Creeper World 3 Suggestions Initiative

Started by Mr.H, May 04, 2012, 12:51:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Grauniad

Dear Tornado, it's not that your suggestions are ignored, more that they are either difficult to understand or difficult to implement.
A goodnight to all and to all a good night - Goodnight Moon

teknotiss

manually set weapon fire rates might be useful for low energy maps.
ie setting launcher type weapons to 75% or 50% power, when faced with fast but shallow creeper, could make more efficient energy use possible on low energy maps. with blasters holding back creeper i sometimes see "wasted" launcher shots that would require way more micro management per weapon than i can be bothered to put in.
just a thought  8)
"Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent.... Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent.... Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil?.... Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God?" --- Epicurus

Chawe800

I personally would love to see the Spores get a massive overhaul.

Spore Guardian
Spoiler
This is a Powerful Anti Air unit produced by Spore towers (or some other special tower) that can deploy creep bombs on your base. This ship like unit would follow a designated flying path (or the Drone pathing system) and can drop little bombs of creeper or shoot small shots of creeper at the player's weapons. This unit is designed to be a fairly troublesome unit as it can fly around and sometimes cut off parts of your base. I see beams as an excellent defense but I would expect mortars to be able to deal powerful damage to this beast. Another great utilization for this would be for it to shoot spores at you where you'd need beams to shoot down the spores it fires. This could also be implemented as solid boss idea.
[close]

(Just joined the forums I love creeper world so much and want to help make CW3 incredible)
"The optimist proclaims that we live in the best of all possible worlds; and the pessimist fears this is true." -James Branch Cabell

4xC

Quote from: teknotiss on September 26, 2012, 05:06:33 PM
ie setting launcher type weapons to 75% or 50% power, when faced with fast but shallow creeper, could make more efficient energy use possible on low energy maps. with blasters holding back creeper i sometimes see "wasted" launcher shots that would require way more micro management per weapon than i can be bothered to put in.
just a thought  8)

So just disarm or disconnect the launchers until the creeper thickens a little more. And add more blasters. In this case, just add more pulse cannons and whatever mortars you already have should be disarmed or disconnected.
C,C,C,C

teknotiss

Quote from: 4xC on September 26, 2012, 06:54:22 PM
just a thought  8)

So just disarm or disconnect the launchers until the creeper thickens a little more. And add more blasters. In this case, just add more pulse cannons and whatever mortars you already have should be disarmed or disconnected.

did you miss the part where i said it was to save the player from micro managing EVERY launcher etc???
"Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent.... Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent.... Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil?.... Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God?" --- Epicurus

Nemoricus

Setting a fire rate for each weapon is also micromanaging them.

In any case, the best solution to the problem of overkill would be to simply disarm them as 4xC suggested. CW3 has group select, so you could do this for multiple units at once.

Mr.H

Anyone noticed the new 'titan' units like the Bertha? Let's see if we can try suggesting some more :D . Also suggestions added.

TSPD(Time & Space Phase Disruptor)
This is a utility titan weapon that allows the user to instantly transport a single unit anywhere in the map. This allows for quick response to far away situations, however it is limited to one unit and requires a long recharge and quite a bit of energy. For a less large energy cost it can also instantly transport air units to designated locations, thus increasing your air network's speed(it allows roughly 3 air units in before it need a recharge). The player can manually designate it's options and target location. You can also select if it auto-calculates unit movement to use it as a shortcut or not. It occupies 3x3 cells (9 cells) and the unit is transported when it completely enters the central cell.

Good evening/morning/night/afternoon
You are now reading my signature...
Stop reading IT!

4xC

Quote from: teknotiss on September 27, 2012, 10:11:46 AM
did you miss the part where i said it was to save the player from micro managing EVERY launcher etc???

No I did NOT miss it. I said to use the disarm and/or disconnect feature so that the weapons can either keep all weapon energy stored or use up their ammo but not get resupplied by the packet-producing Base Cores (that's one thing I call Odin City, the Liberation Ship, and the Command Node all together). You could even just deactivate some or all them all at once so they neither resupply nor fire.

Besides, you are able to make groups with number names in CW2 so who's to say you can't do that in 3?
C,C,C,C

Lord_Farin

Quote from: teknotiss on September 27, 2012, 10:11:46 AM

I do not see why the game should be made easier for people caring enough to have the desire of managing their fire rates - which in the end is also micromanagement. Micromanagement is one of the most important features of any RTS game. I wouldn't want it any other way (except sometimes when I notice I have wasted a lot of time and resources to go down by lack of attention).
Of course, you are free to suggest things, but IMHO this particular suggestion would detract from the gameplay, eventually making people lazy and letting them get away with it. You want a good score, you have to MM better than others. That's just how it works.
Behold, Nexus! Looketh skywards, for thy obliteration thence nighs, my foul enemy!

Chawe800

Decided to try my own Titan suggestion.

