CW3 Suggestions Redux

Started by knucracker, November 01, 2012, 11:56:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lord_Farin

Another alternative is to make the terrain uneven to prevent guppies or any other unit from landing until terps have done their job.
Behold, Nexus! Looketh skywards, for thy obliteration thence nighs, my foul enemy!

Chawe800

Quote from: ShadowDragon7015 on February 14, 2013, 12:35:53 PM
I was thinking it could be something you need to protect in a map with large voids between asteroids where you have to obtain the guppy tech from a different asteroid.

Expect there to be objective based objects you have to defend. (the CW3 equivalent of Drop Pods)
"The optimist proclaims that we live in the best of all possible worlds; and the pessimist fears this is true." -James Branch Cabell

Kingo

I came up with this idea when watching "The March" today.
How about a unit that allows aircraft to link up to the network while in flight?
The unit would require energy and/or packets to operate. Aircraft in flight would be able to be rearmed and could get back to the action quickly.
If the unit would support Guppies, it should either require another (slightly more expensive) unit or an upgrade to the unit (and higher energy cost).

Shrike30

Quote from: Chawe800 on February 13, 2013, 06:27:44 PM
Deep Bore Rig:
I could definitely see that in game but I wonder about how much AC that would cost. That seems like a ridiculous amount of AC but I really like the idea. What about the potential of allowing packets to go through the tunnel or even just the the idea of a landline tunnel separate. What if it could just suck up some Creeper into the tunnel before detonating trapping creeper into the tunnel. Just some suggestions.
Balancing the AC use would be important.  You'd be operating something like this in lieu of putting that AC into bombers or sprayers, much the same way that a Bertha uses a ton of energy that could otherwise be going to other structures.  In low-ore environments, it'd be impractical.

I do like the idea (spun off your "sucking up creeper then collapsing" idea) of allowing it to function as something like a long-range terp that can only reduce height.  Basically, the rig drills out the ground beneath an area and then collapses the caves it's created, dropping the height of the area.  You could create trenches, deepen lakes, and generally make larger areas for the creeper to fill before it spills over.  I'm not sure there's much interest in a titan terraformer, though.

Quote from: Chawe800 on February 13, 2013, 06:27:44 PM
Space Elevator (mark II)/Emitter Cap
The idea of temporarily disabling an emitter seems interesting. I think you shouldn't be able to destroy it when it has a cap on it and that it releases some pressurized creeper when the cap is destroyed. I like the idea otherwise.
If you weren't able to destroy the capped emitter while the cap was in place, I think it'd be hard to find a use for the thing, as anything you built in the area would have a burst of creeper coming shortly.  If there's going to be a massive cost associated with a titan weapon, it should have titanic effects IMO.  If you're spending several hundred packets building the Elevator and subsequent Caps, plus the amount of anticreeper likely going into this thing, it should pay off pretty well when used.

Honestly, I think it'd be cool if there was an uncharged Nullifier built into the Cap.  You don't want to drop one of those things through an atmosphere powered up (vibrations might cause an early detonation, spraying your AC all over the stratosphere), but once it's had a chance to stabilize on the ground, it'd only make sense to have one in place.  Maybe drop the Cap in a Disconnected state, so that supplying the Nullifier was optional.  The Nullifier might also only be able to target the emitter underneath the Cap, as it's within the armored structure of the Cap itself, in which case it might make more sense to build a Nullifier outside of the Cap (if, say, it's in the middle of a bunch of Emitters).

What happens when you build a Titan on a power site?

lurkily

Quote from: Shrike30 on February 15, 2013, 04:29:20 AMBasically, the rig drills out the ground beneath an area and then collapses the caves it's created, dropping the height of the area.  You could create trenches, deepen lakes, and generally make larger areas for the creeper to fill before it spills over.  I'm not sure there's much interest in a titan terraformer, though.
I think the idea here is that it would create a tunnel, suck tunnel into this theoretical hole in the map, then cave in the tunnel.  Not a large-scale terraform to create moats to slow it down, but to fully seal it away.  In effect, since that creeper just goes away, to 'destroy' it.

