Upgrade System Ideas

Started by Chawe800, November 23, 2012, 08:01:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

lurkily

If a map and it's prerequisites, and those that have it as a prerequisite, are all linked online, then having these crarfted campaigns doesn't require a crafted galaxy.  A Galaxy can be built my the mapper without manually placing worlds and connections.  The mapped creates a campaign of ten maps.  It might be as easy as specifying a campaign name and prerequisites.  For instance, All the game needs to know is these ten maps are in a campaign called Disneyland, and the order they proceed in.

The game knows how to generate a galaxy - there's no need to put that burden on a mapper.  I would like the mapper to have that capability, but if it's a skill they MUST have to map, we may end up with fewer mappers instead.

Chawe800

I really like the Idea of every map creator to have it's own galaxy almost as a map hub for their maps and to create campaigns easier but it MUST be easy to understand and work worth otherwise you could really scare away people or end up with a tangled mess of a galaxy.
"The optimist proclaims that we live in the best of all possible worlds; and the pessimist fears this is true." -James Branch Cabell

lurkily

I don't think the map editor should even be required to make it.  Their galaxy should be made automatically, in an ordered manner so that players can find maps they want by any criteria.

Beyond that, if they want to provide an additional environment ordered by their own criteria, that's fine.  But the player should be able to enter a "maps created by" sector without any work on the mapper's part - just like they can enter a "maps sorted by most recent" sector.

Ronini

On the blog posts Lurkily said the upgrade/research system could do with "ongoing costs".

Do you have an idea how to achieve that, yet?

lurkily

Quote from: Ronini on November 29, 2012, 05:29:33 PM
On the blog posts Lurkily said the upgrade/research system could do with "ongoing costs".

Do you have an idea how to achieve that, yet?
Well, if this were CW2, I would say increase tech dome technyte output, and have each upgrade consume technites according to a rate, instead of out of a single purchase.

I'd want to see the beginning of how CW3's tech tree, if any, develops in the blog before suggesting anything specific for game 3.

Ronini

Nice. So simple. I like that.

lurkily

The consequences of supply failure are another issue.  You can't just have everything fail.  Your energy drops, so your technyte output drops, so your energy efficiency upgrades drop.  That's not good.

But that's something I'll wait to talk about until we see more from what V has planned for tech in CW3.