Creeper World 3 Suggestions Initiative

Started by Mr.H, May 04, 2012, 12:51:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shrike30

Quote from: lurkily on October 26, 2012, 07:21:10 AMI was responding in part to this:
Ah, okay.
Quote from: Mr.H on October 26, 2012, 11:32:28 AMThe space elevator sounds intresting, but the cross-mission benefits nullify the game in my opinion. Perhaps if it only gave an advantage at that moment, and allowed you to receive an extra supply of packets as though you have another command centre. It would be easikly destructible, tall thing, creeper gets it. So if it got hit by creeper it could 'fall' and cause some sort of epic explosion(making defence of it vital, and balancing the extra packets out nicely). The benefit of it allows you to boost your resource network, cut down travel times(network increase), and have 'one more command centre' that is immobile. It's up to virgil whether it could have some other intresting features... perhaps allowing cheaper flight.

Essentially, you're proposing constructible Command Posts, whose resource processing happens in orbit rather than on the ground?  Sounds good to me; on the truly huge maps, being limited to three CPs could be a problem.  I'd rather see the option to simply build another Command Post if you really need one, if this incarnation of a Space Elevator is basically "CP with a couple of bonuses."

In some situations where a Space Elevator might be damaged or destroyed, it's been depicted as essentially being a hundreds-of-miles-long whip that slams into the ground on the antispinward side of the groundside anchor site, as the break is usually depicted as being fairly far up the elevator (the book Red Mars has a scene like this).  In CW, however, the destruction of a Space Elevator would likely involve the destruction of the groundside anchor site itself (as it gets overwhelmed with Creeper) which would probably result in the orbital component of the elevator slingshotting off into space as it's center of gravity is now above the point of maintaining geosynchronous orbit.  It'd be a bit of a navigation hazard, certainly, but unlikely to be something that could be represented on the map.

4xC, I'm not sure if you were serious or joking with the Stargate/Farscape/Starcraft references (regarding "plagiarism," the term Star Gate has been used in dozens of works of fiction, one more use wouldn't exactly be an issue).  I like the idea of digitalis serving as a "slippery" or "wicking" surface for creeper, causing creeper to travel faster along it and do things like go up slopes or cross the gaps between asteroids, which seems like it'd be pretty similar to your Digitalis Network.  If Digitalis growing over "unclaimed" power sites in the middle of the map caused Emitters or Spore Towers to gestate there, it'd add some reason to disrupt digitalis early on in the game.

lurkily

Some things (Like the word network) cannot be said to be someone's intellectual property.  For that reason, I don't think 4xC's use of 'network' can ever be protected as a derivative work, regardless of the fact that it actually is derived from someone else's IP.

Seriously, people . . . who cares what it's called?  If our wonderful concept called the "Pepsi Missile" violates copyrights, we'll just call it something else.

inspiratieloos

Quote from: lurkily on October 25, 2012, 04:26:28 PM
Quote from: inspiratieloos on October 25, 2012, 02:18:37 PM
Quote from: Shrike30 on October 22, 2012, 06:16:06 PM

Space Elevator
Why not allow the space elevator to put anything in a drop pod? Dropping a number of PCs or mortars also seems useful, especially in a map where you don't have a lot of space, but need a large assault force to get anywhere.
You can already move PC's and mortars to any location, and AC via bombers . . . what do you intend to drob via drop pods that you can't just order to move there?

EDIT: Or bomb/guppy there?
Three reasons that I can think of:
1. If you're on a small island and just don't have the space to build a lot of units for an assault because you need everything to defend your position and generate the energy for the defenders.
2. In case a position gets overrun and you can't wait a minute for units to move there it is useful if you have some reserves that can deploy anywhere within a second, or if you've overlooked a part of your network that is susceptible to spore attack.
3. Timing your units perfectly is much easier if they all arrive at exactly the second you want them to instead of having to make estimates based on travel speed and distance (of course any player that really wants to could do this by hand, but some people are lazy).

The first two have definitely happened to me before in CW1 and I'm sure I've had some failed assaults that would have ended better if I had timed my units right.

It's not going to be useful on every map, it probably won't be that useful on most, but that should go for all titan units.

Shrike30

On the note of timing, I'd like to see an option (kind of like Formation Move from CW2) for when you've got several units selected called Formation Flight; all of the units would travel at the same speed, that of the slowest unit in the group, rather than having to time the launching of your various assaulters to arrive simultaneously (and maybe finding yourself juggling the units over the LZ until everyone arrives).

lurkily

For 1, terraform. 

For 2 and 3, I dunno, I always got a rush of awesome from making the timing work - or from bringing a doomed forward base back from destruction.

