Suggestion for possible Military/Industrial Command stations

Started by BGMFH, November 15, 2012, 07:28:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ronini

Because what he suggested goes beyond merely selecting which type of packets to produce. I think, the idea is worth pondering for a bit. It would certainly make good use of the multiple base concept.

lurkily

I do think that concept was an inspiration for his idea.  I do not think that concept is what he is trying to do here.

EDIT: Ooop, sorry Ro, didn't see you there.

BGMFH

The primary concept, if you look at the numbers I used, is to allow specialization at need, but to force a loss of total efficiency regardless.

Basically, choosing both a military and industrial CN in my opinion should not equal out to the same as choosing 2 standard CNs, but instead be 15-25% less efficient in total.

lurkily

The problems I see inherent here are that economy and military are so tightly interwoven.  Energy production == shots fired and weapons produced.

Perhaps you are approaching it from the wrong angle.  Perhaps the types of CN's around determine the ranks of upgrades available?  One can unlock a couple ranks in productive techs, another can unlock a couple ranks in military techs, and standard can unlock one in each.

That model doesn't show a lack of efficiency like you described, but still provides clear benefits and drawbacks to utilizing one or another.  Utilizing a military command may give you more attack power via upgrades, but it would also limit the production upgrades you are capable of.

Lord_Farin

Quote from: lurkily on November 26, 2012, 07:53:10 PM
The problems I see inherent here are that economy and military are so tightly interwoven.  Energy production == shots fired and weapons produced.

Perhaps you are approaching it from the wrong angle.  Perhaps the types of CN's around determine the ranks of upgrades available?  One can unlock a couple ranks in productive techs, another can unlock a couple ranks in military techs, and standard can unlock one in each.

That model doesn't show a lack of efficiency like you described, but still provides clear benefits and drawbacks to utilizing one or another.  Utilizing a military command may give you more attack power via upgrades, but it would also limit the production upgrades you are capable of.
Nice. +1.
Behold, Nexus! Looketh skywards, for thy obliteration thence nighs, my foul enemy!

BGMFH

Agreed, that is a nice way of doing it.

Perhaps a mil CN gives a +10% mil research rate and a -15% production research rate, or instead perhaps a cost reduction instead of a rate change?

lurkily

I'd rather go with providing access to the research, so that the benefit of one over another doesn't just go away with time.

EDIT: In other words, switch from military back to normal, and you lose your top-tier military upgrades.

BGMFH

Ah.  See, Id prefer it be a permanent choice.  Once you drop a mil CN on the map, you cant easily turn it into a normal or industrial CN.

Of course, Id also think it would be cool if most maps wouldnt let you drop all 3 CNs at once.

lurkily

Mmmmm . . . that would lock you up at the start.  I like the idea of being able to use technology choices later in the game.  In CW2, once you had your technites, the technological game was basically over.  In this model, you can make a decision to drop upgrades in order to open new paths, and in response to circumstances.  It gives you strategic options.

Chawe800

This sounds like a great idea. In separate missions It would be cool to unlock things that enable you to drop down CN. This could also force you to drop down a Military Command Node and later progressing you acquire the tech and resources to drop down and economic CN thus enabling economic upgrades and military upgrades to strengthen your total force.
"The optimist proclaims that we live in the best of all possible worlds; and the pessimist fears this is true." -James Branch Cabell

lurkily

I'm thinking more along the lines of starting out with economic nodes, and expanding infrastructure faster at the start.  With those economic upgrades available, you could expand quickly.  

Once you have expanded, you need to hold your territory.  You might switch to normal, giving up some of your economic advantage to gain combat upgrades - range, fire rate, etc.

Then you might require an offensive.  Your infrastructure is secure, so you might switch one node to military for a more powerful assault.

Uh-oh!  The increased drain on your economy slowed the reload of your beams.  A spore got through at a critical juncture, and creepers is overrunning half your base.  You might consider switching back to an economic node instead.  You have the weapons to hold off creeper, but your energy infrastructure has been torn apart, and you need every ounce of efficiency out of what's left.

. . . . . that's the kind of decison that I envision this making possible.  Of course, these switches would all take time and have costs, but it would allow you to re-align the focus of your play style.  It doesn't have to be quick, but it is something the player can do to change the landscape of the battle without a lot of management.