Sugjestions for added dificulty

Started by Catalyst, November 19, 2012, 02:41:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Catalyst

I was thinking about the normal trend of these types of games and how in a lot of cases a specific formula always works for a given set of circumstances. Here are some ideas to add difficulty and potentially randomize some aspects of the game.

Creeper nodes can spawn during a game. This can be predetermined or random spawns. You could even build the idea that digitalis and creeper reach a "critical mass" and form a new node of a predetermined or random type.

Creeper Shell What if creeper can stop spreading and harden....it would become VERY resistant to damage and would build pressure underneath. At some trigger or time limit the creep would soften and the pressurized creep would spread very rapidly for a short time.

Digitalis Gains Height as the Digi gains height is absorbs more and more creeper. Essentially destroying very high digi is not only tougher, it releases significantly more stored creep. This could also serve as a wall that some weapons can not see/shoot thru. It could be used as a ramp or bridge of sorts for creep to cross higher terrain without needing to FILL the lower terrain.

Creeper or Digitalis can take over nodes. Yeah, nasty nasty nasty...but I think would require some AI work. Still the idea could be fun.

Triggers. This is something I know has been thrown around. Imagine I take a node and the path to victory looks clear...Wait, digitalis is growing a new direction. Creeper volume/speed is increasing...Oh S%#&.

Wave Emitter Imagine a tidal wave of creep that is pushed toward you every few seconds or minutes. This could be a counter to high terrain bases.

Just some thoughts. Very pleased with game development so far. Excited to play it in the near future.

Chawe800

All though a lot of these ideas have been mentioned before it's nice to see them compiled into one area for feedback and additional suggestions.

Triggers really sounds like a fantastic idea and I've really been trying to stress the utilization of Triggers to CW.

Digitalis height sounds like another good idea to improve on the utility and options of digitalis.

Another idea for increased difficulty could be some sort of hard setting where more creeper spawns, faster runners, tougher digitalis. Also I really think a challenge mode for some maps having you suppressed with server nasty conditions (no mortars for example) would be added fun.
"The optimist proclaims that we live in the best of all possible worlds; and the pessimist fears this is true." -James Branch Cabell

lurkily

Quote from: Chawe800 on November 19, 2012, 04:13:36 PMAlso I really think a challenge mode for some maps having you suppressed with server nasty conditions (no mortars for example) would be added fun.
Interesting thought . . . have the option of unit restrictions worked into player-generated code maps, so that you might end up fighting a level under very challenging circumstances . . . imagine the difficulty of even a typical map if both nodes and relays were disallowed, for instance?

4xC

Creeper shells remind me of a possibility for what kind of CW2 fields could be made so they absorb creeper and then dissapear asllowing rapid spreading of creeper, and that sounds pretty interesting.

What kind of nodes would they be?

Wave emitters sound very catchy for unusual challenges that would look good perhaps.

I would agree that digitalis needs to have height variation.

Triggers seem good for unexpectations in battle.

And if Command Nodes can be overthrown by enemies and captured, I will be very drawn in.
C,C,C,C

lurkily

I think he was talking about nodes on the network, specifically collectors and relays, but I could be wrong.

Command nodes could never be taken over except by carelessness - most players would move them or remove them when the warning bells started clanging.

Catalyst

Quote from: lurkily on November 19, 2012, 07:42:32 PM
I think he was talking about nodes on the network, specifically collectors and relays, but I could be wrong.

Command nodes could never be taken over except by carelessness - most players would move them or remove them when the warning bells started clanging.

I used "node" too generically. What I meant was any (or some specific set of) player structure(s)...

lurkily

Quote from: Catalyst on November 19, 2012, 09:16:37 PM
Quote from: lurkily on November 19, 2012, 07:42:32 PM

I used "node" too generically. What I meant was any (or some specific set of) player structure(s)...
Any point or terminal on the network?  Hrm.

And what would taking them over do?  Turn your PC's on your collectors and reactors?

BGMFH

Digitalis taking over a reactor could mean massive increase in digitalis expansion rate or height increase maybe.

Digitalis making contact with a relay could cause a massive drain on energy packets, and maybe even turn AC packets into Digitalis.

koker93

That last sounds awesome.  If digitalis manages to get to your network it creates a power drain.  And uses your power to get stronger, making it harder to fight it off once it makes the connection.

lurkily

But why would it ever happen?  In most situations, I would just destruct the unit if I could not hold the digi back, and maybe shift my lines a bit.  It's one of those things that only really challenges a careless player.

Catalyst

Quote from: lurkily on November 20, 2012, 06:10:22 AM
But why would it ever happen?  In most situations, I would just destruct the unit if I could not hold the digi back, and maybe shift my lines a bit.  It's one of those things that only really challenges a careless player.

Still...it does happen even to good players. Your pushing multiple fronts and you hear "BOOM", say some expletive and address an area you thought was secure. Now imagine that instead of going boom, your turret is attacking You! This is a far fetched idea and could be pretty radical to the design of the game. I think my original thought was more of a story driven idea than a game mechanic.

Still...I think there is some potential to this one and I really like the idea of digi getting stronger, growing faster, "connecting" to my network and stealing power from the grid.

lurkily

Here's how I feel about it.  Either you can still issue a destruct order, and it's useless, or you cannot, and you face unit loss as a result of the damage that at -least- that unit will incur.

I DO like the idea of Digi being able to reach objectives and expand its capability, but whether those objectives should be player units leaves me in doubt.

4xC

Speaking of objectives, I was thinking that CW3 could use some seconadry or bonus objectives aside of obliteration and acquisition on each map. This would make maps more interesting to beat in every potential respect.
C,C,C,C

Chawe800

The ability of digitalis to take over structures I found to be really similar to my idea of Digitalis cannons of some sort. Like some sort of mechanized digitalis weapon against you where I strongly agree about. I would love objectives that the Digitalis could be used to strengthen this digitalis.
"The optimist proclaims that we live in the best of all possible worlds; and the pessimist fears this is true." -James Branch Cabell