Ghost_of_RAZGRIZ

I want Creeper World 3 to be on BETA and online too. It'll be fun if we fight the Creepers together online .Put it on Facebook and it'll be popular :)

Chawe800

Quote from: Ghost_of_RAZGRIZ on October 27, 2012, 03:43:52 PM
I want Creeper World 3 to be on BETA and online too. It'll be fun if we fight the Creepers together online .Put it on Facebook and it'll be popular :)

V is not going to make beta public
In order to get into beta you must be an active and contributing forum poster for a steady timeframe. Also he has to select you

Creeper World 3 isn't really the game that works that well with online multiplayer. (it just doesn't really work you're fighting the creeper) (maybe each person has their own command post and they can share energy)

Facebook isn't the only thing people use :P But we do appreciate any advertising you do RAZGRIZ
"The optimist proclaims that we live in the best of all possible worlds; and the pessimist fears this is true." -James Branch Cabell

inspiratieloos

Quote from: lurkily on October 27, 2012, 03:03:46 PM
For 1, terraform. 

For 2 and 3, I dunno, I always got a rush of awesome from making the timing work - or from bringing a doomed forward base back from destruction.
1. That.... Is a very good point.
2 and 3. Orbital dropping also gives a 'rush of awesome'

Quote from: Chawe800 on October 27, 2012, 04:29:31 PM
Quote from: Ghost_of_RAZGRIZ on October 27, 2012, 03:43:52 PM

Creeper World 3 isn't really the game that works that well with online multiplayer. (it just doesn't really work you're fighting the creeper) (maybe each person has their own command post and they can share energy)
I think it would work pretty well with network multiplayer and/or multiplayer by invite. The coordination required would be too much to play with random anonymous people.
You'd still be at a disadvantage to playing alone, but the fun factor is important too.

lurkily

Quote from: inspiratieloos on October 28, 2012, 07:37:32 AM
Quote from: lurkily on October 27, 2012, 03:03:46 PM
For 1, terraform. 

1. That.... Is a very good point.
2 and 3. Orbital dropping also gives a 'rush of awesome'
The dropping of a random few blasters, compared to a successful strike involving strafers to cut off digitalis, bombers to forge a brief safe zone, and the landing of a mixed force of blasters and mortars and guppies, with every unit timed to arrive at about the same time?

I don't know, maybe it's me - I just feel the most rewarded when I do something challenging.  Orbital stuff is the kind of thing I feel should be reserved for superweapons, and moving a few units faster just doesn't feel super.
QuoteI think it would work pretty well with network multiplayer and/or multiplayer by invite. The coordination required would be too much to play with random anonymous people.
You'd still be at a disadvantage to playing alone, but the fun factor is important too.
The only real solution would be to use larger maps and forbid sharing across each individual's networks.  That gives up a tremendous potential advantage, but weighed against the difficulty of managing of resources, or accidentally draining an ally's energy because you landed a blaster too close to their network, it may be necessary.

The problem is, larger maps also hit a performance issue for some players.

Chawe800

Here's an idea:

Digitalis Cannon
Spoiler
This is a cannon used by the creeper. It is constructed out of digitalis and it has a current designated range. Once it's finished constructing It will shoot digitalis at Digitalis designated zones reinforcing it. This could be used to create Digitalis beachheads pressuring your base more. This could also be used to reinforce any Digitalis you may be fighting. This could also serve as some sort of digitalis healer of some sort. It has a very similar functions to the beam cannon. To destroy it I think you can eventually shoot the Digitalis it has on it to destroy it but it can be rebuilt if you get pushed back more. It could have various variables in the Map editor that you can change to increase firing rate, amount of Digitalis, Range, and how much digitalis it takes to make it/destroy it. It does not give a power-zone when destroyed. Also if the path of Digitalis connected to it is cut It can deactivate almost.
[close]

I just feel with the grid like Digitalis brought into the mix a Digitalis shooting Cannon would work nice.
"The optimist proclaims that we live in the best of all possible worlds; and the pessimist fears this is true." -James Branch Cabell

4xC

I would personally prefer a digitalis-made cannon that shoots creeper.

This also gives me an idea for a beetle option: hold position and fire AC from long range. Maybe send it to eat digitalis and destroy it from within itself. Again, maybe make the Beetle go underground (but this time, possibly make it go slower if it does, and on a limited distance (make it resurface or be destroyed if it is underneath for too long)). Also maybe make it detonate AC while underground.
C,C,C,C

Chawe800

So maybe a large movable Anti Creeper shooting cannon. Yea I like that idea.

But making it really slow would be something I would find necessary.

and Maybe you're only allowed to make 2 per mission.

4xC

I second the limited amount motion and slowness would compensate for the potential power of the unit. Maybe something on the good unit side needs to have a space bridge builder.
C,C,C,C

Chawe800

Quote from: 4xC on October 29, 2012, 03:05:08 PM
I second the limited amount motion and slowness would compensate for the potential power of the unit. Maybe something on the good unit side needs to have a space bridge builder.

I'm pretty sure terps should be able to do that.

(can anyone confirm or deny this?)

TrickyDragon

the void is void, nothing can change that as far as V has told  us
This is Life,  Life happens.