QuoteWhat happens when you build a Titan on a power site?
I can't see that V commented on the specific effects anywhere, (I looked!) but both V and McG have stated that every unit gets a boost.
Quote from: Kingo on February 14, 2013, 11:21:59 PMI came up with this idea when watching "The March" today.
How about a unit that allows aircraft to link up to the network while in flight?
Air units don't even link up with the network when they're on the ground - only with their pad when they're on the pad.  The only exception is guppies, when they land to dispatch.

Grauniad

Quote from: Shrike30 on February 15, 2013, 04:29:20 AM
What happens when you build a Titan on a power site?

It gets some upgrade from the PZ. For instance, the Big Bertha will fire a 3-shell shot, and use only 75 ammo rather than 150 to do so. 3x the damage, 50% the cost. It's huge.
A goodnight to all and to all a good night - Goodnight Moon

ShadowDragon7015

virgil had said that the bertha on a power zone would have something like a scatter shot.
Hiding the golden creeper for years to come.

Shrike30

Man.  Given the staggering cost of building/operating a Titan, I can't imagine not wanting to wait and clear a PZ before setting one up (if practicable) if the bonuses are going to be that huge.

I'm honestly not sure that's such a good idea.  Not going to complain about having it, just thinking it might be a little OP.

Kingo

Quote from: Kingo on February 14, 2013, 11:21:59 PMI came up with this idea when watching "The March" today.
Air units don't even link up with the network when they're on the ground - only with their pad when they're on the pad.  The only exception is guppies, when they land to dispatch.
[/quote]

Well I think we all saw what you described in the blog videos.
That is why it is a suggestion :).
Another idea I had:
As a mapmaker, balancing the use of units (only applicabe to removing the technology and making them get it) being built and/or having units already built on the map can really add challenge to a map.
It would be great if you put several technology units on the map, and the player could only build a certain amount of units after retrieveing the tech.
This is uesful when you want to put units in an area where the creeper will cover it. Putting built units will make them useless, because they will be destroyed.

It would be a useful tool for mapmakers.

hoodwink

Quote from: Shrike30 on February 15, 2013, 04:29:20 AM
...spraying your AC all over the stratosphere...

Hah! Anticreeper rain!

... actually, that sounds almost useful if controllable.
Then again, what does this achieve that bombers don't?
Stare not into the abyss, or it has hasten in its approach.
~ Hoodwink (thesmish, smish777 or sigil)

Kingo

It has a wider area of effect?
On a map with less dense creeper this could be great. Bombers are very slow and distribute anticreeper onto 1 area.

Grauniad

AC Rain is spectacular and spectacularly ineffective.
A goodnight to all and to all a good night - Goodnight Moon

lurkily

Quote from: Shrike30 on February 15, 2013, 12:19:51 PMMan.  Given the staggering cost of building/operating a Titan, I can't imagine not wanting to wait and clear a PZ before setting one up (if practicable) if the bonuses are going to be that huge.
The way I see it, a PZ grants you de facto control over that entire region of the map, and provides ongoing long-term benefits through the placement of strafers, titans, or reactors.  Even if the PZ is isolated by void or somesuch to minimize its advantage to you, its advantage will be projected if you use it wisely - even if it's only occupied by a reactor, or a relay to bridge normally unbridgeable gaps.

Once you start taking power zones, you should already know how you plan to finish the map.  I see the power zones as being the way you 'break' the enemy.  Once you can hold a power zone so securely that you can complete a titan there, I have no problem with the titan being strong.

Remember, a mapper can always forbid a player from using a PZ if they must, through methods such as occupying a cell under the edge of an emitter with void.
Quote from: hoodwink on February 15, 2013, 04:53:10 PMHah! Anticreeper rain!

... actually, that sounds almost useful if controllable.
Then again, what does this achieve that bombers don't?
Nothing . . . and it would put only a fraction of your AC where it would do good.  It might be helpful if your storage is filling and you cannot bring your AC to bear - or perhaps on maps with lots of void or AET's.  But I don't think it will be preferable to an unhindered bombing in any circumstance.

Doesn't mean it wouldn't be awesome, though.

ShadowDragon7015

I think an AC rain would look cool if the game was made in 3D.
Hiding the golden creeper for years to come.

Kingo

AC rain would really lag lower end computers... if it was in 3D.