CW 3:what do you think of the map?

Started by ashtoin, September 25, 2012, 11:47:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ashtoin

so what do you think of the mapping process(lol)(level mapping btw)

i myself think its gonna be a bit complicated,although since in a way you get unlimited saves.....

4xC

Complicated but worth it. The later a game in a series is, the more it has to live up to. And at this rate, mapwork is set to look like the primary new deal with CW3.
C,C,C,C

ashtoin

i agree,it does have alot to live up to.

4xC

Even more given the advent of digitalis.
C,C,C,C

Ronini

Creating the maps is probably the bulk of the things left to do before release. (Based on the last video).
Balancing will come with that and will have to be done for each map (at least the story maps) individually.

I'm not entirely sure if that's what you were talking about, though.

Chawe800

I think the new CW3 map editor will be very functional and practical for the User. (just look at the difference between CW1 map editor and CW2 map editor.) I really really hope I have an option to simulate the creep (and digitalis) Emitters produce without launching the file in my CW client.
"The optimist proclaims that we live in the best of all possible worlds; and the pessimist fears this is true." -James Branch Cabell

Nemoricus

CW2's editor gave you that capability, so it's likely that CW3's will have it as well.

Chawe800

Quote from: Nemoricus on November 07, 2012, 03:17:47 PM
CW2's editor gave you that capability, so it's likely that CW3's will have it as well.

I never got it to simulate how much creeper the actual emitter would produce.

Maybe I never just figured it out.  :P
"The optimist proclaims that we live in the best of all possible worlds; and the pessimist fears this is true." -James Branch Cabell

Michionlion

I don't think that map creation is the only thing left... If it was, we'd have been done a long time ago.
"Remember kids, the only difference between science and messing around is writing it down."
                                                                                                                         - Adam Savage

My website
My CW1, and CW2 maps!

Chawe800

Quote from: Michionlion on November 07, 2012, 06:00:33 PM
I don't think that map creation is the only thing left... If it was, we'd have been done a long time ago.

Well yea I think there is plenty more things left for Virgil to do besides the map editor but I'm just giving a suggestion now.

Ronini

You would know better than me. I just thought the core game looked rather complete in the last video. But then how am I to know how well implemented all the (for now) secret features are, yet.
Your post implies that the vast number of scripted story missions are done by now. Somehow, I don't think that is what you ment to say. Since I do hope that it will be these that introduce new features and can therefore be only created when these features are there.

Michionlion

Quote from: Ronini on November 08, 2012, 01:41:46 AM

You would know better than me. I just thought the core game looked rather complete in the last video. But then how am I to know how well implemented all the (for now) secret features are, yet.
Your post implies that the vast number of scripted story missions are done by now. Somehow, I don't think that is what you ment to say. Since I do hope that it will be these that introduce new features and can therefore be only created when these features are there.

You are correct - no story missions are done yet, as far as I know.
"Remember kids, the only difference between science and messing around is writing it down."
                                                                                                                         - Adam Savage

My website
My CW1, and CW2 maps!

4xC

If there are none yet, then  it just goes to show how big of a virtue patience is.

I do wonder though how many story levels there will be. As there have been 20 for each of the others, I think there ought to be at least a little more. With these varieties for the CW3 map setup and creator software, anyone would think that there would be more of something that did not exist in the past games.
C,C,C,C

Ronini

I doubt there will be much more than 20. With the open-world-like star map and random maps thrown in between the story missions, there's  plenty to do in between that is not directly story related. (You could place story missions systems three systems apart, for instance, to make the story go longer) So story missions (as I understand the distinction) are really only required to introduce new techs and to further the plot. Furthering the plot to some extend can also be done by short dialogues at the start/end of random missions. So, unless there are much more features and techs to be introduced, 20 story missions would be quite enough.

I'm just stating what could be done. I do like the story missions of 1 and 2 and I would be more than happy if there will be more than 20 of these in 3.

Grauniad

The strength and popularity of the Creeper World franchise is not related to the number of story-line planets, but rather to the community making a much larger number of maps.
A goodnight to all and to all a good night - Goodnight Moon