Creeper World 3 Suggestions Initiative

Started by Mr.H, May 04, 2012, 12:51:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tornado

how about a pad thing which can rais and lower things to your will.
Now CEO of Particular Endeavors. http://knucklecracker.com/forums/index.php?topic=23752.new#new
We apologize for all inconveniences that we caused.
Quotefirst, you have to imagine a very big box, fitting inside a very samll box.
then, you have to build one

4xC

We already have flying units, so what good would that do?

Also, decayable gorund is nice, but since we can terrafrom ground, why shouldn't the creeper bea able to do the same to some extent or another?
C,C,C,C

Mr.H

Quote from: 4xC on September 23, 2012, 07:25:53 PM
We already have flying units, so what good would that do?

Also, decayable gorund is nice, but since we can terrafrom ground, why shouldn't the creeper bea able to do the same to some extent or another?
Em wat... that's exactly what decayble ground is ... the ability for creeper to 'terraform' to some extent.
Good evening/morning/night/afternoon
You are now reading my signature...
Stop reading IT!

4xC

Decayable ground can only be destroyed. By allowing the creeper's side to terraform as I described, it could do everything our terps do. not being able to alter ground with AC on it like terps can't alter ground with Creeper on it.

Also, I know that it is next-to-impossible that my imagined creeper "worm" will be integrated into CW3, but in case it ever gets implemented into the series at all, whether it will be invisible while underground or leave a trail of excavated terrain along its path remains in question to me.

That reminds me, are the alpha makers trying to allow or trying to avoid air units to take damage in flight? I saw some stuff about the subject, but I got confused as to whether or not we are aiming to enable air units take damage while flying. and why don't AETs leave PZs behind?
C,C,C,C

Wheatmidge

I don't like the idea of the creeper building, Creeper is only supposed to destroy.

4xC

True, but maybe at this point in the storyline, the creeper will have learned to make use of terraforming the way we do. After all, the spore towers bloom before activating which shows a sign of growth and building is technically a form of growth.
C,C,C,C

Mr.H

Quote from: Wheatmidge on September 25, 2012, 10:59:48 AM
I don't like the idea of the creeper building, Creeper is only supposed to destroy.
I agree, decaying is another form of destruction and it serves very well to counter terra-forming.
Good evening/morning/night/afternoon
You are now reading my signature...
Stop reading IT!

4xC

How does it serve very well to it? All-destructive forces in general may need to learn at late points in time to adjust their priorities to counter larger threats than undestroyed ground. After all, units that require a line of sight may need this if they need to have another weakness to balance things out. That is only in the event that the line of sight units need to be weakened to balance it out.

By the way, shouldn't the terp require a line of sight too since they use straight beams to work on ground? Otherwise, they would shoot their terraforming beams through higher ground inbetween them.
C,C,C,C

lurkily

Quote from: 4xC on September 25, 2012, 02:29:53 PM
How does it serve very well to it? All-destructive forces in general may need to learn at late points in time to adjust their priorities to counter larger threats than undestroyed ground. After all, units that require a line of sight may need this if they need to have another weakness to balance things out. That is only in the event that the line of sight units need to be weakened to balance it out.

By the way, shouldn't the terp require a line of sight too since they use straight beams to work on ground? Otherwise, they would shoot their terraforming beams through higher ground inbetween them.
I think I'd prefer not to sacrifice gameplay in favor of strict realism with terps - the manual management required to make terps function intelligently despite that restriction is ridiculous.

We can also look into re-working the visual effect into something else, if the beam crossing LOS boundaries really bothers players that much, but I don't think making them respect LOS in favor of realism over gameplay is the answer.

Blaze

The terp beam could be arcing somewhat, so it's not straight because it curves up a bit, then back down to hit the target spot?
Just a thought if it really bothers some people. :)

Lord_Farin

Quote from: Blaze on September 25, 2012, 05:31:14 PM
The terp beam could be arcing somewhat, so it's not straight because it curves up a bit, then back down to hit the target spot?
A simpler solution would be to place it later in the drawing sequence (so that it will paint over the terrain); probably this is how it works in any case.
Behold, Nexus! Looketh skywards, for thy obliteration thence nighs, my foul enemy!

Blaze

Quote from: Lord_Farin on September 25, 2012, 06:24:05 PM
Quote from: Blaze on September 25, 2012, 05:31:14 PM
A simpler solution would be to place it later in the drawing sequence (so that it will paint over the terrain); probably this is how it works in any case.

I posted that for people who think the terp should need a line of sight/can't fire at higher terrain like the blaster. :D

4xC

Quote from: lurkily on September 25, 2012, 05:14:02 PM
I think I'd prefer not to sacrifice gameplay in favor of strict realism with terps - the manual management required to make terps function intelligently despite that restriction is ridiculous.

We can also look into re-working the visual effect into something else, if the beam crossing LOS boundaries really bothers players that much, but I don't think making them respect LOS in favor of realism over gameplay is the answer.

I didn't mean to imply any strictness for anything. I was making a statement that had a topic which weas in controversy with itself. The game has physics limits like LOS for pulse cannons and I didn't think it made sense that terps could shoot beams through ground to change other ground. And I have no intention to force anything unto anyone (The situation would literally have to be about 20 times as desperate as this and this is moderately desperate I would say.)

It was just a matter of discussion and debate over what to do about the terp's parodixial performance with the beam it fires at ground. If it is a redunant matter like you suggest, then so be it. I don't judge without good reason.

An idea I have about this, in the event it does bother other players (I am not bothered, I'm just openly wondering and bringing up either a potential or full-on controversy)), is that the circular thing on the terp where the beam comes from becomes designed to rise from the boxy body to gain a LOS at other ground.

Then again, I just now thought that it could be totally redundant because: what if you wanted to terraform ground when it is at 1 level and all surrounding ground is at 10?
C,C,C,C

Nemoricus

Quote from: 4xC on September 26, 2012, 12:16:26 AM
Then again, I just now thought that it could be totally redundant because: what if you wanted to terraform ground when it is at 1 level and all surrounding ground is at 10?
This is an excellent example of why having Terp ignore LOS requirements is a good gameplay simplification. For a less extreme example, what if the surrounding terrain is all 10 and the hole is at 9? Even at a small distance from the hole, the terp would lose LOS to the bottom.

tornado

or you could ues my pad idea.

it would keep in LOS and if that dose not work just say that the self raise to match terrain hight.
i mean it bothers me ad well so a came up whit a way round.
but my idea will be ignored inevetby.
Now CEO of Particular Endeavors. http://knucklecracker.com/forums/index.php?topic=23752.new#new
We apologize for all inconveniences that we caused.
Quotefirst, you have to imagine a very big box, fitting inside a very samll box.
then, you have to build one