Creeper World 3 Suggestions Initiative

Started by Mr.H, May 04, 2012, 12:51:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tornado

idea
2 sided creeper
concept:a form of creeper that is not on your dide but harms the enemy

from tornado
Now CEO of Particular Endeavors. http://knucklecracker.com/forums/index.php?topic=23752.new#new
We apologize for all inconveniences that we caused.
Quotefirst, you have to imagine a very big box, fitting inside a very samll box.
then, you have to build one

Ebon Heart

This is just an idea, obviously. But what about meteors(either timed or conditional) that could destroy units and creeper/anti creeper in an area, as well as affect the terrain level and maybe even drop off new emitters. This would be perfect to change the layout of a level mid mission, leaving you to quickly have to adapt to new circumstances, or pay the price.
When the going gets tough, the tough get going. The smart left a long time ago.
Check out the amazing A Tragedy Forgotten CW2 map series!

lurkily

Quote from: tornado on June 26, 2012, 01:59:43 PM
idea
2 sided creeper
Creeper 'factions' have been suggested via the blog, and shot down. Basically, creeper and AC are both a single int(), with  negative values representing AC.  Therefore, more than two creeper factions (creeper and AC) would require changes to the way creeper works internally.

Also, visually contrasting creeper from terrain is a challenge, and there aren't many colors that suit the purpose.

Michionlion

Quote from: lurkily on June 26, 2012, 03:23:16 PM
Quote from: tornado on June 26, 2012, 01:59:43 PM
idea
2 sided creeper
Creeper 'factions' have been suggested via the blog, and shot down. Basically, creeper and AC are both a single int(), with  negative values representing AC.  Therefore, more than two creeper factions (creeper and AC) would require changes to the way creeper works internally.

Also, visually contrasting creeper from terrain is a challenge, and there aren't many colors that suit the purpose.

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
int[]

"Remember kids, the only difference between science and messing around is writing it down."
                                                                                                                         - Adam Savage

My website
My CW1, and CW2 maps!

thepenguin

We have become the creeper...

Michionlion

Quote from: thepenguin on June 26, 2012, 05:12:03 PM
@mich, it depends on the language

he has said he is writing it in c#, where it is int[].  i have yet to see an array in a language that does not use '[]' (excluding the unityscript one, that is a scripting langauge.  doesn't count :D)
"Remember kids, the only difference between science and messing around is writing it down."
                                                                                                                         - Adam Savage

My website
My CW1, and CW2 maps!

xing

blaster 'overdrive' mode - fire a continual beam burning the surface creeper while energy / health lasts - doing this would also damage the blaster while active - could be usfull to be able to burn energy faster to kill faster in some battles

well they are lasers and it makes sense that they can fire in more than just short bursts

lurkily

Quote from: Michionlion on June 26, 2012, 08:26:13 PM

he has said he is writing it in c#, where it is int[].  i have yet to see an array in a language that does not use '[]' (excluding the unityscript one, that is a scripting langauge.  doesn't count :D)
I got the specific use of "int()" from Virgil's post on the wall describing why creeper 'factions' would require much work.

Whether you're mistaken, I'm mistaken,  he was mistaken, or if he simply used a different syntax (or less care) because he wasn't posting within the strictures of code is really not a concern of mine.

Michionlion

Quote from: lurkily on June 27, 2012, 07:50:10 AM

he has said he is writing it in c#, where it is int[].  i have yet to see an array in a language that does not use '[]' (excluding the unityscript one, that is a scripting langauge.  doesn't count :D)
I got the specific use of "int()" from Virgil's post on the wall describing why creeper 'factions' would require much work.

Whether you're mistaken, I'm mistaken,  he was mistaken, or if he simply used a different syntax (or less care) because he wasn't posting within the strictures of code is really not a concern of mine.

.... :

Quote from: Virgil's blog comment on creeper factions
There are two implementation challenges with this.
- One is like you say, it’s hard to get two types of Creeper to be visible on the map due to having to pick colors that contrast with terrain textures, much less three or four.
-Two are the data structures used to represent Creeper. Currently there’s an int[]. Negative values are AC. Works great for simulator efficiency. To add more Creeper types requires another int[] and more complex comparisons and arithmetic during the simulation evaluation.
Neither of these mean it can’t be done, just that there are implementation and performance trade offs. That said, I’m itching to try at least two alternate types of Creeper

you're right.  Letting it slide :D
                                                                                                                         - Adam Savage

My website
My CW1, and CW2 maps!

lurkily

Quote from: Michionlion on June 27, 2012, 08:00:08 AM
Quote from: lurkily on June 27, 2012, 07:50:10 AM

.... :
Quote from: Virgil's blog comment on creeper factions
There are two implementation challenges with this.
- One is like you say, it's hard to get two types of Creeper to be visible on the map due to having to pick colors that contrast with terrain textures, much less three or four.
-Two are the data structures used to represent Creeper. Currently there's an int[]. Negative values are AC. Works great for simulator efficiency. To add more Creeper types requires another int[] and more complex comparisons and arithmetic during the simulation evaluation.
Neither of these mean it can't be done, just that there are implementation and performance trade offs. That said, I'm itching to try at least two alternate types of Creeper
you're right.  Letting it slide :D
Ah, you had it right.  Still not terribly concerned, but I'll stand corrected.

Michionlion

- Adam Savage

My website
My CW1, and CW2 maps!

2b3o4o

Quote from: xing on June 27, 2012, 06:12:55 AM
blaster 'overdrive' mode - fire a continual beam burning the surface creeper while energy / health lasts - doing this would also damage the blaster while active - could be usfull to be able to burn energy faster to kill faster in some battles

well they are lasers and it makes sense that they can fire in more than just short bursts
They are not lasers. They are rapid fire missile launchers.

lurkily

Also, the pulse cannons of cw3 use a projectile. It's very fast so it's similar to the blasters in effectiveness, theoretically, but it isn't quite a laser beam.

I do like the idea of one shot super abilities that need to be recharged slowly. Not sure it fits the game, though.

MadMag

That's where the Bertha steps in.
Maybe you can add AC to your PC ammo when the "AC factory" is up and running

lurkily

What I mean by one-shots is something overpowered for each particular weapon, that takes a long time to recharge.  Something that can't be stocked up just by having many weapons.  (Perhaps an upgrade that must be built onto a weapon, is instantly effective, but goes away in a short while.)

As I said, though, I'm not sure it fits CW.