Release Date???

Started by Daniel.Drache, August 12, 2012, 03:00:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

4xC

You mean where customers can buy the beta version of CW3? Sounds interesting.
C,C,C,C

Duomaxwel

Exactly. They (Minecraft and Kerbal) both put the game out for a little cheaper months and months ahead of full release. For CW I would pay full price if it means I could play it sooner and then be able to give a little input. This also helped on release day because those who really want it would already have it.

Michionlion

Yeah, I don't think that Virgil wants to change his dev plan, I think that he already has things worked out.
"Remember kids, the only difference between science and messing around is writing it down."
                                                                                                                         - Adam Savage

My website
My CW1, and CW2 maps!

Chawe800

Currently Virgil is only making his game purchasable on the release date of his choice

Don't we all really want it :P
"The optimist proclaims that we live in the best of all possible worlds; and the pessimist fears this is true." -James Branch Cabell

RedVenom

I would even pay a bit more if that means I can play it now instead of "in some month"

4xC

If there was a way to prove that some of us can keep a secret, I would ask for the maps that have already been built and pay for a fraction of the released game price for them. Heck, I would be a secret tester and submit everything everyone else missed to Virgil.
C,C,C,C

Chawe800

This is why I think a kickstarter style funding would bode really well. We love Creeper World Virgil let us throw money at you!
"The optimist proclaims that we live in the best of all possible worlds; and the pessimist fears this is true." -James Branch Cabell

lurkily

Personally, I view things like kickstarter as unprofessional.  They're fine for indie groups who don't have the backing - if you can market a kickstarter project well enough to get the game made, then that's great. 

But V's got the resources to release a polished, professional product in a polished, professional way, and has demonstrated that he can successfully market a product.  I'd feel much differently about seeing such a dev on kickstarter with a tin cup, than I would about seeing an indie dev's first project funded by kickstarter.

Chawe800

Quote from: lurkily on October 23, 2012, 05:24:11 PM
Personally, I view things like kickstarter as unprofessional.  They're fine for indie groups who don't have the backing - if you can market a kickstarter project well enough to get the game made, then that's great. 

But V's got the resources to release a polished, professional product in a polished, professional way, and has demonstrated that he can successfully market a product.  I'd feel much differently about seeing such a dev on kickstarter with a tin cup, than I would about seeing an indie dev's first project funded by kickstarter.

We don't have to use a platform similar to Kickstarter.

I just want for us to have a way to throw money at Virgil help make the game a little better.

I really don't think Virgil would consider himself to posh and fancy to take some extra money from the horde of loving fans.

Think of it as contributing to making the game better and and assists him. I think you can see this is a tight knit die-hard community that just want to make this game better.

Nemoricus

Kickstarter is no tin cup in my view. People who back a project are expecting to get something in return, and that is a finished, quality product. In this sense, it's a fancy preorder, with a big side dish of early marketing.

It's also a way for fans to buy in at the level they want to, rather than only getting a one-size fits all deal at the end. A fan can choose to pay more than the minimum for the game, and in return they get more out of it.

In addition, it's a good way to gauge interest in the game. If you can get a group of people excited about it early, and excited enough to put money down, the better your prospects are at launch.

One last thing: I actually prefer to see a developer with a track record of good work on Kickstarter. Someone with their first project is going to be scrutinized very carefully, while if Virgil were to go on it, I'd support him without a second thought, since I know he's going to make a good product.

Duomaxwel

Quote from: lurkily on October 23, 2012, 05:24:11 PM

You don't HAVE to opt in early if you don't want to.  This is just a way for some fans to get an early version of the game.

lurkily

Not saying he should consider himself above it.  Yes, Kickstarter gives back, when the developers or engineers follow through or make their funding goals.  But to me, asking for money before you have a product is something I can only respect if you do NOT have the resources to go from production to release.

Granted, there are projects I'm willing to donate to, whether or not I get a copy of the game out of it.  It's all a matter of how it's solicited, though.  

MadMag

Chawe800

Quote from: MadMag on October 25, 2012, 02:43:00 AM
No

No what? (I ca be a little clueless at times)

No to the entire donate for perks theroy?

Or something like No towards Lurkily post.

Also does V ever think about some Creeper World merchanidse?

J

Quote from: Chawe800 on October 25, 2012, 02:29:46 PM
Also does V ever think about some Creeper World merchanidse?
I think there already is a CW T-shirt, just look around at the cw page
EDIT: can't find it...