CW3 map ideas

Started by MizInIA, April 09, 2013, 01:05:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MizInIA

Since we seem to be in a quiet time waiting for CW3 to come out I have been thinking about map Ideas and strategies. Granted everything I know about the game I have gathered from watching Virgil's videos. So I may be off some, But.. here goes.
I like slug maps and am not an efficiency player so I think pushing through creeper with Shields and Terps sounds like fun. the shields push back the creeper and then raise the terrain so you can move forward. Maybe even disable the blaster and mortar tech so Strafer have to be used to thin the creeper so it doesn't overflow the raised terrain.

I am interested to hear other map thoughts based on what we know about the game.

TrickyDragon

I like speed, and efficiently using all available resources.  I like using morters and sprayers to push forward quickly, using air assults and artillery to weaken the rear as I press forward.  Rarely do I find myself using shields or turrps.  I mainly use shields to protect my network connections in high risk areas.   I think that CW3 will allow many more varients between turtle and rabbit play styles.  No matter how you play, you will find a way <3
This is Life,  Life happens.

MizInIA

I am also excited to see maps that require the Guppies to be the life line to the CN. So I can see the CN placed in one corner on a Plateau surrounded by emitters. And the attack zone being at the opposite end of the map so you have to work your way back to the CN.

hoodwink

Quote from: MizInIA on April 09, 2013, 02:29:55 PM
I am also excited to see maps that require the Guppies to be the life line to the CN. So I can see the CN placed in one corner on a Plateau surrounded by emitters. And the attack zone being at the opposite end of the map so you have to work your way back to the CN.
Surely you could just move the CN to a safer location, couldn't you? Or can you disable that in the map editor?

I'm probably going to be, shall we say... 'Industrial' in my building. First, build out and spam the area with reactors while holding the line weakly. Then, mass-produce weapons. After that, I'll probably punch a hole in a high ledge or something like V demonstrated on 'the march' and establish forward bases and stuff. After that though... cutting off digi with aircraft and just slogging through with ground infantry and terps sounds good. Will certainly try and build myself a castle on some campaign maps though. :D
Stare not into the abyss, or it has hasten in its approach.
~ Hoodwink (thesmish, smish777 or sigil)

ShadowDragon7015

Personally on CW1 maps i always liked to have a fortress on a hill to the side and have to force my way forward. :)
Hiding the golden creeper for years to come.

4xC

Based on what I have seen, I think I will focus on economical boosting fr most of the time, and strive for the regular use of heavy ordnance later on just because I have alway been a player who likes any kind of heavy ordnance. I imagine I will spend a while flattening the rough ground where collectors and reactors will go. I prefer the fortress style as well.
C,C,C,C

MizInIA

Quote from: hoodwink on April 09, 2013, 04:41:59 PM

Surely you could just move the CN to a safer location, couldn't you?

well from what I have seen you could if there was a level place large enough. but I guess I was thinking of only having the one place large enough to land and build a guppy or 2 to head off to the far side where creeper wasn't covering so you could build the resources you would need to attack the creeper.

billybob

Quote from: MizInIA on April 10, 2013, 07:01:23 PM

well from what I have seen you could if there was a level place large enough. but I guess I was thinking of only having the one place large enough to land and build a guppy or 2 to head off to the far side where creeper wasn't covering so you could build the resources you would need to attack the creeper.

Well you could but when the CN is flying it can't supply packets, and it moves slowly. Your defences would have to survive alone. Although, you might be able to build a bank of energy with Guppies.
Dating is one thing. Being loved is another. Problem is, you can never be sure if you're loved.

Unless it's your Mom...

Anyone wish CW was real?

4xC

Quote from: billybob on April 10, 2013, 08:04:59 PM

Well you could but when the CN is flying it can't supply packets, and it moves slowly. Your defences would have to survive alone. Although, you might be able to build a bank of energy with Guppies.

Who told you that CN's cannot give packets on the move? Odin City and the Liberation ship have always ben able to supply packets on the move, so if that has since changed, then I am surprised.
C,C,C,C

Michionlion

This has NEVER been in any blog post, or anything on the forums.  This is not how it works currently either.  In fact, unlike Odin City, CN's produce energy when they are flying, because they have a reactor, not a collector built in.  They are also able to send out packets while in the air, so you have been very much misinformed.
"Remember kids, the only difference between science and messing around is writing it down."
                                                                                                                         - Adam Savage

My website
My CW1, and CW2 maps!

MizInIA

Quote from: Michionlion on April 11, 2013, 11:33:48 AM

This has NEVER been in any blog post, or anything on the forums.  This is not how it works currently either.  In fact, unlike Odin City, CN's produce energy when they are flying, because they have a reactor, not a collector built in.  They are also able to send out packets while in the air, so you have been very much misinformed.

we can see that it does supply packets in the last video. Virgil does a celebratory fly over while taking out the warp inhibitor on the second planet. http://knucklecracker.com/blog/index.php/2013/03/the-bulk/ jump to 19:06 to see the packets coming from the CN while it is flying.

mpete

did he mean that it can't dispatch packets if its not connected to the network? if so, he is correct
sorry for any misspellings.
signed,mpete

MizInIA

Quote from: mpete on April 11, 2013, 04:35:23 PM
did he mean that it can't dispatch packets if its not connected to the network? if so, he is correct

you know that would make more sense. so for the scenario we were talking about he would be correct. if you were moving the CN from one area of the map to another across a field of creeper you would have a time where it is disconnected but hopefully not much more than it would take a Guppy to make a round trip to resupply(assuming you only had 1 Guppy supplying the outpost/main network.)if you were using multiple guppies so there was always one with packets to offload I do not think you would end up seeing any network down time.

that makes me think of a scenario for the Guppy. We have seen that when 2 or more guppies are supplying an outpost the payload is consumed from the closest Guppy. So... the closest one Guppie is drained and starts the trip back to the CN meanwhile the second is being used. The first returns with a full tank and is drained again and again heads to the CN for a fill up. the second is being used.  the first returns and is again drained. the second at this point does not have enough to last the whole time the first is gone so it takes off.  so here is the question. How many Guppies will it take to supply x blasters at y distance from the CN so that the blasters never run out of ammo? the blasters have an internal supply and so far we have seen 2 be sufficient even to supply power to 2 blasters and the Forge to process Ether but a longer distance may require a 3rd Guppy to keep packets. but even with that there is the chance that it will get slowly used and may end up at the point where all 3 run out of packets at almost the same time putting them all in transit.

4xC

When multiple guppies are supplying packets at the same time, they distribut them simultaneously. Thus, there would be network down time. To see that, watch the Aether clip on the blog early on when there are 2 guppies supplying packets at the same time.

Whether it was because there were too many units taking energy or too few guppies supplying it does not seem to matter. And they resupply packets from CN's faster than they give them to units, so CN's would be in short supply if there were more guppies.

P.S. Has anyone besides me noticed that the CN does not start with a full amount of energy like Odin City and the Liberation Ship? I saw it when I was watching The Bulk on the blog.
C,C,C,C

TrickyDragon

Quote from: 4xC on April 11, 2013, 05:38:40 PM
P.S. Has anyone besides me noticed that the CN does not start with a full amount of energy like Odin City and the Liberation Ship? I saw it when I was watching The Bulk on the blog.
yes, it is an interesting change from the others of the series, but i am sure it takes a great deal of energy to land safely from orbit without a parachute....
This is Life,  Life happens.