CW3 Suggestions Redux

Started by knucracker, November 01, 2012, 11:56:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

gakm4

My thoughts on a Titan class weapon
short/mid range weapon (bertha already has infinite range)
should wipe out large amounts of creeper (so as to justify it being a titan)
player targeted similar to the bertha
should fire from tower to player target destroying all creeper in its path
projectile should be shaped similar to a parenthesis
would be able to fire 3-4 shots from the ammo it had stored up (which would be about as much as the bertha)
could be set to use all shots with a 1 sec delay between or be player targeted for each shot
should fire through terrain killing creeper above and below its level

This weapon would be effective with your front line troops to get over difficult terrain if terp was not available or efficient. It would be an efficient way to remove large amounts of digitalis and place your towers there especially if there were AET in the area so you couldn't cut it with strafers.

tornado

I have been watching everything and thought
Why not make I iPod/iPad/iPhone version.
I would creat a nice steady income which
Could then be used for future projects and
A fund for a promotion to steam green light
Like virgil surgested some time ago.

Just a surgestion.
Tornado
Now CEO of Particular Endeavors. http://knucklecracker.com/forums/index.php?topic=23752.new#new
We apologize for all inconveniences that we caused.
Quotefirst, you have to imagine a very big box, fitting inside a very samll box.
then, you have to build one

J

An ipad/iphone version would take another year of work for V and its pretty hard to give the player good control. CW2 for the ipad could work out very well but the work is about the same as a whole new game.
6 months before the official release BTD5 other programmers were already working on the portable version of the game which had been released december 2012 (after 18 months of programming).
Over 2-3 years I might want to try to create a portable version of CW2 (not including all features of course :P) but before that, I'll need a lot more experience.

Ronini

The CW games are very much mouse+keyboard games. I don't really see a way to retain the essential parts of CW's gameplay without having the possibility to hover with your cursor without clicking plus the game still being fun to play.

Even if there was a sensible way around this, there still would be the issue of screen size vs map size. Yes, you could have all sorts of zoom levels. But then you face the issue of unit size vs my big fat fingers.

J

If we keep the right side for unit settings, build tabs and the pause/cancel button there's enough room for the map. Double tap for group selection and double tap & drag for drag build. Tap & drag is like moving the mouse with something selected. Tapping with a second finger while dragging cancels what you were doing. It are just those irritating things like group select and pausing that make it harder to play (and programming it so it is easy for the player). About zooming; no, just scrolling up and down (thats why I didn't say CW3 :P).
Since the iPad version won't come out this year (mayby in december...) and this is a CW3 topic, let's get back on topic

Ronini

First: True,on tablets, there might be enough room. On a phone? No.

Second: I don't think you realize how much the cursor hovering ability gives to the games. There are tablets that you can connect to your computer an then write on it with a special pen. Try playing a CW game with one of these if you have a chance,to simulate touchscreen play. You'll see how much control this lacks.

Chawe800

While I really like that idea Virgil is only one man. I mean sure he has Grauniad and Madmag, (and Channi I guess) But he's just one man doing almost all of the work. With a powerful project like the Creper World series he doesn't really have time or effort to incorporate an iPad/Phone/Pod game.

I will however say iPad controls for Creeper world would be great to more casual players. I barely ever actually use the keyboard when playing Creeper World, I simplified version of the selection controls in Creeper World definitely could work.

"The optimist proclaims that we live in the best of all possible worlds; and the pessimist fears this is true." -James Branch Cabell

Grauniad

Quote from: tornado on January 22, 2013, 10:51:10 AM

Just a surgestion.
Tornado

Every game dev that is not thinking about the mobile market is not a game dev with a long-term future in mind. Having said that, it is not always easy to see how to port existing games to that environment.

CW3 is developed with Unity3D that can be ported to IOS and Android (at significant extra licensing cost to the developer). What remains is to resolve issues such as interaction, user interface, infrastructure and additional content, such as custom maps. All not insignificant hurdles.
A goodnight to all and to all a good night - Goodnight Moon

lurkily

My opinion is that there should be no 'port' of a creeper game to mobile.  Any mobile creeper game should be designed, ground-up, to be used on a mobile device.  It may share many things with a particular CW game - it may even share code - but the design and the intent and the result should be something targeted from start to finish for a mobile device as a new game, not just "CW3 on a tablet".

