Creeper Colours for colour blindness

Started by Grun, March 14, 2013, 08:24:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Grun

Loving the work done so far but 1 big problem I got :(

Well it might be me (probably is) but the creeper and anti creeper are the same colour. The creen glow from collectors is the same as the green grass which is used in most maps and im like WTF. If you not guessed already im colour blind.

Could there be an option to set colour of these things or could there be a change to make the colours more distinctive.

Thanks Grun

mpete

that would be nice, maybe just change the default color to not mess up custom maps.
sorry for any misspellings.
signed,mpete

lurkily

For a colorblind mode, you'd want to change all colors, and override custom changes, otherwise colorblind players won't be able to play many custom maps with custom colors.

I'd rather anybody be able to play a map while losing some ambiance, then have a colorblind mode that's only sometimes useful to the colorblind.

Grun

For the most part the textures arn'r so much a problem, but something like being able to tell the diffrence between creeper and AC is quite important. The green collector glow is lesss of a problem as you can tell roughly what covered by the collector position. As for custom maps, well that up to the creator of the map I guess.

Grun

lurkily

What I'm suggesting is a 'colorblind mode' that changes colors and textures specifically to suit colorblind players, and overrides other considerations.

That would permit V to keep the decisions he's made for the current game, which seems to be best for most players, as well as provide a mode that would make any map playable to the color blind . . .

One note - I would resubject your first post.  Right now the subject line sounds whimsical - a lot of people on the blog have wanted to change the creeper colors for aesthetic reasons.  You should probably work color blindness into the subject heading so that it's clear this isn't a frivolous thread.

hoodwink

Basically what we want is a high-contrast setting for all similar graphics, yes?
That does seem a good idea, and I know a lot of people have been asking on the blog.
This could be a simple menu option (active or not), which would override ALL creeper, collection field, etc., colours, so that you (colour-blind people) can still see on custom maps. After all, custom maps are a large part of the game's playing time.
Stare not into the abyss, or it has hasten in its approach.
~ Hoodwink (thesmish, smish777 or sigil)

lurkily

Contrast alone can be misleading . . . two hues can have high contrast, (red and blue) and still seem identical to someone with total color blindness. (Monochromacy.) Most high-contrast schemes should help people with partial colorblindness, such as red-green or blue-yellow colorblindness, but those fully colorblind will not be able to make a distinction by hue variation at all.

Instead, you'd have to rely on the greyscale brightness of a hue alone to differentiate two different gameplay elements, at least for those with 'true' colorblindness. 

This image shows an approximation of what a colorblind person sees - left is normal vision, the next two to the right are two types of red-green colorblindness, the next to last is blue-yellow, and the last is full colorblindness.

miquelfire

Had I not known the purpose of that image, I would have wondered why the first three looked the same to me.