Release Date???

Started by Daniel.Drache, August 12, 2012, 03:00:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Grauniad

A goodnight to all and to all a good night - Goodnight Moon

ryk421

I can't wait, especially anxious to see how the blend together elements of both previous games :D

Grauniad

Quote from: ryk421 on October 26, 2012, 09:41:36 AM
I can't wait, especially anxious to see how the blend together elements of both previous games :D

I don't see much carryover from CW2.  Mostly the game returns to its roots as a top-down map with topology and a network-based energy system.  Nicer graphics, larger maps and better performance stands out. New enemies/strategies are starting to appear and the gameplay is on a much larger scale with less restrictions on energy.

The only carry-over from CW2 is probably anti-creeper.
A goodnight to all and to all a good night - Goodnight Moon

4xC

And subcategories for what to build and nullifiers plus multiple structures for the creeper. Those technically count as carry-overs and then there are some others that I can't name just yet.
C,C,C,C

lurkily

There are a lot of items that could be said to carry over, like terraforming, but save for some rare elements like AC, all of the real fundamentals of gameplay are original CW.

RedVenom

also the possibility to push creeper back without harm is similar to cw2

lurkily

Quote from: RedVenom on October 26, 2012, 10:29:33 PM
also the possibility to push creeper back without harm is similar to cw2
You mean shields?  I wouldn't really call that a fundamental.

4xC

True, it's more like a common bonus.
C,C,C,C

Ronini

Is there any information on a release date being narrowed down or are we still at the "When it's done, it's done, hopefully before the end of the year"-stage?
If the second should be the case, how probable is it, that we will see CW3 before New Year's Eve?

Chawe800

We're still in the when it is done it is done phase.  We are all anticipating cw3 my prediction is early match late February.
"The optimist proclaims that we live in the best of all possible worlds; and the pessimist fears this is true." -James Branch Cabell

Michionlion

If i had to estimate, I'd actually put it early January.  But you never know what new idea or old problem is going to make it later....
"Remember kids, the only difference between science and messing around is writing it down."
                                                                                                                         - Adam Savage

My website
My CW1, and CW2 maps!

lurkily

My method of estimation is to take the coder's prediction, and add 50% to the time required.  So each time he says "by the end of the year", my estimate grows a little closer to that actual prediction.  That is usually not too far off the mark when reasonable delays crop up, and if they ARE on time, well, I get to be pleasantly surprised.

So . . . anybody recall when he last stated that goal?

Chawe800

Virgil said in the blog he hoped to release CW3 by the end of 2012 on March 29. So roughly 9 months was his due date. According to your algorithm Lurkily CW3 will be released mid-april. Now you said it gets closer every time so if the end of the year is in a month then you predict mid-January?

Too bad this is highly unlikely but it's be cool to release CW3 on December 21, 2012 the day the Mayan civilization was set to be reborn. (even though they're were off on their predictions making the 'doom date' happen in like 2008 or something)

... I ramble huh?
"The optimist proclaims that we live in the best of all possible worlds; and the pessimist fears this is true." -James Branch Cabell

lurkily

That Mayan 'Prediction' is more like the calendar ending at December, only on a grander scale.  The idea that they did not believe there would be anything coming after has been debunked.  It is also contrary to the Mayan concept of time as having no beginning and no end.(J. Eric S. Thompson, Maya Hieroglyphic Writing, p. 149)

We are only in the twelfth cycle of the Mayan 'Long Count' calendar, used for their historical record keeping.  When it ends, another will just begin, and being base-20, there are eight more before it 'turns over'. Like a car's odometer, which returns to zero when reaching 999,999.99 miles, the Mayan calendars all 'turned over' when they reached their end.  And, like Mayan Calendars, cars do not explode when their odometer turns over.

There are known, verified Mayan prophecies far in our future.  For instance, the king of Palenque, K'inich Hanaab Pakal, is also supposed to return to earth a couple thousand years from now.

Someone

any news about the release?