Creeper World 3 Suggestions Initiative

Started by Mr.H, May 04, 2012, 12:51:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wheatmidge

having something else added in as an option sounds good. I have never been a fan of spores or phantoms. I don't like the theory that you only have a single counter to the object. I much prefer drones in cw2, where you can stop them with walls with blasters or even with drone evasion. Having different ways to approach the problem seems much more interesting to me.

4xC

Quote from: Wheatmidge on September 13, 2012, 02:53:59 PM
having something else added in as an option sounds good. I have never been a fan of spores or phantoms. I don't like the theory that you only have a single counter to the object. I much prefer drones in cw2, where you can stop them with walls with blasters or even with drone evasion. Having different ways to approach the problem seems much more interesting to me.

I was wondering if anyone else was going to register the problem wothout mentioning my ex-idea for worms. The CW2 drones were better than the phantoms in that there was always another way to fight them. I am hoping for an expansion to the particle beam priorities and/or abilities.
C,C,C,C

lurkily

There will be more to the final game thanwe see - I'm certainw we'll see more discrete enemies than just spores for instance.  Right now though, V is not in a place where he seems more concerned with fundamentals, so it's probably best to tuck this away for when the game leaves alpha.

4xC

Quote from: lurkily on September 13, 2012, 04:23:31 PM
There will be more to the final game thanwe see - I'm certainw we'll see more discrete enemies than just spores for instance.  Right now though, V is not in a place where he seems more concerned with fundamentals, so it's probably best to tuck this away for when the game leaves alpha.

So what sort of current things are there as to what to do about the alpha settings? So far, it looks to me like it is already to be a mostly final alpha product. If there is anything, I would appreciate knowing what. A lot of the stuff I have seen talk and upbringing of is stuff that I hear will be later matters on account of how many of them are smaller details.

I must also add that this frequent way of catching on with what each party on the forums is pointing out and what hasn't yet been registered really is making time go by faster than it ever has before in my case.  :o
C,C,C,C

lurkily

Even I don't know what's planned, really.  The beta group is an inner circle, but not THE inner circle, you know?  But onside ring how CW expanded from 1 to 2, I'm confident we haven't seen it ll.  I mean, we haven't even seen beta yet.

Nemoricus

4xC, much of what has been said about the alpha is public knowledge via one or another of Virgil's videos, and that is all anyone with access can say about it.

You can ask questions about it, sure, but understand that you might not be able to get an answer to them.

lurkily

Quote from: Nemoricus on September 13, 2012, 07:36:21 PMYou can ask questions about it, sure, but understand that you might not be able to get an answer to them.
Thought I had posted something to that effect . . . damn.  Thanks for the catch, Nem.

4xC

Quote from: Nemoricus on September 13, 2012, 07:36:21 PM
4xC, much of what has been said about the alpha is public knowledge via one or another of Virgil's videos, and that is all anyone with access can say about it.

You can ask questions about it, sure, but understand that you might not be able to get an answer to them.

So basically, it's hard to suggest any significant alpha changes that could be useful? We,ve seen a lot of demonstrations and pics on the blog and it looks almost hard to perfect anymore that it already has been. (at least considering that some titans are said to be kept secret until further notice.)

Beyond what we already saw, all I can see happening as a major alpha progress report or change is the impossibility of someone-having-enough-time-to-play-through-a-large-map,-record-it,-and-posting-it-on-the-blog-for-Virgil-since-his-time-is-cramped-with-the-development-and-all coming true.

What else is new?  ??? ??? ???
C,C,C,C

Nemoricus

Suffice to say that Virgil has plans for the game beyond what has been shown so far. The core experience may be coming together nicely, but Creeper World 3 is a long way from a complete game....

lurkily

Quote from: 4xC on September 13, 2012, 10:41:01 PMBeyond what we already saw, all I can see happening as a major alpha progress report or change is the impossibility of someone-having-enough-time-to-play-through-a-large-map,-record-it,-and-posting-it-on-the-blog-for-Virgil-since-his-time-is-cramped-with-the-development-and-all coming true.
Keep in mind, you can see the unit lists and such in the videos - it's clear that most of what's implemented has been demonstrated from those videos.   Just because we can't talk about it doesn't mean that your information is necessarily out of date.

Suggesting changes is fine.  Keep in mind though, that similar concepts may already be on the drawing board.  That doesn't mean those suggestions are useless - they might help tune the final product.

Also keep in mind that a lot of ideas are being shelved until fundamentals are sound - the game isn't even in beta yet.

4xC

Okay. So we just submit our opinions on possible changes and input on reported progress. That sounds good to me at the present time. I am mildly surprised to think of CW3 as early to be honest. I recall first seeing fresh blog posts within the start of the 2012 Summer about the development of CW3.

I repeat: the game looks mostly done. But if I understand correctly, the big issue is balance between the players and creeper. And I also understand that Virgil is going to work on titans after core gameplay has been established; on the other hand, some of them as he said will be hidden from us until release. I think with a current overview or a general summary of what is unbalanced to the best of what can be known legally to vieweres like us, the current criteria can be a little more easily followed.

I don't try to post request after request, but they pop into my head a frequently as my questions. Again, I hope I am not hassling anyone. Also, why does the draft page of a forum post not let you see the bottom when you have a quote at the top?

Keep in mind, you can see the unit lists and such in the videos - it's clear that most of what's implemented has been demonstrated from those videos.   Just because we can't talk about it doesn't mean that your information is necessarily out of date.

Suggesting changes is fine.  Keep in mind though, that similar concepts may already be on the drawing board.  That doesn't mean those suggestions are useless - they might help tune the final product.

Also keep in mind that a lot of ideas are being shelved until fundamentals are sound - the game isn't even in beta yet. 
C,C,C,C

Kharnellius

Title: Burst Emitters
Author: Kharnellius
Type: Enemy
Desc:

Something that would be neat is if some (not all, and not right in the beginning necessarily) ... if some creeper emitters had a timer like the spore launchers. They would produce creeper as normal but when the timer ran out it would BURST out a large amount of extra creeper.

This would force a little strategy as you may want to back off a bit until it "bursts" so you can suppress the extra creeper, mount a counter attack and nullify it before it can "burst" again.  Currently, attacking emitters is very straightforward and doesn't require any really quick action on your part.  This can kind of make it boring after a while.

I think this would help spice things up a bit.

lurkily

The videos do show a very fundamentally sound game, for an alpha.  V has stated before that he usually wants a game to be fully playable as a game (Rather than just a stable dev build, or a stable proof-of-concept) before it enters beta, which in my experience is further than many indie devs go.

My experience is that in alpha, the biggest concerns of a developer are usually stablity, optimization of those things that hog CPU cycles or memory, things that cause display errors, things that prevent gameplay, or gross gameplay issues that overwhelmingly disrupt gameplay.

Things like new guns and balance concerns are usually things that are put off until later.  That way if time runs short for some reason, and they need to release before every last thing is ready, the fundamentals are sound, and they can focus on polishing the game into a product that's ready for release, and can possibly be expanded after release.

4xC

So now the big concern is the computer tech relation holding between it and the game software, I presume?
C,C,C,C

lurkily

Quote from: 4xC on September 14, 2012, 04:31:50 PM
So now the big concern is the computer tech relation holding between it and the game software, I presume?
Alpha is typically the place to address fundamentals.  All of the fundamentals.  It's where you make sure that everything WORKS, from the core gameplay you want to release, to whether mechanics are translatong to aesthetics properly, to your coding, to the game's interface with various hardware.