Ronini

Quote from: lurkily on January 22, 2013, 10:22:12 PM
My opinion is that there should be no 'port' of a creeper game to mobile.  Any mobile creeper game should be designed, ground-up, to be used on a mobile device.  It may share many things with a particular CW game - it may even share code - but the design and the intent and the result should be something targeted from start to finish for a mobile device as a new game, not just "CW3 on a tablet".

Hear, hear.

MizInIA

noob here wanting to chime in on porting. I agree that direct porting is not the answer. While I would love a CW Mobile Version I think the control from any of the games would provide a frustrating experience on a pure touch screen device.

For example if CW1 was ported just building collectors would be frustrating trying to get them spaced correct. There would be lots of build and destroy while paused because your finger rocked and put it one space away from where you wanted it. However the drag to build we have seen from CW3 could eliminate that problem. But so could wireless technology from CW2. I used CW1 as an example because I feel the map size and shorter construct-able list fits the mobile environment better. CW2 would have to designate part of the screen to a scroll bar since it is side view and terrain can be destroyed, tapping on the screen to scroll could inadvertently mark blocks for destruction.

J

CW2 normally also doesn't show you the whole map (unless it is a 22-height map)
Scrolling: use the bar the normally shows you the emitters, gateways and creeper per row as scrollbar (and put it on the left side of the screen). Still I think CW2 will be the best for CWM(obile). (Don't forget this is a CW3 board so discussions for mobile versions should go somewhere else, how about a 'general suggestions' board for suggestion about new games and forum improvements? or would that go to general discussion?).

MapMaster

Quote from: Grauniad on January 22, 2013, 07:29:11 PM
Quote from: tornado on January 22, 2013, 10:51:10 AM

Just a surgestion.
Tornado

Every game dev that is not thinking about the mobile market is not a game dev with a long-term future in mind. Having said that, it is not always easy to see how to port existing games to that environment.

CW3 is developed with Unity3D that can be ported to IOS and Android (at significant extra licensing cost to the developer). What remains is to resolve issues such as interaction, user interface, infrastructure and additional content, such as custom maps. All not insignificant hurdles.

If you are going to do that, it might be a good idea to put it on the kindle store to get a larger audience.

lurkily

Does the Fire not have access to Google Play?  It would make sense for Amazon to cut out Google books and video, now that I consider it, and amazon has their own app store.

Kingo

Hey all,
I just came up with this idea from watching an old blog post video (and partly from a new CW1 series I am planning on making).
In my series, there are these reactors, which I call "Force Reactors"
You'll know what I mean when I describe how they work if you know what the four fundamental forces are (gravity, strong/weak nuclear force, and the electromagnetic force(s) that play a role in subatomic particle interactions (yes, I am a bit of a geek :D)

(Note: this is the science I envisioned behind the reactor, not core gameplay mechanics. I just wished to share this)
Basically, the reactors are designed to use the difference of the fundamental forces to create something out of it (say, energy, or exotic matter). If, say, you are playing around with the strong nuclear force, and the gravitic constant is different (i envisioned martian gravity instead of earth-normal) then strange reactions occur inside, and through some science I am not going to describe here, strange types of matter or energy is formed. On its own (or whether through the application of normal matter to the strange matter) certain types of matter will annihlate normal matter, creating energy. Or, through certain procedures, the matter could be used in an industrial and/or commercial setting.

Now on to my ideas for in-game application:
Upon building the reactor, you can designate whether it produces energy, anti-creeper, ore, or other packets.
It takes energy to catalyze (start) the reactants and different amounts of energy to fuel the reaction until the final product is released. I figure since it creates strange matter that future resources should also be able to made in the reactor.
It can consume any packet type you wish and produce a packet type you want (or resource). Energy itself can be used as the reactant as well, at a high cost, or less packets and more energy can be used in a given reaction. The reactor would take a while to build and takes energy to maintain (the matter created is volatile, therefore energy shields are needed).
What do you guys think?