CW3 custom audio?

Started by Creeperkingpin, October 31, 2012, 02:52:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Creeperkingpin

Hello. I was just wondering if it was a possibility to incorporate custom audio into the map editor for CW3, or if its already there?
Those who choose security over liberty deserve neither security nor liberty-Benjamin Franklin

Grauniad

No. There are too many issues with rights management for CW to distribute potentially protected music content.
A goodnight to all and to all a good night - Goodnight Moon

4xC

So why not make a whole bunch of tracks that outnumber the past ones? It just seems to me that even if the music is not custom, it could use some more epicness like that in some other strategy games.
C,C,C,C

TrickyDragon

V has to buy music like that, and the license is very expensive.   i know i dont have 10000 for a  music license
This is Life,  Life happens.

Creeperkingpin

you could add in that maps with custom audio wont go thru KC but the individual person can make his own maps with custom audio.
Those who choose security over liberty deserve neither security nor liberty-Benjamin Franklin

TrickyDragon

rights infringement unless it is a handmade song...
This is Life,  Life happens.

Grauniad

Quote from: Creeperkingpin on November 01, 2012, 08:06:22 PM
you could add in that maps with custom audio wont go thru KC but the individual person can make his own maps with custom audio.

Do you know many Creeper World players that have a license to distribute copyright-protected music? Do you know that the RIAA will prosecute the developer of software that facilitates the sharing of unlicensed music?  Ever heard of Napster?
A goodnight to all and to all a good night - Goodnight Moon

Creeperkingpin

yes, i have. and limewire and just about every torrent host out there. i know all about law relating to copyright and intellectual property. however its totally legal for me to add audio that ive purchased use of to a map that i have created for my own personal use so long as i dont spread that content to other people, and you can make a notice and legal agreement in the editor that you have to agree to stating you wont spread such content, and it then becomes totally legal.

CobraKill

As soon as it gets posted to Virgil's site it becomes spread. Even a done that was wrote and recorded by the mapmaker for the map could have problems. If the mapmaker puts the song on the map and posts it, Virgil now owns the map and maybe the song (?). Either way a lawsuit could filed against him over the song.

The best way to get custom music, open iTunes or Pandora, or something and play music from there. Also I'm sure Virgil is going to go with a much more vast variety of music in Game 3.
Never trust a computer that doesn't fit through your nearest window.

Nemoricus

Even if it's legal, that's only a protection *after* a court has determined it to be the case. Since Virgil doesn't have the time or resources to be tied up in a lawsuit, it's best for him to steer clear of the matter entirely.

Creeperkingpin

Maybe he could make it so the audio files for the CW engine are accessible thru windows explorer, kind of like how you can add music into the radio in the engine for GTA? That way you would only be able to alter your version of the game and not individual maps, making it impossible to spread the content. The maps wouldnt be altered at all if it was like that.

4xC

Quote from: Nemoricus on November 02, 2012, 03:19:34 AM
Even if it's legal, that's only a protection *after* a court has determined it to be the case. Since Virgil doesn't have the time or resources to be tied up in a lawsuit, it's best for him to steer clear of the matter entirely.

For the moment, I agree. This matter does seem to be more of a final touch addition.
C,C,C,C

Creeperkingpin

law wise it doesnt have to be approved by any courts or anything. you have your eterny draw up a legal agreement of an oath not to use it for copyright and intellectual property rights infringement and you make it a part of the games engine instead of the custom maps so V is protected from it because it wont be a part of the maps being uploaded it would instead be a part of the actual application installed on someones computer. end of story. if the guidelines i just put are followed there is zero chance of anything coming back on V and the company itself. its legally covering ones behind.

Nemoricus

The existence of such a thing would not necessarily deter someone from filing a suit anyway, even if the courts will ultimately side with Virgil on the matter. Since they're expensive, time consuming affairs, it really is better for Virgil to not do things that could get him sued.

lurkily

Quote from: Creeperkingpin on November 02, 2012, 08:11:56 AM
Maybe he could make it so the audio files for the CW engine are accessible thru windows explorer, kind of like how you can add music into the radio in the engine for GTA? That way you would only be able to alter your version of the game and not individual maps, making it impossible to spread the content. The maps wouldnt be altered at all if it was like that.
Integrate a midi or an MP3 player into the game itself? 

. . . . . it's a fancy tweak, but not really a highly useful one.  You can run MP3 and Midi players without doing it through the game.