Started by knucracker, November 01, 2012, 11:56:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

lurkily

Quote from: Grauniad on December 01, 2012, 01:53:01 PM
Quote from: lurkily on December 01, 2012, 09:03:25 AMGran
???  That's new.
Graun . . . typo.  :/
Quote from: Chawe800 on December 01, 2012, 05:54:07 PM
I feel having an enemy that truly hates you is part of the design of the game Virgil created. I felt spores and drones were extremely malicious and truly tried to destroy you. But that's my own opinion and experience and as you said Lurkily "Of course, no two people experience the same events the same way, so all those reasons are entirely subjective."
Drones are the only thing that gave me the impression of directed threat, and to me, felt fundamentally different than any other threat in the CW universe. Even they did not act intelligently - their behavior was more like a swarm of bees, randomly lashing out at anything non-bee when the hive is disturbed, rather than acting intelligently.  But you're right that we've reached the end of where we can expand on the subject - at this point all we can do is reinforce that we disagree with each other.

So.  Ideas.  I want to see natural features on the map that, in the style of Total Annihilation, can be reclaimed.  Basically, I want to see natural map features have the optional properties of "Roma Victor" crystals.

inspiratieloos

Quote from: lurkily on December 01, 2012, 07:25:15 PMSo.  Ideas.  I want to see natural features on the map that, in the style of Total Annihilation, can be reclaimed.  Basically, I want to see natural map features have the optional properties of "Roma Victor" crystals.
Maybe introduce titan units that way? Instead of finding a blueprint you find the prototype, either inactive and not targeted by the creeper or having to get to it before creeper destroys it.

lurkily

Not like that - artifacts and escape pods are fine, sure.  I mean trees and mineral deposits, etc.  I mean, tech could work out that way, too, but that wasn't what I was trying to say.

In TA, you could reclaim plants and rocks and wrecks that were on the map to gather energy and metal from the map.  I'd like to see similar things as optional objectives, to reward aggressive play from the player - if the creeper reaches it, it's gone.

Alternately, the creeper might also "eat" those features to produce more creeper.

Twi

Hrm. Been a while since I've looked at this forum.

Seeing the new video has inspired me with something that's...completely unrelated to it. I mean, Virgil doesn't even use a single shield!

Anyways, this is the idea.

Shockwave / Force/Seismic Mine/Bomb/Bomber: Basically, this would be a payload that wouldn't actually destroy any Creeper or even Runners. What it would do is act like a short-lived shield and violently push Creeper away from itself. Since it's most likely an air-dropped mine/bomb, it would be very useful for delaying Creeper from a distance. In addition, it would tear up Digitalis in the immediate vicinity, further enhancing its ability to block off Creeper movement. Of course, loading ships full of Shockwave Bombs might not be so good for your energy storage... Alternatively, it could be placed as an individual mine to provide a relatively cheap way to defend against Creeper surges for short periods. Plus, it's a much more interesting kind of mine than the old mortar mines. On the other hand, this obviously doesn't let you drop it into Creeper, and more importantly, into Digitalis.

Quote from: inspiratieloos on December 02, 2012, 05:26:05 AM
Quote from: lurkily on December 01, 2012, 07:25:15 PMSo.  Ideas.  I want to see natural features on the map that, in the style of Total Annihilation, can be reclaimed.  Basically, I want to see natural map features have the optional properties of "Roma Victor" crystals.
Maybe introduce titan units that way? Instead of finding a blueprint you find the prototype, either inactive and not targeted by the creeper or having to get to it before creeper destroys it.

Both good ideas.
Currently watching: ARIA, Dog Days, and other unlikely things.
And some likely things, too!

Chawe800

This is a fairly random ideal but what if relay transmitted packets at half speed(collector speed) when in deficit. This would make Deficit more risky by reducing supplication powers mid-game. This could also be a unique quirk in early game by preventing some(not all) rapid expansion. I don't want to take away aggressiveness potential but make the Dance of Deficit more dangerous
"The optimist proclaims that we live in the best of all possible worlds; and the pessimist fears this is true." -James Branch Cabell

Twi

Quote from: Chawe800 on December 04, 2012, 06:43:39 PM
This is a fairly random ideal but what if relay transmitted packets at half speed(collector speed) when in deficit. This would make Deficit more risky by reducing supplication powers mid-game. This could also be a unique quirk in early game by preventing some(not all) rapid expansion. I don't want to take away aggressiveness potential but make the Dance of Deficit more dangerous

Personally, I think the Dance of Deficit is a vital part of aggressive gameplay.  :P

I would be interested if this was a time-delayed effect, though.
Currently watching: ARIA, Dog Days, and other unlikely things.
And some likely things, too!

lurkily

The whole purpose of relays (aside from distant connections) is to create fast-moving paths for packets to travel.  I could see slowing the speed of ALL packets, but just relays?

I'm unsure of this idea - after all, punishing a player who's already in deficit may just make it more difficult to recover.  I'd rather see things like various tech upgrades failing, than to see direct economic impacts.  (Yeah, I know some upgrades are, in themselves, economic.  But I'd rather see combat efficiency impacted, before economic efficiency.

Ronini

Quote from: lurkily on December 04, 2012, 07:20:47 PMpunishing a player who's already in deficit may just make it more difficult to recover.
I think that is the idea. Sounds promising. At least for some form of hard mode.

lurkily

For a casual game, making the results of a mistake so painful that a player might be inclined to restart the level instead of fight through and overcome sounds a bit harsh to me.

Chawe800

I don't mean to make it too painful of a time reduction on the rapid expansion side but more of an annoyance if you overbuild in the middle part of the game. I think I stronger military related punishment would serve nicely. Also this might just be me rambling but I feel a runner's stun should eat away some ammo in the weapon's fuel tank as well.
"The optimist proclaims that we live in the best of all possible worlds; and the pessimist fears this is true." -James Branch Cabell

lurkily

Quote from: Chawe800 on December 05, 2012, 07:07:21 PM
I don't mean to make it too painful of a time reduction on the rapid expansion side but more of an annoyance if you overbuild in the middle part of the game. I think I stronger military related punishment would serve nicely. Also this might just be me rambling but I feel a runner's stun should eat away some ammo in the weapon's fuel tank as well.
I just think that losing energy transport when you already don't have enough energy to transport is kind of a double threat.  You're already short on energy to distribute, and now it moves slower, too?

Shrike30

Targetable Sprayers
I'd like to see an option with Sprayers to "force attack" a location, letting me create a pool of Anticreeper in an area even if there's no Creeper present, without the imprecision and delays involved in using a bomber to do the same.  This would be akin to leaving a Maker running in CW2 even if it wasn't directly combating Creeper, primarily for the purposes of building up a giant pile of AC for later use, against anticipated incursion, or just for doing entertaining things like making moats of AC.

4xC

What makes it "targetable"? All I see is the sprayer making a large pool of AC for an upcoming attack, thus making it "defend/pile-able".
C,C,C,C

lurkily

Being able to force-attack would let you throw AC across void without using two sprayers or a sprayer/bomber.

Chawe800

I see this as a good idea to allow AC to be shot across small *small* voids with the sprayer. However what do you guys think about it's effectivness to shoot over cliffs?

Yes? No? personally I think no but I would like to hear other opinions.