Tucana Walkthrough Video

Started by knucracker, December 05, 2009, 09:44:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

knucracker

There have been lots of questions about Tucana... and lots of google seaches for "Tucana" as well....
So I thought I'd show folks how I play it.  There may be a quicker way, but this certainly a sure fire way.

Tucana (as much of Creeper World) is about management of what you have... more is not always better.  In fact, 'more' can get you killed in Creeper World.

In this video, note how I secure a central area with only two mortars.  These mortars are more than enough to get the job done.  Then note how I go after the corners with minimal resources.  Two blasters acting as partners... one provides covering fire while the other advances.  For three out of the four corners, I use a mortar to accelerate the process.

My total time to completion is 13 minutes and change.  Once you master Tucana, your skills will crave even harder maps (like some of the gems in the Custom Maps section of the web site).

Aurzel

nice video, you forgot about your second mortar when you were making the push to the last emitter, coulda shaved around 10 seconds off your time lol
i'm impressed by how you can go through the whole level without pausing once, most levels i have to pause at several points to organise where i'm building things, and personally i'm a little more defensive when i push my blasters forward, great walkthrough

Tero

Impressive!  I moved Odin City down between the lower left crater and the lower mesa.  Added two Blasters and two Mortars to the edge of the city.  As I built out and starvation became a major problem.  I disarmed a third Mortar.  Allowed it to fully charge.
Moved the Mortar to another Mesa and then allowed it to fire.  Repeatedly, swapping charged Mortars for depleted ones, I was able to expand and conquer.  But your way is really good.
I respect those who quote me the least.

knucracker

Here's a walkthrough I just saw on youtube that somebody did for the Chess Special Ops mission:

Jiinia

not a really good job on energy management.

Aurzel

i agree, but i do aplaud the sense of symmetry, even i'm not such a stickler for it, i definately would blow stuff up for it

Jiinia

Aurzel

Kamron3

I prefer symmetry as well. It makes it look like I am getting moar done. =o

Aurzel

i wont play the game for symmetry but i will make things symmetrical if it wont hinder my gameplay

Phil

Gah, I didn't notice you could put two mortars in the middle upraised parts - on my third go I realised you had to hold the middle with only 2 mortars initially, but I kept moving them between two pools each... virgilw's way would've saved a bit of hassle.  Apart from that, my way was very similar, surprisingly!  Seems I must be doing something right!  ;)

And I prefer symmetry too, but I wouldn't fuss over it if I'm in a tight situation  :-\

knucracker

Nothing wrong with doing the old mortar shuffle....  there are some maps where that can be an optimal strategy.
Hmmm, I wonder if it is possible to play Tucana with only _one_ mortar and shuffle it right and left.  Probably isn't really worth it, but I may give that a try to see if it is possible.

Phil

ElderKingpin

i think he did symmetry because of that 20 extra energy you get right in the beginning, thats a huge opportunity to do collectors in a really short amount of time.
I am the ultimate lurker.

Why? I joined in 2009. And i have less than 15 posts. Booyah.

Karsten75

Quote from: virgilw on December 05, 2009, 09:44:53 PM
There have been lots of questions about Tucana... and lots of google seaches for "Tucana" as well....
So I thought I'd show folks how I play it.  There may be a quicker way, but this certainly a sure fire way.

Tucana (as much of Creeper World) is about management of what you have... more is not always better.  In fact, 'more' can get you killed in Creeper World.

In this video, note how I secure a central area with only two mortars.  These mortars are more than enough to get the job done.  Then note how I go after the corners with minimal resources.  Two blasters acting as partners... one provides covering fire while the other advances.  For three out of the four corners, I use a mortar to accelerate the process.

My total time to completion is 13 minutes and change.  Once you master Tucana, your skills will crave even harder maps (like some of the gems in the Custom Maps section of the web site).

Thnx for this, it really got me on the way. Nover suffered another defeat after I watched this vid.