CW3 Suggestions Redux

Started by knucracker, November 01, 2012, 11:56:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Grauniad

I think we'd all like something like that. My preference is that if you set a unit to build with specific options, those options are persisted in future builds of the same unit type until you change them. However, I'm definitely NOT going to ask Virgil at this point in time to make any changes like this. It may be a PITA, but I'd rather have the game with this PITA than have to wait another extra day tagged on to the end.

I'm pretty sure Virgil has a "push list" of things that may make the game nicer and that he may release an update after the game is ready. some things may make it into that depending on how easy it is to fit them into the existing framework.  This might be an item for evaluation and consideration.
A goodnight to all and to all a good night - Goodnight Moon

lurkily

PC's targeting prioritizing runners may possibly be a holdover from when sniper units didn't exist, and it appeared that PC's were the counter to runners.

EDIT: The NACDAR blog post shows good evidence of PC's pre-sniper role.

Shrike30

I'm not sure why PCs couldn't still target runners. It's not the most efficient way to kill them, but it makes intuitive sense that it should happen.

Ronini

I can not say for sure, obviously, but I'd think that PC are fairly useless against runners due to them being stunned most of the time. I'd imagine you'd need quite a number of PCs dealing with one lonely runner to do any useful damage.

Grauniad

There are three things PCs can shoot at - Runners, Digitalis and Creeper. In varying circumstances, different targeting priorities may make sense - similar to the Blaster's simpler targeting priorities in CW2.

We're really not at liberty to discuss much more than that. At least not until later... much later.
A goodnight to all and to all a good night - Goodnight Moon

lurkily

Ah!  I misspoke.  I meant to refer to priorities only.  Edited my post to make that clearer.

4xC

I see PC's working on runners when they are on PZ's and have too much range to be stunned, but if this is mainly for direct engagement in close-quarters combat, I cannot imagine PC's working out. Perhaps Shields should migitate stunning effects?
C,C,C,C

tornado

in my opinion laws of physics shold aply unless alterd buy higher entitys
Now CEO of Particular Endeavors. http://knucklecracker.com/forums/index.php?topic=23752.new#new
We apologize for all inconveniences that we caused.
Quotefirst, you have to imagine a very big box, fitting inside a very samll box.
then, you have to build one

Shrike30

A bunch of PCs parked next to each other should be able to deal with runners through target saturation (can't stun 'em all before one of them shoots back) but the sniper should be the more space and energy efficient means of dealing with them. This appears to already be the case.

lurkily

All depends on how much damage PC's deal to runners.  They're no longer the main counter to runners, so they don't need to do lots of runner damage.  Also depends on how much range the runners have - they may or may not be able to strike un-upgraded PC's.  Worst case, it may take a lot of PC's to effectively defend against runners, ideally with a decoy out front, too.

The other thing to consider is that if a pulse-cannon can out-range runners, they don't need to kill them.  By targeting digitalis, they can control runners' mobility without killing them.

hoodwink

I get the idea (mainly from the videos such as NACDAR and so forth) that runners have a larger range than PCs. Therefore you must either decoy, upgrade range, or have quite a few of them. You could probably even bring in mortars or strafers to kill off the digi if the runner problem really gets That annoying.
Stare not into the abyss, or it has hasten in its approach.
~ Hoodwink (thesmish, smish777 or sigil)

lurkily

Quote from: hoodwink on March 10, 2013, 11:28:39 AM
I get the idea (mainly from the videos such as NACDAR and so forth) that runners have a larger range than PCs. Therefore you must either decoy, upgrade range, or have quite a few of them. You could probably even bring in mortars or strafers to kill off the digi if the runner problem really gets That annoying.
NACDAR was also recorded before snipers were introduced.

hoodwink

Quote from: lurkily on March 10, 2013, 11:32:15 AM

Yes, but I'm trying to point out how somebody would go about attacking runners without snipers (since if they can quite easily, the sniper does not have much of a use). The video is useful for this because it does feature them.
Stare not into the abyss, or it has hasten in its approach.
~ Hoodwink (thesmish, smish777 or sigil)

koker93

You can probably overwhelm runners with PC's.  If a runner can stun 4 units before it gets into PC range, then you need 5 to stun one runner.  So a group of 10 PCs should be able to handle a few runners.  but a lot of maps dont have room for an unlimited amount of weapons to be place don the front of the battle.  So you can accomplish the same thing as a sniper does with PCs but would you want to?

DaMetaEX

Quote from: hoodwink on March 10, 2013, 02:56:27 PM
Quote from: lurkily on March 10, 2013, 11:32:15 AM

Yes, but I'm trying to point out how somebody would go about attacking runners without snipers (since if they can quite easily, the sniper does not have much of a use). The video is useful for this because it does feature them.
snipers have no use eh? then how about a runner charging in on the digitalis like in CW2 that had a [large] load of life your PCs stratogy might be able to kill it eventually but then again it would also backfire since as stated in NACDAR the creatures can explode into creep so a Large life one would carry a payload equivlant to 3 maybe 4 emitters pumping out for 4 cycles. using snipers will kill the pay load long before it gets too close to deal with

Edited for language -G.