CW3 Suggestions Redux

Started by knucracker, November 01, 2012, 11:56:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ronini

1) A Creeper Magnet (Bomb) would be fun. I, for one, would be looking forward to some device like this.

2) I'm not sure in how far instantaneous changes to the terrain will be possible, but what you describe can be done (subject to the elevation changing speed) with the CRPL Tower. You can add fancy triggers and all, too.

hoodwink

Quote from: Kronokill on January 30, 2013, 12:43:38 PM
One more suggestion I think could be cool would be when your in the map editor you could be able to create 2 versions of your map that would switch between each other every certain amount of time. With this you could make some walls disappear to let some creeper through and then reblock it off or lower terrain to let some creeper into zones that were safe before.

This can mostly be accomplished (currently) by using the CRPL tower.
Stare not into the abyss, or it has hasten in its approach.
~ Hoodwink (thesmish, smish777 or sigil)

Chawe800

While this does seem cool this can be accomplished with shields if you want. Force the creeper into a choke point then charge forward with shields. This may be albeit  more energy expensive but it can certainly accomplish the same goal.

Not to mention Berthas fire excellent bombing projectiles.
"The optimist proclaims that we live in the best of all possible worlds; and the pessimist fears this is true." -James Branch Cabell

Kronokill

I have another idea I would like to see on map creation is the ability to prevent certain structures you create from moving kind of like you can do with Odin City on CW1. It could add more possibilities to the maps people make (mainly I would like this because the last map I created and submitted failed horribly because there was an exploit I didn't notice that would have been easier to prevent if I had this feature).
Sorry if I'm bugging anyone by posting to often I just love this series.

Ronini

Chawe800: No. You can't. At least not quite the same. A device that pulls creeper towards itself from all sides is different to a shield that pushes it in just one general direction.

Kronokill: I agree. Such an option would be useful.

JH

The ability for the player to interact directly with the CRPL cores, like giving them orders and moving them around.
Heck, let's take it a step further and allow map makers to use them to create units the player can build and move around themselves!

I am a bit of a dreamer, I know...

Michionlion

Quote from: JH on January 31, 2013, 10:36:08 AM
The ability for the player to interact directly with the CRPL cores, like giving them orders and moving them around.
Heck, let's take it a step further and allow map makers to use them to create units the player can build and move around themselves!

I am a bit of a dreamer, I know...

A way to make a gui or menu of somekind, or even just able to know when the user clicked on the core, would be really awesome.
"Remember kids, the only difference between science and messing around is writing it down."
                                                                                                                         - Adam Savage

My website
My CW1, and CW2 maps!

Ronini

I have to say, I think this would take it just a bit far. Sounds like it won't be CW anymore. I.e. you probably could do a (very very basic) jump'n'run with this. Well, maybe not, but you definitely could create your own units and titans for your maps. All (okay, most of) the ideas for additional units that were posted here could be created. If that's what virgil wants, okay with me.
I just hope there will be some form of filter that let's you select and hide maps that crpl / altered unit properties / custom units, etc. (all of these should be different, not one, option)

lurkily

You might be able to make a platformer, but it'd have to be done with controls that exist already - I haven't seen anything to suggest that you'd be able to alter the response to player controls, or add new controls.  (Like space to make a figure made of AC jump over a creeper obstacle, or whatever.)

It'd be possible enough to make such a system, but very difficult to devise a control scheme.

Ronini

Yeah. Went a little overboard with the exaggeration there. But still,...

lurkily

Quote from: Ronini on January 31, 2013, 06:15:52 PM
Yeah. Went a little overboard with the exaggeration there. But still,...
No - the capabilities for the expression are there, even if the controls aren't quite.

tornado

Quote from: Kingo on January 27, 2013, 03:08:56 PM
What I thought (and meant originally) was that it would be useful if there are no available resource assets for conventional gathering of that resource.(i'm talking no ore deposits in a map maybe, or not enough/nearly no workable space to build reactors).
Last night I thought up a different way for distribution of packets: give the reactor an AI that produces certain packets by calculating from a number of factors which are desperately needed where (basically, it takes factors hidden in the code, and calculates that ammo packets will be needed more then build packets due to a wave of creeper surrounding the ridge in the near future.)
Basically, a priority control function. You can give it the option to burn every packet that comes through it's network connection (maybe not EVERY packet... needs a bit of work I can see) to get a more efficient distribution of resources.  
That might fit under a new unit, but I think it would be great for those who are casual and don't like or know how to micromanage efficiently. And maybe it will make fighting more complex enemies be well-balanced (think of CPRL towers...)

I figure my original post wasn't overly neat, so i'll summarize some ideas for it here:

- The reactor requires input of energy to power energy fields (so it doesn't destroy itself from the reactions)
- You can select what type of resource(s) to input and what resources you can get out of the reactor. I suppose applying different levels of efficiency (say, every two units of ammo packets makes 1 ore packet or 1 building packet, 1 anti-creeper packet makes 2 ore packets or 3 ammo packets, etc) would make for an interesting gameplay mechanic.
- All packet types (energy as well, at a high cost) can be used as the reactants. Energy must also be used to catalyze (start) and maintain certain reactions (to prevent the reactor from making games too easy/ being too overpowered)
-It can be moved, and it will take a moderate time to build (maybe as long as shields take to build as of the last blog update)

That's all I have for now.

what ifthe reaction element was creeper.ding!combined with the pulveriser idea from elier it could be an ideal adition to cw3.

just a sugestion

tornado
Now CEO of Particular Endeavors. http://knucklecracker.com/forums/index.php?topic=23752.new#new
We apologize for all inconveniences that we caused.
Quotefirst, you have to imagine a very big box, fitting inside a very samll box.
then, you have to build one

lurkily

Ouch.  Quotewall.

Quote from: tornado on February 03, 2013, 03:44:41 AM
Quote from: Kingo on January 27, 2013, 03:08:56 PMan AI that produces certain packets by calculating from a number of factors which are desperately needed where (basically, it takes factors hidden in the code, and calculates that ammo packets will be needed more then build packets due to a wave of creeper surrounding the ridge in the near future.)
what ifthe reaction element was creeper.ding!combined with the pulveriser idea from elier it could be an ideal adition to cw3.
Reaction element?  Explain?

I've said a lot about this one already . . . all I'll add is that I like the idea of an conversion unit between AC/Energy or energy/AC more than I like the idea of an energy-powered energy factory.

The 'pulverizer' (That name really deserves to be on a more destructive unit) was a creeper-powered reactor, right?  First, I don't see why we need so many reactor-type units.  Second, I don't see how there'd be any interplay.  They both serve the same function, without supporting each other at all.  It's like nickels and dimes - you might have twenty of one or ten of the other, but no matter how you add them up, you never get anything but twenty cents.

4xC

First off, 20 nickles plus 10 dimes is $2 and 20 dimes plus 10 nickles is $2.50. How did you get 20 cents?

Second, reactor-type things of CW3 seem to be at a good enough peak if you ask me. And energy and packets have so much potentially confusing interplay based on some of what I haveseen on this site that it should stay where it is with the packet/energy features of the guppy.

BTW, if I can ever find a time when I will not be too busy or too distracted, I may actually see those blog clips with sound and catch up with the changes. Being in the college library frequently means I cannot play them with sound.
C,C,C,C

Mr.H

Such a contraption also has the benefit of bolstering your remote forces a while longer even if guppy supplies fail.
Good evening/morning/night/afternoon
You are now reading my signature...
Stop reading IT!