Anti-Creeper could heal towers

Started by MapMaster, January 01, 2013, 07:19:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MapMaster

I was watching the Dungion video on the Blog, and I thought of something. Maybe AC could heal Walls and Towers. What do you think?

hoodwink

I see where you're coming from, since anti-creeper does the opposite of creeper - which damages everything. And it's on your side, so it should help to splatter it everywhere.
However, towers heal on their own (so if the AC near it is equal to the creeper near it, it would heal) anyway, and personally once you're beating the creeper back past walls they actually get in the way...
Maybe, but I'm not sure myself. Interesting idea. :D
Stare not into the abyss, or it has hasten in its approach.
~ Hoodwink (thesmish, smish777 or sigil)

Grauniad

It's actually a very interesting idea - if we had shields like in CW2. Then a shield with Creeper on one side and AC on the other could potentially be in equilibrium.....
A goodnight to all and to all a good night - Goodnight Moon

hoodwink

So therefore by having the walls; with anti-creeper and creeper on each side, you could make an invincible defence, since they would not take damage. Coupled with the possibility of making them with terraformers, you've got yourself a fairly easy ultimate defense. Hmm.
How about: Yes for units/towers, but no for walls?
Stare not into the abyss, or it has hasten in its approach.
~ Hoodwink (thesmish, smish777 or sigil)

Grauniad

I'm only saying it's interesting. Of course, for it to happen a number of things need to be taken into consideration. But it's hypothetical, since none of it exists. I don't really want to argue the ins and outs of it, that's what others here do ad infinitum. I find debating hypothetical situations rather unproductive.
A goodnight to all and to all a good night - Goodnight Moon

Chawe800

I like the idea but we probably aren't going to see this in CW3 considering it's so far into development. What if towers could soak up AC quickly to restore their health near instantly. This should be some sort of optional mechanic considering they could steal some AC you needed for your defense.
"The optimist proclaims that we live in the best of all possible worlds; and the pessimist fears this is true." -James Branch Cabell

Michionlion

Quote from: Chawe800 on January 02, 2013, 04:24:18 PM
I like the idea but we probably aren't going to see this in CW3 considering it's so far into development. What if towers could soak up AC quickly to restore their health near instantly. This should be some sort of optional mechanic considering they could steal some AC you needed for your defense.

If Virgil thinks it's worth time to put it in, it could still make it...  but that doesn't really mean anything.
"Remember kids, the only difference between science and messing around is writing it down."
                                                                                                                         - Adam Savage

My website
My CW1, and CW2 maps!

lurkily

I don't think it's influential enough, as the game is.  Having AC on the field tends to make the battlefront less fluid.  If C is encroaching on AC, it will probably keep encroaching, unless you take decisive action. 

I can't think of very many situations where you could point to the healing power of AC, and say with certainty that it swayed the course of a battle, or even a skirmish.

It is an interesting idea, but CW3 does not seem to be built for unit health to be that kind of a factor in holding creeper back.  Units regen health too quickly, and creeper must be overwhelming them in order to damage them.  Any unit that isn't about to die is either at full health, or will be in a minute.

That could be addressed by adding a unit that operates in conjunction with its own health, but that would turn it into a one-trick pony, something that was only really special in one contrived context.

TrickyDragon

it could be integrated into the new sniper unit to go into a "heal mode" and fire AC at friendlies to heal them with each shot.....   
This is Life,  Life happens.

Chawe800

Quote from: TrickyDragon on March 16, 2013, 08:50:44 PM
it could be integrated into the new sniper unit to go into a "heal mode" and fire AC at friendlies to heal them with each shot.....   

That would be simple targeting integration into sprayers. But I can understand you trying to integrate the sniper into more uses. I hope the sniper does have more uses then just killing runners...
But I trust Virgil ;)
"The optimist proclaims that we live in the best of all possible worlds; and the pessimist fears this is true." -James Branch Cabell

TrickyDragon

that was a typo, i meant spayers lol
This is Life,  Life happens.

Shrike30

We have a tower that sterilizes pets?  Awesome!

It's a neat idea, but a similar net effect can be had just spraying AC on your towers; they're protected from creeper, and so take less damage/have some time to autoheal.

lurkily

If you watch unit healing in the videos, it seems relatively rapid, compared to previous games.  I honestly don't think we'll feel a need for a unit dedicated to healing.

4xC

I doubt it myself. Healing boosters are not my cup of tea unless units cannot heal themselves already, and that is exactly what they do now.
C,C,C,C

Ronini

I agree. All a healing unit/AC would accomplish would add is a lot more micro-managing to shave off a few more seconds off you map time by healing your units that bit more quickly. You'd still have to get the healing unit/AC to the damaged unit or vice versa, So the time you can save by this won't be that much, really. Unless you'd have a unit that could heal your units while they are being damaged (i.e. in touch with creeper), so they would survive that 2 seconds or so longer, that you require in this specific instance. AC won't be able to do that. But somehow I don't really want that. There are still the shields, mind.