exploitable idea for a CRPL script. (Unless it is CPRL, I am now forgetting the acronym order)
C,C,C,C

Michionlion

Quote from: 4xC on April 15, 2013, 08:46:51 AM
Quote from: theogeer on April 14, 2013, 03:49:14 AM

When you put it that way, you make a pretty interesting, exploitable idea for a CRPL script. (Unless it is CPRL, I am now forgetting the acronym order)

Creeper Reverse Polish Language.
"Remember kids, the only difference between science and messing around is writing it down."
                                                                                                                         - Adam Savage

My website
My CW1, and CW2 maps!

MizInIA

Quote from: Cavemaniac on April 13, 2013, 03:48:18 PM

The user maps are gonna be awesome.

CW3 has so many more ways of playing than either of it's forerunners so map makers will push the limits, think outside of the box and create maps that force us to play within certain parameters - using tactics and units that we ordinarily wouldn't choose.

The Guppy is a powerful unit and it's usefulness is only just becoming apparent.

It can supply isolated weapons with ammo, build remote structures, help out a beleaguered base and act as a forward base 'supply truck', dramatically shortening supply lines and speeding up builds and ammo resupply.

Again, I see the custom maps as a place to really experiment with the possibilities.

I agree user maps will have the potential for so many twists. it is really a good thing that the map maker has to be able to beat the map before it can be submitted.

Hunter Seeker

I had been considering a CRPL random map generator, however after this weeks blog I doubt any CRPL could beat what he built for us.  I look forward to competitions from CW3 "code" maps.
Aspire to Inspire

weekendgamer

I'm thinking of recreating Hope, accurate pixel by pixel, does anyone know if there will be walls/crazonium in CW3?
Sorry for the late replies.

TrickyDragon

there has been since dungeon novice...
This is Life,  Life happens.

Chawe800

I have an island map idea that I've already sketched out on paper and I am looking forward to putting it into the game.
"The optimist proclaims that we live in the best of all possible worlds; and the pessimist fears this is true." -James Branch Cabell

4xC

I just now thought, since there are CW1 temporary shield walls, what about those walls that block network connections like levels 3 and 4 on part 2 of CW1 User Space?

If those can be included, I think I will be able to more easily layout this idea I have for a castle fortress map.

That reminds me, assuming it does not exist right now, perhaps the map making software in CW3 should allow editors to prioritize the targeting for Spore Towers seeing as you can obviously edit the Spore payload, launch time intervals, presumably the bloom rate, etc.

That is something I have always wanted to do with Phantoms in the CW2 map editor admittedly.
C,C,C,C