Creeper World 3 Suggestions Initiative

Started by Mr.H, May 04, 2012, 12:51:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

4xC

Quote from: lurkily on September 14, 2012, 05:38:53 PM
Quote from: 4xC on September 14, 2012, 04:31:50 PM
So now the big concern is the computer tech relation holding between it and the game software, I presume?
Alpha is typically the place to address fundamentals.  All of the fundamentals.  It's where you make sure that everything WORKS, from the core gameplay you want to release, to whether mechanics are translatong to aesthetics properly, to your coding, to the game's interface with various hardware. 

Well the fundamentals look like they are almost too in order to alter. Although, I just now thought that advanced as CW3 should be compared to the first 2, I imagine there may be much more lag in some cases where a lot is done at once. Perhaps overbuilding with a LOT of construction sites should be made an impossibility. In the first 2, you could put sites almost anywhere you wanted whether or not they would actually get built as long as the grounds were not touched by creeper at the moment.

Also, I don't see how the reversion to network lines will work out in the storyline after they introduced wireless transmission in 2. Maybe there should be some way to install wireless transmission in CW3 without making the wirelessness-inabling units too good. I have to ask, does it not seem like network lines for packets would be a step backwards for the third storyline time period after the "Phantom Energy Field" was integrated in the second?
C,C,C,C

lurkily

it's easy to explain things like this.  Maybe their use aids the enemy, or they 'pollute' sub-space, or something.  I'm sure V will explain it somehow.

4xC

Yeah. good point. It should be explained. Liking the idea of finding out what it is that set the transmission to where it is now. Still, those relays with their speed upgrades have made a GREAT comeback.

Also, I just now had a thougt: maybe the game could use more music tracks than it had before in the past 2 games. The past music was good, but now I think we could use a bigger variety. Music has always been a factor of attunement to me and that is another reason why I love certain games. If CW3 has a wider range of tracks, I will be exponentially satisfied.  ;D
C,C,C,C

tornado

Now CEO of Particular Endeavors. http://knucklecracker.com/forums/index.php?topic=23752.new#new
We apologize for all inconveniences that we caused.
Quotefirst, you have to imagine a very big box, fitting inside a very samll box.
then, you have to build one

Mr.H

Quote from: Kharnellius on September 14, 2012, 11:19:49 AM
Title: Burst Emitters
Author: Kharnellius
Type: Enemy
Desc:

Something that would be neat is if some (not all, and not right in the beginning necessarily) ... if some creeper emitters had a timer like the spore launchers. They would produce creeper as normal but when the timer ran out it would BURST out a large amount of extra creeper.

This would force a little strategy as you may want to back off a bit until it "bursts" so you can suppress the extra creeper, mount a counter attack and nullify it before it can "burst" again.  Currently, attacking emitters is very straightforward and doesn't require any really quick action on your part.  This can kind of make it boring after a while.

I think this would help spice things up a bit.
Thanks for using the correct formula :D !

I've updated the thread with more of everyone's ideas.
Good evening/morning/night/afternoon
You are now reading my signature...
Stop reading IT!

4xC

Quote from: tornado on September 15, 2012, 01:55:27 AM
that was MY ignored suggestion.

Was it? Well in any case, games with few music tracks still had super-great music. Aside of the music we heard in the demo clips on the blog, I hope whatever other music is used in CW3 is either just as good or even better. I mean, take for example the tracks in Starcraft 1 and 1.5. Those tracks constantly replay themselves in my head b/c they were so awesome.

Also, maybe the AC could be launched from mortars as well as the bombers as a choice of alternative.
C,C,C,C

lurkily

DestinyAtlantis

Quote from: Mr.H on September 15, 2012, 05:20:18 AM
Quote from: Kharnellius on September 14, 2012, 11:19:49 AM
Title: Burst Emitters
Author: Kharnellius
Type: Enemy
Desc:

Something that would be neat is if some (not all, and not right in the beginning necessarily) ... if some creeper emitters had a timer like the spore launchers. They would produce creeper as normal but when the timer ran out it would BURST out a large amount of extra creeper.

This would force a little strategy as you may want to back off a bit until it "bursts" so you can suppress the extra creeper, mount a counter attack and nullify it before it can "burst" again.  Currently, attacking emitters is very straightforward and doesn't require any really quick action on your part.  This can kind of make it boring after a while.

I think this would help spice things up a bit.
Thanks for using the correct formula :D !

I've updated the thread with more of everyone's ideas.
Actually, that kind of thing(but no visual timer) could easily be done with CW1, by stacking 2 or more emitters, 1 would burst out normally, the second 1 would start bursting out x seconds/minutes after map start with y amount of creeper, then repeat every z seconds/minutes after first burst, and you can stack lots of emitters with different starter times/creeper amount/repeat times.
And since we are combining the digging(turned into terraforming) from CW2 and the top-down network CW1, we can make those kinds of emitters again(if we couldn't in CW2, that is)
Are we going to add the the gravity tunnels, are we going to make them bigger? Can there be added a gravity well?

