Emitters, Variable Output vs. Static Output

Started by 1158511, January 10, 2013, 12:21:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Thanks to feedback and further thought on the matter, I have refined my idea

In my limited experience with CW I have encountered creeper emitters that only produce a fixed amount of creeper. My strategy is the same for every map, because every emitter does the exact same thing. I eventually reach a point where my destructive capability is higher than creeper production, The creeper has effectively been stalemated and at that point I just have to slowly inch forward gaining more and more destructive power, when I know I have already won, when my destructive power exceeded or matched the creeper production.

My idea was the Emitters which currently only have static amount of creeper productions could be change into variable amount production. For example the emitter could produce an insane amount of creeper for 30 seconds, and then produce relatively little for the next 4 minutes. The player would have to time his assault on the emitter and nullify it before the 4 minutes were over, before the insane amount destroys, or forces, the player to pull back his forces. The emitters could be exponentially growing, such as (base amount^time interval). This would require the player to rush the map and destroy it. Possible even enforce a time limit, if the map isn't completely by 4 minutes, its about to become a lot more difficult. Perhaps the Emitters could suddenly stop emitting all together, and then create increasingly more powerful waves. The emitters could linearly increase production giving my something to use my "overwhelming force" upon during the late game. Thousands of powerful ideas could be implemented, with no extra coding from the developer. Giving the game a fresh new feel, and more difficulty. My original idea was simple linear growth however I think that this idea encompasses so much more.

Thoughts?
Should CW 3 include emitters that variable output, Does it?

lurkily

The programmable towers could emit creeper by any pattern you dang well tell them to.

4xC

I would agree that the creeper side should put more of an effort later into each level as the level itself progresses. knowing the whole threat beforehand makes it rather boring in the mid and end-game.
C,C,C,C

hoodwink

Didn't the 'SURVIVAL!!!' mode in evermore cause the emitters to continually increase their output?
In which case, it was implemented long ago and should easily be available.
But yeah, it's even easier to do with CRPL towers now.
Stare not into the abyss, or it has hasten in its approach.
~ Hoodwink (thesmish, smish777 or sigil)

Kithros

Quote from: hoodwink on January 10, 2013, 10:51:22 AM
Didn't the 'SURVIVAL!!!' mode in evermore cause the emitters to continually increase their output?
In which case, it was implemented long ago and should easily be available.
But yeah, it's even easier to do with CRPL towers now.

While it was in the survival mode - it was not available in the editor (neither CW1 nor CW2). You could simulate it however by stacking emitters with different starting delays on the same space (but that would require you to add an emitter for every time you wanted it to increase in intensity). Note that the CW: Evermore (and the survival mode in it) was created long after the last update to the editor.

Grauniad

Quote from: 1158511 on January 10, 2013, 12:21:47 AM
In my limited experience with CW I have encountered creeper emitters that only produce a fixed amount of creeper. I feel that Emitter increased Output if they aren't already implemented would add significant strategy to the game, and allowing the creeper to remain competitive through late-game. I am sure this is simple to add to the custom games via the fancy new scripting language, however I must request its presence.

Why? I find that as I play a level I reach a critical point when my economy allows me to destroy more creeper than is created. After that point I feel it is a terrible "grind" and the creeper inevitable loses only after inching across the map with my "blasters" and other forces. However if the Creeper had a slowly increasing amount of creeper emitted, such as Base Amount+Growth*Time Unit= Emitter Output, strategies would emerge. If the creeper has a high enough growth rate, it may only be possible to defeat the emitter with a insane rush at the three minute mark. If my forces were not able to reach the emitter in time, they will be slowly pushed back by ever increasing amounts of creeper. However I could "turtle" and hopefully increase my economy and thus my creeper destruction power faster than the Emitter Growth Rate.

Thoughts? Should CW 3 include emitters that increase output, Does it?

How is your idea of ever-more increasing creeper NOT an even more "terrible grind" than the alternative?
A goodnight to all and to all a good night - Goodnight Moon

4xC

I half second that question. Having higher amounts of creeper on the same map later on as you play it would be an almost vital trademark of its reputation to expand and give little-no chance to its enemies to fight back.

The other half: you could just amplify the spore intervals and/or payloads; you could have more/bigger/faster runners; AET fields could change shape and/or move like CW2 fields.
C,C,C,C

Thank you for so many quick responses.
So I am correct that Emitters in both CW1 and CW2 only used static output, and that variable output besides linear growth exhibited in Evermore has not been implemented?

@ grauniad;

I find that the Mid-Game and Late Game sometimes become tedious, because I have more creeper destructive power, than the emitter can produce. I know that as I expand, pushing the creeper back, I will only gain more destructive power. The creeper has no chance (barring some grievous error). However, if the Emitter started emitting linearly increasing creeper I would then be under pressure to expand and secure more "energy?." Another possible scenario in my mind, is that the Emitter would emit an insane amount of creeper for thirty seconds and then produce relatively little for 4 minutes. So the player would have to time his final assault to cap the emitter before the 4 minutes were over or risk his entire front line being obliterated from a tidal wave of creeper, that would be intense. If the creeper has an exponential growth rate... shudder, A insane rush would have to be made before the player was destroyed. It would be feasible, unlike missions with high static output where rushing is impossible. I think that if the Emitters behavior if disclosed before hand could create thousands of fresh scenarios for late game. However I do not want this discussion to be simply linear growth in the nature, It could pulse, exponentially grow, perhaps even remove creeper. I do wish I was in Beta so that I could test this out, or at least see how powerful the scripting language is available. I have no factual evidence or custom maps to show as evidence, only my conjectures. Thoughts?  

@ hoodwink

You are most correct that survival does offer Increasing Output Emitters. However I imagine more complex emitter behavior than simply linear growth. Especially in a winnable scenario.

@ lurkily;

Excellent News indeed, I have discovered a thread pertaining toward this CRPL and its limitations and any further information would be appreciated.

lurkily

I'm not releasing anything that hasn't been known before.  The video demonstration uses the command setcreeper.  You can use this to emit at any level you like.  Simply use the script to vary that value - or use logic to change the value according to circumstances - and you should be able to change creeper output in close to any way you could possibly want.