Orbital Laser Transmissioner
Spoiler
This powerful titan is one of if not the most powerful titan in the game but requires insane amounts of energy. After constructing this laser device you charge it (charging should be like the cost of a lesser titan like bertha) Once fully charged you draw a curved line on the map and Transmissioner shoots some small powerful high beam laser which bounces off a satellite and cuts a massive path annihilating the creeper (similar to a DB except it's only usable once every like 9 minutes and takes up a ridiculous amount of power)This satellite thing could be something you find off of one of the planets permanently allowing you to use this satellite for this devastating attack. Also it has a big explosion  :)
[close]
"The optimist proclaims that we live in the best of all possible worlds; and the pessimist fears this is true." -James Branch Cabell

lurkily

just a thought  8)
Honestly?  I think intelligent use of launchers is a better solution.  Place them tactically to access deeper creeper.  If this is impossible, you probably never needed them in the first place.  Mainly, I don't like the idea because it skews the 'fairness' of the network energy distribution, and while it looks benign at first glance, it has effects that cascade through every area of the game that requires packets from the network.

EDIT: I really don't think I'd use this . . . I usually stack blasters so that some fire hard, while others need to fire less, and can stockpile ammo . . . I don't think I'd ever want to actively limit their firing potential.

Quote from: Lord_Farin on September 27, 2012, 05:55:07 PMMicromanagement is one of the most important features of any RTS game. I wouldn't want it any other way (except sometimes when I notice I have wasted a lot of time and resources to go down by lack of attention).
I respectfully disagree.  Micromanagement is a critical component of many games, but it doesn't have to be the foundation of it.  Look at Supreme commander for an example of a game which cuts out many traditional micro aspects, and is still successful.

It's my opinion that any opportunity to reduce micromanagement should be examined seriously.  If the game requires micromanagement to keep the player engaged, then the game designer hasn't spent enough time on making the game's core mechanics fun. (Unless micro itself is the core mechanic . . . which is fine, but not a game I generally like to play.)

Chawe800

QuoteI respectfully disagree.  Micromanagement is a critical component of many games, but it doesn't have to be the foundation of it.  Look at Supreme commander for an example of a game which cuts out many traditional micro aspects, and is still successful.

It's my opinion that any opportunity to reduce micromanagement should be examined seriously.  If the game requires micromanagement to keep the player engaged, then the game designer hasn't spent enough time on making the game's core mechanics fun. (Unless micro itself is the core mechanic . . . which is fine, but not a game I generally like to play.)
Take Starcraft 2 for example it uses a solid balance of micro and macro and unit strategies. This game appeals to casual players with some strategy of unit composition and abilities while appealing heavily to hardcore players taking it to the next level with precise micro and insane macro abilities. Do you know how many professional Starcraft 2 stuff there is it's crazy.

I personally find unit composition and military style flanking and positioning to appeal to me more but I don't mind a little micro (i'm not crazy about it either though)

4xC

In any case, obviously any RTS game must not be too hard, but challenging enough to glue itself to our minds. Since there is also now a matter of micro v. military, perhaps humanity (provided it is in CW3) could be in the battlefield more directly now.

The weapons are more advanced than the past 2 games' weapons and now that we have flying units with what look like human's cockpits, maybe this one posdsibly way they can fight directly without auto-weapons.Otherwise, the design of the CN and the Mothership would have to look like they could house humans inside to a high degree since time has passed and new advancements have come. If the humans were in the fight but out of the CN and MS, this is my initial though as to how they could be.

For now, I take it the strafers, bombers, and guppies are all on auto-pilot even though they have human's cockpits?
C,C,C,C

cooltv27

I dont like micro, for a long period of time at least, its the main reason I havnt beaten the last level of cw2, aim db, next frame, re-aim db, next frame repeat, yawn
though in some cases its fun, ok so if I do this I starve my self and die but if I dont get it up fast enough I get overwhelmed and die so I have to balance it
uh oh here comes the creeper, QUICK GET SOME BLASTERS READY! wait, wait, wai, FIRE! IM ON FIRE! NO, NO, NO, GET AWA (the rest was taken by the creeper, taken back and eaten)
I has a youtube channel youtube.com/user/cooltv27

teknotiss

Quote from: lurkily on September 27, 2012, 07:07:17 PM
just a thought  8)
Honestly?  I think intelligent use of launchers is a better solution.  Place them tactically to access deeper creeper.  If this is impossible, you probably never needed them in the first place.  Mainly, I don't like the idea because it skews the 'fairness' of the network energy distribution, and while it looks benign at first glance, it has effects that cascade through every area of the game that requires packets from the network.

EDIT: I really don't think I'd use this . . . I usually stack blasters so that some fire hard, while others need to fire less, and can stockpile ammo . . . I don't think I'd ever want to actively limit their firing potential.

so becasue you don't like the idea of my suggestion then no-one should have access to it?
seems a little controlling.
after all if the fire rate option was available YOU don't have to use it, do you?
odd how so many jump on this suggestion as bad, since it is a suggestions forum i put it here for the developers to read and act on or not as they choose, not for a pointless discussion by people who have little say in the development process. if you don't like my suggestion that's fine, but it just seems strange to fill this forum with your views on it, or any other suggestions.
as the OP Mr H said in the first place
Quote from: Mr.H on May 04, 2012, 12:51:48 AM
Please refrain from leaving any replies other then suggestions for the game unless absolutely necessary, cheers ;) .
(btw i felt this was necessary to try to reduce the unnecessary posts in this thread  ;) )

(edit cos i can't spell today for some reason)