4xC

Speaking of gravity, time to talk shields. All they do is make a circular grav force that pushes away creper and AC. What if there was a unit with a more flexible way of moving the creeper? I'm talking a unit that can pull or push it in a straight line so nothing gets leftover or behind. And remember in the clip where the super shield destroys a relay by pushing creeper into it?

Well, what if there was a unit or modification to the shield that could make creeper movement more direct? Such as a straight-beam gravity manipulator like the repulsor that pushes and/or could pull C or AC in a straight path instead of just a circular direction only?
C,C,C,C

Wheatmidge

Quote from: 4xC on September 17, 2012, 11:13:38 PM
Speaking of gravity, time to talk shields. All they do is make a circular grav force that pushes away creper and AC. What if there was a unit with a more flexible way of moving the creeper? I'm talking a unit that can pull or push it in a straight line so nothing gets leftover or behind. And remember in the clip where the super shield destroys a relay by pushing creeper into it?

Well, what if there was a unit or modificaztino to the shield that could make creeper movement more direct? Such as a straight-beam gravity manipulator like the repulsor that pushes and/or could pull C or AC in a straight path instead of just a circular direction only?
I think I am opposed to this idea. variety is good, but a straight line gravity generator doesn't really make sense to me. Though a fan shaped one could be cool. or the option to select what arc a gravity generator creates. so you could make a semi circle. I guess that would mainly push the one way. So it would sortof work like you suggested.

lurkily

Quote from: Wheatmidge on September 18, 2012, 12:28:43 PM

Well, what if there was a unit or modificaztino to the shield that could make creeper movement more direct? Such as a straight-beam gravity manipulator like the repulsor that pushes and/or could pull C or AC in a straight path instead of just a circular direction only?
I think I am opposed to this idea. variety is good, but a straight line gravity generator doesn't really make sense to me. Though a fan shaped one could be cool. or the option to select what arc a gravity generator creates. so you could make a semi circle. I guess that would mainly push the one way. So it would sortof work like you suggested.
We had such things in CW2.  Remember, what applies to gravity does not necessarily apply to fields.

Wheatmidge

Quote from: lurkily on September 18, 2012, 01:45:51 PM
Quote from: Wheatmidge on September 18, 2012, 12:28:43 PM

We had such things in CW2.  Remember, what applies to gravity does not necessarily apply to fields.

Has virgil commented about the use of fields for map creation? I think fields in funny designs are fun and add a great deal of options to the creation of customs maps, but as far as units are conerned,I like the spherical generator more than one that pushes in a line.

4xC

Well, if there is something I may be missing that ultimately makes the shield the top notch replacement in every way to the repulsor, I would like to know. I am not quite aware, aside of the circular field, of anything that is as in control of creeper and anti-creeper movement in the units area as the repulsor. I just don't see how much control you can have over the C/AC movement with just the shield alone.
C,C,C,C

lurkily

Quote from: 4xC on September 19, 2012, 01:03:15 AM

Well, if there is something I may be missing that ultimately makes the shield the top notch replacement in every way to the repulsor, I would like to know. I am not quite aware, aside of the circular field, of anything that is as in control of creeper and anti-creeper movement in the units area as the repulsor. I just don't see how much control you can have over the C/AC movement with just the shield alone.
Shields require many fewer units to cover an area, as few as one if creeper density isn't extreme, and the bottleneck can be covered by that shield.  The radius of a shield would require something like or seven repulsors to cross.  If you really need two shields instead of seven repulsors, I still count that a win.

I certainly hope to see player units that can manipulate fields in a more detailed way, though, and I'll definitely do my part to encourage interesting field use by the player, as well as by mapmakers.

4xC

Quote from: lurkily on September 19, 2012, 10:44:18 AM
Shields require many fewer units to cover an area, as few as one if creeper density isn't extreme, and the bottleneck can be covered by that shield.  The radius of a shield would require something like or seven repulsors to cross.  If you really need two shields instead of seven repulsors, I still count that a win.

I certainly hope to see player units that can manipulate fields in a more detailed way, though, and I'll definitely do my part to encourage interesting field use by the player, as well as by mapmakers.

Okay then. So the shield does have superiority to the repulsor. That is established at this point. And yeah, I suppose field manipulations depend on the players as much as the maps.  8)

So what do you mean by bottlenecks? I am unfamiliar with that term. ??? Is that the term for "terranean choke point"? I know I ask a lot, but wherever I am, I'm usually the guy that catches the subtlest details that NO ONE else does at first, and being inquisitive is something that helps me do that which is typically tolerated by people who know that my voice sounds like someone from radio talk shows. And I'm open to anything anyone's got for me.
C,C,C,C